Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
With over 90% of those deaths having one or more pre existing long term medical condition or being obese and still only 6th on the list making it overblown relative to the resulting actions and lock downs.

No one is stating it’s insignificant. Only that the reaction is overblown.
Especially when one considers all of the businesses and peoples finances being destroyed in the process. So destroying millions of people’s livelihoods in order to save the lives of hundreds, mostly of which, were already sick. Yeah, sound plan. LOL
Oh you're a truther ok. To my ignore.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks man. I’ll, no doubt, sleep well and in peace. ;)
I’m glad. And probably better than the 473 people now hospitalized with Covid in Iowa. That’s a new all-time high!

GoFast

Oct 6, 2020
LOL. More to do with the mask mandate changing and or modifying people’s behaviors than actually the wearing of mask.
1. you didn’t read the article
2. it’s not peered reviewed

nice try.

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1 and alarson

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Imagine a virus so deadly that one has to get tested in order to confirm that they had it. LOL.

They have tests for the flu and even though it's bacterial they test for strep.

Finding out you have it helps to not spread it.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
With over 90% of those deaths having one or more pre existing long term medical condition or being obese and still only 6th on the list making it overblown relative to the resulting actions and lock downs.

No one is stating it’s insignificant. Only that the reaction is overblown.
Especially when one considers all of the businesses and peoples finances being destroyed in the process. So destroying millions of people’s livelihoods in order to save the lives of hundreds, mostly of which, were already sick. Yeah, sound plan. LOL

Most of the businesses I've seen go under were on their way out anyway or were barely getting by...is it fair to look at it that way since the same approach is used for lives?

• Creative
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
LOL. More to do with the mask mandate changing and or modifying people’s behaviors than actually the wearing of mask.
1. you didn’t read the article
2. it’s not peered reviewed

nice try.

Many of the articles you have referenced have not been subjected to peer review including the one from the guy back in March. You clearly didn't read the article I posted, either, beyond reading the summary. If you actually care about this, take your own advice on these things and begin with an open mind instead of starting from a set opinion and finding information that supports it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Very true. They could just shove all of the **** into the cave and call it good. Hopefully some folks are happy they are spending time trying to police it so that an informational thread on COVID-19 can exist outside the cave. Maybe it isn't worth it.

The last few pages seem to be a ******** of personal insults. I am assuming that would fit well in the cave.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The CDC admitted the 0.27% rate as well months ago. Meanwhile, since putting a mask on a sheep is somehow a political statement here is the latest under-powered CDC survey. Basically shows masks had no correlation.

View attachment 76560

That study's findings were not on masks, but that close contacts by living with a COVID + person or going to restaurants/bars were associated with contracting COVID. It stated that people that had positive COVID tests were twice as likely to have gone to restaurants/bars/coffee shops than people who tested negative. The argument is you can't effectively wear masks in those situations. It did not come to the conclusion that mask wearing is ineffective at preventing spread.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They have tests for the flu and even though it's bacterial they test for strep.

Finding out you have it helps to not spread it.

Finding out if you actually have it in enough viral load to actually be sick and/or contagious is very important too. Unfortunately, we're still catching a ton of cases where they aren't, because our testing is way, way too sensitive (85-90% of cases may not be either sick or contagious).

"Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California-Riverside, said she believes any test with a cycle threshold over 35 is too sensitive. "I'm shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive," she said.

And according to Mandavilli, a review conducted by the New York Times of three sets of coronavirus testing data from Massachusetts, Nevada, and New York found that up to 90% of patients in those data sets who tested positive for the coronavirus had very low viral loads.

Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said of the Times review's results, "I'm really shocked that it could be that high—the proportion of people with high [cycle threshold] value results." He added, "Boy, does it really change the way we need to be thinking about testing.""

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Finding out if you actually have it in enough viral load to actually be sick and/or contagious is very important too. Unfortunately, we're still catching a ton of cases where they aren't, because our testing is way, way too sensitive (85-90% of cases may not be either sick or contagious).

"Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California-Riverside, said she believes any test with a cycle threshold over 35 is too sensitive. "I'm shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive," she said.

And according to Mandavilli, a review conducted by the New York Times of three sets of coronavirus testing data from Massachusetts, Nevada, and New York found that up to 90% of patients in those data sets who tested positive for the coronavirus had very low viral loads.

Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said of the Times review's results, "I'm really shocked that it could be that high—the proportion of people with high [cycle threshold] value results." He added, "Boy, does it really change the way we need to be thinking about testing.""

Yeah if we could streamline to really know if someone's not contagious vs. their viral load that would make a difference.

Still, pretty sure at most work places, the general rule is if you have a fever, stay home. Someone could have a fever off and on for several days with a low viral load, and as contagious as that is, that disrupts the work place if in fact it does spread.

Also we're not sure if someone has had it, if they get re-infected, if they're infectious.

Status
Not open for further replies.