Sed Johnson's Catch

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I wanteds to post thsi earlier, but did anyone else notice Sedrick's catch late in the game? What really imprssed me was how, falling down, he caught the ball in front of him with his hands, instead of cradling it to his chest.

I've been waiting for him to get his feet on the ground and really blossom, I'm really looking forward to the next three years of this kid's career--let alone the next three games!:biggrin:

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I definitely agree and I think once he completely grasps the offense and the light bulb goes on, teams will have a tough time stopping him.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
ive taken solace in the fact that darks has become a pretty decent weapon on offense. while i expect sed to pick it up, at least were 50/50 at the moment on the young standout WRs making solid contributions.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
ive taken solace in the fact that darks has become a pretty decent weapon on offense. while i expect sed to pick it up, at least were 50/50 at the moment on the young standout WRs making solid contributions.

Sed has 15 grabs and will probably get around 25 and 250 yards if his recent production keeps up. That's really all you can expect out of a freshman. Both of them will be great.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I have a complaint.

Why do we recruit a 4* WR who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch verticle and never throw the ball downfield to him? I know we need to mix it up but basically all of his catches are on screen passes or quick slants. To me that is not using him to the best of his abilities

Last edited:

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Sed has 15 grabs and will probably get around 25 and 250 yards if his recent production keeps up. That's really all you can expect out of a freshman. Both of them will be great.

im happy with seds production as a freshmen. not knocking him one bit, but its good to see darks already ahead of the pack/learning curve. At this point darks has given us a good view into his possible future, and i fully expect sed to live up to his lofty potential.

regardless, 1 really excelling already gives the fans something to be utterly excited about.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have a complaint.

Why do we recruit a 4* WR who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch verticle and never throw the ball downfield to him. I know we need to mix it up but basicall all of his catches are on screen passes or quick slants. To me that is not using him to the best of his abilities

I'm just speculating here, but maybe Sed doesn't know the plays well enough for us to use him on anything more complicated than a screen or slant. Also, we haven't thrown the ball deep much since the Kansas game. Maybe the line can't block long enough to give Arnaud and the receivers time to go for a deep ball?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I have a complaint.

Why do we recruit a 4* WR who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch verticle and never throw the ball downfield to him. I know we need to mix it up but basicall all of his catches are on screen passes or quick slants. To me that is not using him to the best of his abilities

Because he has had a hard time getting open on anything but screens and slants and has dropped allot of passes this year. We have thrown down field allot this year (compared to last), but if they are not catching the balls what can the coaches do?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm just speculating here, but maybe Sed doesn't know the plays well enough for us to use him on anything more complicated than a screen or slant. Also, we haven't thrown the ball deep much since the Kansas game. Maybe the line can't block long enough to give Arnaud and the receivers time to go for a deep ball?

If he doesn't have the mental capacity to understand "you're going long on this one" - I'm shocked he can even get his helmet on.

I highly doubt this is the case - more likely our offense is not a deep ball scheme and the blocking isn't quite there yet.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I think he's getting manhandled by the defensive backs and isn't strong enough yet to get separation.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

He shouldn't be playing football if he doesn't know what a fly, post, flag is.

The line comment may be true though. Although I would argue you don't need a ton of time to run a fly pattern. 2 seconds and you can throw a 40 yards pass.

Because he has had a hard time getting open on anything but screens and slants and has dropped allot of passes this year. We have thrown down field allot this year (compared to last), but if they are not catching the balls what can the coaches do?

How do we know he has a hard time getting open? We haven't tried it. He got open on a deep pass against Iowa and we just missed him in the back of the end zone. Also, we have not thrown down field a lot this year and I don't remember Sed having a problem catching the ball. He actually has the 3 best catches of the season if you ask me

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He shouldn't be playing football if he doesn't know what a fly, post, flag is.

The line comment may be true though. Although I would argue you don't need a ton of time to run a fly pattern. 2 seconds and you can throw a 40 yards pass.

How do we know he has a hard time getting open? We haven't tried it. He got open on a deep pass against Iowa and we just missed him in the back of the end zone.

Agreed.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think he's getting manhandled by the defensive backs and isn't strong enough yet to get separation.

This is the main thing... The best time to go deep is when the defense is up in tight coverage, but you have to be able to get off the bump. Sed isn't quite strong enough to run through guys yet and get behind them, otherwise we would see alot more deep routes....

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

Bingo. Sed needs an offseason in the weightroom. Darks is a more compact kid and also quicker, so it's easier for him to compete against DBs. Taller lankier WRs need muscle to be able to use their bodies to sheild the DB from the ball. Look for SJ to really make a splash next season.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Both guys are pretty awesome for true freshman WRs. Gives us a good future there.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Bingo. Sed needs an offseason in the weightroom. Darks is a more compact kid and also quicker, so it's easier for him to compete against DBs. Taller lankier WRs need muscle to be able to use their bodies to sheild the DB from the ball. Look for SJ to really make a splash next season.

Darks also plays in the slot, so rarely sees the bump and run coverage that Sed sees. I love how Sed catches the ball with his hands though, something that Darks needs to do a better job of...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
How hard is it for us to put Sed in the slot than? We did it for Blythe at times. It allows him to get going without someone jamming him at the line.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
How hard is it for us to put Sed in the slot than? We did it for Blythe at times. It allows him to get going without someone jamming him at the line.

I would definately like to see this some more, but I imagine having to play without a spring limits the true freshmen from mixing a whole lot up...

Next year I would love to see Hamilton as a hybrind TE and Darks, Sed, and Reynolds at WR.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I would definately like to see this some more, but I imagine having to play without a spring limits the true freshmen from mixing a whole lot up...

Next year I would love to see Hamilton as a hybrind TE and Darks, Sed, and Reynolds at WR.

Wait, did I miss something? Did Reynolds commit?