Sed Johnson's Catch

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
How do we know he has a hard time getting open? We haven't tried it. He got open on a deep pass against Iowa and we just missed him in the back of the end zone. Also, we have not thrown down field a lot this year and I don't remember Sed having a problem catching the ball. He actually has the 3 best catches of the season if you ask me

First of all, read your two sentences. They have tried other schemes with him, the reason people don't remember them is because either the ball was thrown to someone else or it was incomplete.

My statement that Sedrick has had allot of drooped passes was worded poorly, he has had allot of passes thrown to him while he was well covered and he was then unable to make the catch. Not completely SJ's fault since the ball should not have been thrown to him, still I think that he should of been able to get some separation on those plays. If he is unable to get separation that would explain why he is getting slants and screens which are the easiest passes to catch.

I'll concede that we haven't thrown the ball deep as much the past 3 or so games, but we have thrown it deep allot more this year and we've thrown it to a number of deferent receivers. Just because we aren't throwing it deep to SJ doesn't mean were not throwing it deep.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I have a complaint.

Why do we recruit a 4* WR who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch verticle and never throw the ball downfield to him. I know we need to mix it up but basicall all of his catches are on screen passes or quick slants. To me that is not using him to the best of his abilities

SO TRUE!!!!!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have a complaint.

Why do we recruit a 4* WR who is 6'4 and has a 40 inch verticle and never throw the ball downfield to him? I know we need to mix it up but basically all of his catches are on screen passes or quick slants. To me that is not using him to the best of his abilities

I would suppose it has something to do with the entire lack of pass protection. Just a wild guess. Austen might not have much time to look deep with an end in his face. :skeptical:

Bingo. Sed needs an offseason in the weightroom. Darks is a more compact kid and also quicker, so it's easier for him to compete against DBs. Taller lankier WRs need muscle to be able to use their bodies to sheild the DB from the ball. Look for SJ to really make a splash next season.

Darks might be wiry, but at 6-1 167, I'd hardly call him "compact". I think both he and Sed will benefit from a year in the weight room--let alone Spring ball.

How hard is it for us to put Sed in the slot than? We did it for Blythe at times. It allows him to get going without someone jamming him at the line.

Putting Sed in the slot means not putting Darius in the slot. And the slot receiver isn't the one who goes deep, which I believe was your original point.

Lots of people have done a marvelous job of debating the points of relevance in my absence. Including that Money would be a perfect complement, should he commit. I enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks!

Help Support Us

Become a patron