What Will You Spend Your $1,000 Stimulus On?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think I would qualify, but if I did I would probably donate it to some charity that is helping with the virus. That or buy season tickets for football.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
start the process of remodeling the basement and replacing bedroom windows. or the work beater needs some maintenance done (CVs, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, maybe some upgraded suspension).

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
As part-owner of an LLC, I have to claim a % of the business profits as income, which makes me ineligible for basically everything with income limits. But we keep all the profits in the business, we don't take distributions other than to pay the tax liability. So my AGI looks like 5x my take home. I know, 1st world problems.

This will help our employees a touch though, which is good. I think we will be OK, but must confess to some concern about keeping the cash flow above $0 and not delaying any payroll or having to consider letting anyone go.

That's why we restructured our corporation a couple of years ago when then dropped the corp tax rate. We set it up as pass through in the beginning since the personal tax rates were cheaper but it was always a pain in the ass. Same as you, if you looked at my taxes you'd think i was rolling in it.

Reactions: CascadeClone

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Why not just temporarily significantly increase the unemployment payments to the people who actually lose their jobs and are the ones that actually need the money? They have already waived the rules on needing to look for work to collect unemployment.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why not just temporarily significantly increase the unemployment payments to the people who actually lose their jobs and are the ones that actually need the money? They have already waived the rules on needing to look for work to collect unemployment.

More people will be hit by this than those who lose their jobs.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Is this going to end like the Bush Jr. $600 check that then went against any tax rebate a person got later in the year?

I have always thought under the Obama stimulus package we would have been better off giving each tax payer $50,000 and then tell them that they have to spend it by the end of the year or return any unspent portion. The money had to go to the purchase of a new American made vehicle, helps the auto industry, or any work on your home, helps out the housing industry.
Instead we gave half the package to the banks, and very little filtered down to the average America.

Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 was $152 Billion.
ARRA of 2009 was $787 Billion

The number you just proposed is about $7.5 Trillion and the Nation Debt at that time was about $10 Trillion. Almost doubling the national debt, so everyone could get a new Chevy would've been awesome.

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy and Dopey

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 was $152 Billion.
ARRA of 2009 was $787 Billion

The number you just proposed is about $7.5 Trillion and the Nation Debt at that time was about $10 Trillion. Almost doubling the national debt, so everyone could get a new Chevy would've been awesome.

It'll cost $7.5T, but the tax revenue would go up by at least $0.5T. So, that's about as fiscally sound as the last round of tax cuts.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Saving mine in the event that having every damn sport shut down will eventually hurt our business and get me laid off work. I may like the extra cash at that point.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Buy an expensive Italian couch for our living room. Wait a second....we did that already back in January. It was on back-order & they told us we wouldn't get it until March. With what's going on overseas, that still may hold true - but it will be March 2022.
I can't imagine how much covid19 will be entwined in that beautiful Italian couch you'll be getting.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I like the idealistic idea of having this work like a Menards rebate. $1000 if used at a local contractor, car dealer, small business, etc.

Reactions: aauummm