I'm tired of hearing about the great Matt Campbell

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He won 7 or more games numerous times. We also had good Nebraska, good Colorado and Texas A/M in the conference then too. MC is the man but coach Mac was the catalyst for all of this.
Amen. Plus Kansas State was a national power, at their peak under Snyder, a far cry from now.
Oh and Mac beat Iowa with regularity.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
To be fair, I didn't start following Iowa State really close until I went there in 2010. Going to a bowl game is first year, was impressive with what cheese-**** did to the program.

But 5-7, 6-7, 6-7 isn't anything special. I wouldn't say he established or 're-built' the fans faith with seasons like that. If he did, they were lost in the following 3 years going 8-28.

He could motivate you to run through a brick wall, but he couldn't recruit, at all.

CPR was never able to build off of the momentum that they briefly had. He was WAY too old school for a program like Iowa State and wouldn't think outside the box.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
2005 team should have won at least 10 games. Couple bad OT losses away from a legendary season.
I believe that year we lost to Baylor by fumbling on the goal line while we were about to take the lead. And then I know we missed the field goal to tie against KU but did we also miss the field goal against Missouri as well?

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I believe that year we lost to Baylor by fumbling on the goal line while we were about to take the lead. And then I know we missed the field goal to tie against KU but did we also miss the field goal against Missouri as well?

I dont remember the Missouri kick, but thay baylor fumble and the dropped int against Nebraksa were just the wind up for the KU miss.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Amen. Plus Kansas State was a national power, at their peak under Snyder, a far cry from now.
Dan McCarney coached 12 seasons at Iowa State and only beat 7 p5 teams with a winning record over that time. Campbell already has 5 in just 3 years. We didn’t start doing any serious winning till Campbell showed up.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I posted this on 7/29/19 in the "If you were JP..." topic. It always starts with a post like this. I believe that CMC should not be above criticism, but careful how you word your criticism.

Check my sig line. :)

Wish we could cut CPR some slack on here. Yes, he lost his team and his staff was a mess towards the end. But he was in reactionary mode most of the time because of things outside of his control. But great coaches get ahead of things, as I think CMC does better than most. But CPR beat #2, at UNL with a sick team, took us to a bowl his first year and rebuilt fan's faith. We built a football facility because of those things. And that facility is the reason for our recruits we are getting along with CMC. Mac started it, Chizik brought recruits that CPR used to win, CPR got facilities and fan support that brought CMC.

Take a deep breath, Cyclone football is in good hands and Saturday was just a game. The trend doesn't seem good right now, but I feel we will see some really good things this year.

Every step along the way is progress unless the school loses faith then it's a fast run back down the hill. It's way easier to lose ground than to keep steady or gain.

Credit where due with everyone mentioned in your post.

And Courtney Messingham is still 3-0.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Dan McCarney coached 12 seasons at Iowa State and only beat 7 p5 teams with a winning record over that time. Campbell already has 5 in just 3 years. We didn’t start doing any serious winning till Campbell showed up.

CPR beat 5 p5 teams with winning records in his first 3 years too, by that measure.

• Informative
Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Missouri miss was definitely in '04 from like 20 yards that would have won the game but I don't remember what happened in '05 outside of RS Freshman Chase Daniel coming in and working over ISU.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Umm, that's a bit strong there calling K-State a far cry today from when Bill Snyder was coaching. But overall, I agree with those here who say Matt Campbell is the right guy for today at ISU. I said early on that the Iowa game would set the tone for this club going into B12 play. Obviously, a win would have been positive but clearly it alone doesn't make or break the season. El Roberson's K-State team lost to Marshall in Manhattan then went on to beat OU in the B12 championship game.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Well had he actually done that more than 1/3 of the time, your point would be brilliant

Bad Mouth will ya ...Dan McCarney stopped the hok streak at 15 straight losses....One of the Greatest Accomplishments in the history of Cyclone Football.....In the first 21 games we won four and toe won the rest....Our history with TOE is a real *****....

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Mac looked at the Iowa game a lot differently than Cambell does. Not to say i dont want to piss pound those guys every year, but id lose another 10 straight if it meant a Big12 Champ or 2

I AGREE esp if it meant getting into the football playoffs.....