Rank the transfers

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I loved Royce and have fond memories of his passes bouncing off Percy Gibson's hands. Remember when we all thought Percy was going to be a really good player because Royce kept setting him up under the basket? Ah, some good memories.

He was just not an efficient player. He reminds me a lot of those Morgan teams -- a few highlights where somebody dribbled between somebody else's legs and made SportsCenter, and then a few times throwing the ball out of bounds on an in-bounds.

It was always boom or bust with him. The off-the-court stuff does not play into it.

Royce was good for a highlight, turnover, or some missed free throws (so what amounts to a turnover) and not really much in the middle, and he was not much for defense. There are at least a handful of our transfers I would prefer to have before him.

Kane
Shayok
Babb
Jacobson
McKay

...would be a heck of a team. Swap McKay for Clyburn if you want to go four-guards. Those 5-6 (and probably Nick and Scottie off the bench as a second PG and bench gunner, respectively) would be really good, especially for having a lot of two-way guys.

I am fine with ranking Kane and (presumably at this point in the season) Shayok ahead of White, but to say there are at least a handful of transfers you'd prefer before him is crazy IMO.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
For most comes down to Kane vs White for the #1 transfer.
Both produced on the court for one year and got their team to the tourney. Kane grit and will to finish games helped that years team to higher heights (up to Niang's injury), but his team was talent overall better than Royce's. Royce should get a slight bump for being the first transfer class and bringing Hoiball to national relevance including the first NCAA in years, jump starting the programs current success. I'd also argue if Royce didn't come to ISU Kane quite possibly wouldn't have come to Ames to be missing piece on that team. White, Babb, Allen, Christoperson, and Booker class success made ISU the destination for transfers.

In the end Royce gets the #1 spot for the overall transfer for starting focus town and being the first to get ISU on the national radar after the early 2000's teams.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Royce certainly made a lot of circus passes, yes.

But he also turned the ball over a lot and was a 50% free throw shooter. He was high usage, not much of a defender, and not very good on the offensive glass.

Plenty of the transfers were more individually productive (e.g., Kane and Shayok) and/or more versatile (e.g., the Babb brothers) players useful across any roster type.

That's ironic, you're bringing up TO's for Royce, but yet go back and look at how often Kane turned the ball over too. Both were great transfers, but Royce stays ahead because he was usually the best player on the floor and could take games over. That wasn't always the case with Kane, who was also turnover prone.

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
For the OP's list, I'd probably move Clyburn down a little, Burton up a notch or two, and Nader up a notch. Otherwise, can't argue it.

Reactions: Messi

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
They're all great! Happy to have every one of them.

Considering the depths of the McDermott era, which I had not seen in my lifetime of Cyclone basketball, it was such a gift to get Fred and his band of transfers to bring ISU back to relevance.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Consider me on the Royce White train too. The dude lead our team in scoring, rebounding and assists if I remember correctly. We were nothing without Royce that year. The highlight reel plays and Lottery pick was just the cherry on the top..

Not only scoring, rebounds, and assists, he also led the team in steals and blocks.

I kind of understand the people who want to put Kane ahead of White, but putting anyone else ahead of him is nuts. I think people are forgetting that White's team was only an 8 seed. Without White, that's not a tournament team. There were games where you could say he "disappeared" (he had 4 games with under 10 points in Big 12 play). But in those games, he was putting up 7+ assists and 7+ rebounds and doing enough to make sure the team won (they won all 4 of those games). There was one game where Royce played fewer than 5 minutes (the Mississippi State game, I don't remember why he barely played), Iowa State won that game by 2, at home. I think that probably shows his impact on that team.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
White was a generational player, to be sure. A skill set that few his size ever had. But Kane could will his team to win. And I agree with the argument that Kane's teams were more talented, overall, than Royce's.....and yet Daddy seemed to make everyone else play better. There was no question who the man - and I mean THE MAN - was when Kane was on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: leschmick1785

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
This thread got me to look up DeAndre Kane's basketball odyssey since ISU. The first page of wikipedia now says: DeAndre Kane (born June 10, 1989) is an American-Hungarian professional basketball player.

Best Hungarian ever?

Seriously though, the dude had an edge about him that not many others had / have. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat!

Edit: It looks like on Kane's Maccabi-Tel-Aviv team that Scottie Wilbekin is also Turkish and Michael Roll (UCLA years ago) is now also Tunisian. Haha. Those crafty Maccabi-Tel-Aviv owners!

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
The Kane/Royce debate is a good one. I was inclined to say Kane by a slim margin, but someone above pointed out that Royce started focus town - possibly leading to players like Kane coming to ISU. I would put them as 1A and 1B because I really do go back and forth on who had the biggest impact. If I were forced to choose, I guess I go with Royce. His complete domination of UCONN in the tourney was fun to watch.

How about this as a way to start a game in the tournament! Easy to say now, but I remember thinking after that opening dunk that there was no way we were losing that game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not only scoring, rebounds, and assists, he also led the team in steals and blocks.

I kind of understand the people who want to put Kane ahead of White, but putting anyone else ahead of him is nuts. I think people are forgetting that White's team was only an 8 seed. Without White, that's not a tournament team. There were games where you could say he "disappeared" (he had 4 games with under 10 points in Big 12 play). But in those games, he was putting up 7+ assists and 7+ rebounds and doing enough to make sure the team won (they won all 4 of those games). There was one game where Royce played fewer than 5 minutes (the Mississippi State game, I don't remember why he barely played), Iowa State won that game by 2, at home. I think that probably shows his impact on that team.
I think that was one of the few games I made it to. Royce was clearly moving at half speed and I suggested he should come out. A woman near me was indignant and said he is sick. I responded that I commend him for trying but he needed to come out if that was all he could give - he was hurting the team. He took himself out of the game shortly after.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
1. SCOTT THUG LYFE CHRISTOPHERSON

Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

4bAzM3.gif

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Royce was the best player I’ve watched in a Cyclone uniform. He was so talented that it was easy to be disappointed when he played just above average.

It’s too bad that 2011-12 team took awhile to gel. Had they started off like 2013-14 and not gotten such a bad seed, they’re going on a deep run imo.

Another what-if is Richard Amardi (rather than Bluford) on that 2013-14 team in combination with Georges not getting injured. Even without the extra post, that team was nearly equitable to 1999-2000 in terms of chances of a title. Of course, that team was 2 Naz heroics away from being 9-9 in conference.