Chizik Will Address QB Situation Tonight

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Release from ISU: Iowa State head football coach Gene Chizik will address the quarterback situation after Friday's practice in the Jacobson Athletic Building. This is not a press conference but coach Chizik will talk after practice.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Im going to go out on a limb and say that he is going to say that both players will be seeing time against SDSU. Call me crazy :)

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Well one would think if he is taking the time to address it today after practice. He has decided on who will take a majority of the snaps for the first game.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I think it will be 'Austen is the starter, but someone has to start. Phillip has done great in practice, and it was a really hard decision. What matters most is who plays, and both of them are going to see a similar number of reps in the first half. We will have it scripted out, then we will make some decisions at halftime with regards to playing time for the second half."

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Potential GC quips:

Phillip Austad will be the starter.

Austin always was one of my favorite hangouts.

I want to put his big guns on the field first.

I plan to make a game time decision.

Bates if by land, Austad if by air.

To encourage more motivation and progress, Josh Tiller trumps the other two.

Last edited:

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I really think Bates might be the better option though. I haven't seen him pass since I wasn't at the spring game, but as a moblie QB, he's so much more explosive and since Chizik has already expressed Speed as the greatest quality about this team, I think Bates just provides that even more. I really hate to say it, but I think when it comes down to our team trying to create plays based of the play style instead of pure talent, to open things up with a spread offense with more option and QB Draws, this would just become a more productive group.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
From what I've heard, Arnaud has been clearly the better player on a consistent basis. Before the past week or so I really thought that Bates was going to emerge as the guy, despite what a lot of fans thought, but from what I've heard as practices have gone on, that might not be the case. Where I had long expected Bates to emerge, I just don't think that he's going to surpass Arnaud, at least based on practices. Of course game-day is where it counts and that will be the true test of who evolves when and where it matters.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I think Bates might be the starter, last year he put ARob in the starting backfield as a shocker to most. I hope both play, because they both seem to deserve it and they will put more pressure on the opponents for preperation.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Bates by land and Arnaud by air. Hope we don't telegraph that over to the other team too much. I think Bates came in 5 times last year to run it for -29 yards. Just guessing there. They pretty much sniffed that play out fast.

Kind of like the DMAC 3rd and 14 QB Draw play.

Reactions: Gordyo5

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Potential GC quips:

Phillip Austad will be the starter.

Austin always was one of my favorite hangouts.

I want to put his big guns on the field first.

I plan to make a game time decision.

Bates if by land, Austad if by air.

To encourage more motivation and progress, Josh Tiller trumps the other two.

Ok the starter is....heads it's Austen, tails its Phillip

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I guess a good question to ask is, as fans, where do you see the offense heading. Arnuad can move quicker than I imagined, but not as fast as some. His style fits more of the offenese to allow him to be the pocket passer and air it out more and spread the field with different looks concerning formations.

Now Bates has that mobility, and strength all of a sudden. He can move and really bring in a option dynamic that we tried with Meyer and Hicks but failed. As a fan, this would be exciting to watch, but what would be the most consistent, productive, and reliable for the team.

I'm not saying change the offense, but what I'm asking is based on your observations who fits that role the best. To me it Bates only because they've expressed their ambitions and excitement for the speed on the team. That doesn't mean you can't use Arnuad, but it would really prove effective if using Bates.

On a side note, I won't be disappointed with whoever it is. I feel proud as a fan to be able to say that.

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
Bates' playmaking ability is in intangible that is unmatched by Arnaud. He's the one we need to see in a game situation. I see him starting.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If they're so even, I really hope Austin is the starter and they keep Bates in at a flanker or something.

I know that goes against traditional FB logic in that you can't have your #2 play for fear of injury. But I have to think the odds of both going down are pretty long and if our frosh has been as impressive as we've heard, then perhaps the reward outweighs the risk (????).

Bates just seems like too much talent to keep off the field as a backup, and if they're dead even, why not keep both on the field. And I really like the idea of a Randel 'El or Hines Ward with Pittsburg. Even a Seneca at Seattle - a QB type playing receiver. Adds alot of possibilites on the offense.

JMO.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Bates by land and Arnaud by air. Hope we don't telegraph that over to the other team too much. I think Bates came in 5 times last year to run it for -29 yards. Just guessing there. They pretty much sniffed that play out fast.

Kind of like the DMAC 3rd and 14 QB Draw play.

You deserve negative rep for mentioning that play.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I think it will be 'Austen is the starter, but someone has to start. Phillip has done great in practice, and it was a really hard decision. What matters most is who plays, and both of them are going to see a similar number of reps in the first half. We will have it scripted out, then we will make some decisions at halftime with regards to playing time for the second half."

Holy Smokes JM..... With all those we's in the last sentence, could it be you have matured and been miraculously healed of the bird flu and come to the good side. I always thought you had it in ya.....:biggrin:

Help Support Us

Become a patron