Plans for the solar eclipse

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm curious what people's plans are for the solar eclipse. I'm not one who gets really worked up about the different phases of the moon and all the different solar/lunar events that seem to happen every month or so. But I learned of this a couple of years ago and marked it on the calendar thinking it would be something cool for the kids since it's so rare.

But now I'm reading that hotels are tripling their prices and officials are worried about major traffic jams. I didn't realize this would be *that* big of a deal We have a school event that evening and can't afford to be stuck in traffic for hours getting home.

We're tentatively planning to drive to Nebraska or KC if the weather cooperates but I'm not sure how to strategize this. Just look for a big box store parking lot near the interstate, then jump in the car the second it's over?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have been debating taking the day off and flying down closer to it but I have heard of a few airports near the line of totality that are either taking reservations or are full. I think I heard that we will have around 90% of it blocked here so that will probably be good enough. I don't forsee many people working around the peak time.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
One of my kids has a campsite near Grand Teton. He and his friends have been planning for a couple of years.

We're in southern Iowa, so husband wants to sort of wing it until we know the weather better. Planning on one of the little towns in Missouri on the path that will hopefully have less people. The somewhat larger ones seem like they are already sort of packed. He doesn't want to plan somewhere and go and not see anything due to weather.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The wife and I have the day off. We didn't take it off for the eclipse, just because it fit our schedules. However, the more I hear about it, we'll probably try to find some out of the way place a little north of KC and take it in. Apparently St Joseph, MO has been marketing this for a loooong time and is gonna be overflowing with people so I'm gonna stay the hell outta that city.

I'm debating whether or not we pull our daughter out of school for it. I'm not big into pulling kids out of school unless it's for an appt or an emergency, but I may bend my rule a bit.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Flying to Nashville. Renting a car. Driving to Kentucky to see it from its peak. :)

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO