Plans for the solar eclipse

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I have known about this for a long time and don't want to miss it. I am not going to lock in a location until the weather is certain.

I'm hearing about the anticipated crowds at all these off the grid towns - - I just want to experience the eclipse in relative peace and quiet. With beer in hand.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have known about this for a long time and don't want to miss it. I am not going to lock in a location until the weather is certain.

I'm hearing about the anticipated crowds at all these off the grid towns - - I just want to experience the eclipse in relative peace and quiet. With beer in hand.

With you on the avoiding crowds. Going to head south part of the way. Grill a couple steaks, drink a couple beers and head back without dealing with people. I see @coolerifyoudid and @carvers4math will be finding better locations so I figure their houses are better positioned than mine and they will be gone. Win/win.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Anyone know of any reputable retailers with eclipse glasses in stock? Many places are sold out or only selling 50-100+. (Like Amazon). I'm looking to buy 3-5 or so.

I read it'll be a 90% eclipse for Iowa. I'd like to know is it "good enough" to experience the eclipse.

The difference between being in the 100% (totality) path versus anything else is literally night and day from what I've heard. If you are in the path of totality, when the sun is fully covered you will be able to look at it with your naked eye and see all sorts of cool things like the sun's corona. It will literally turn the sky into night and you'll see stars, a marked drop in temperature, birds and animals will become still/quiet, etc. Best of luck to anyone hoping to see the real deal. If anyone has the opportunity to get into the path of totality, I would highly recommend it. I wish I could.

If anyone is hoping to drive south from Iowa to see it, I would try to stay off of the main highways (interstate), where traffic will likely be nuts. I told my parents that they should just drive on gravel/back roads down into Missouri until they find a nice spot on a hill out in the country. No way I'd want to experience this around huge crowds of people in a town/city.

I wish I could take vacation for this event but it's just not going to happen for me this year to travel from Texas. Luckily, there will be one in my backyard in 2024. With my luck, there will be a huge storm system rolling through and the sky will be socked with clouds...

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Man, I think some of you guys are either crazy or you have too much time on your hands. I'll probably step outside and look up if I remember.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I work in the total eclipse area in Independence MO. We're having a party at work.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My plan is to drive straight down highway 75 from Omaha about 1 hour and just pull off onto a gravel road. It all depends what the weather forecast is for the day. Might have to drive a couple of hours to Grand Island or somewhere depending on the forecast.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron