Fighting Camera Tickets?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Should the OP have realized that it would not be the best decision to pass in a zone regulated by speed cameras? Yes. But christ its a mistake.
Unfortunately people pay for their mistakes and in this case it is a $75 slap on the wrist. It's his choice to pay the ticket but whether you or the OP like it or not, he got caught and got a ticket. Nobody to blame but himself.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The fact that they shouldn't be legal.

Lets say, for argument sake, that you were going 70 in a 55.

Example A: you were caught by a patrol car and they gave you a ticket

Example B: you were caught by a camera and they gave you a ticket.

Regardless of your opinions on the speed cameras - there REALLY isn't a big difference between the two. In both cases you were speeding, you were caught and you were given a ticket.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
See there is a big difference between being legitimately caught speeding and the speed cameras. I don't know if there are multiple in that stretch or what not but the one in Cedar Rapids is especially bad as the DOT has told them to move it.
I don't see the difference, if anything I'd be more upset getting caught by a cop sitting on the side of the road nailing people, at least the speed cameras are in the same place every time.

• Agree
Reactions: ECIRT.KCAJ

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

Regardless of your opinions on the speed cameras - there REALLY isn't a big difference between the two. In both cases you were speeding, you were caught and you were given a ticket.

You mean other than example B forces you to waive the right to face your accuser in court should you choose to do so.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think you should get these guys on the case...

maxresdefault.jpg

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

1. It's a violation of the spirit of the relationship between citizens and government. If law enforcement was able to enforce every transgression against their regulations in this way, the average citizen would be in jail.

2. These have created a dual system where the same violation is treated differently. Why? Because they have to. If it was a criminal violation to be caught with a speed camera, it violates the 6th Amendment's right to face your accuser.

3. There are many reasons that a person may speed. At times, it is actually safer to increase your speed to allow for other traffic to merge, or to avoid an accident. A camera cannot capture the context of this.

4. Speed cameras are for revenue generation, not safety.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

One is a legal punishment. The camera is not. It is that simple.
I don't see the difference, if anything I'd be more upset getting caught by a cop sitting on the side of the road nailing people, at least the speed cameras are in the same place every time.

I look at it as they caught me. They were better than me. Sure some cops do it in ways I think are not really ok, but it is much better than the camera who can't even make a decision on circumstances

This is from someone who isn't dumb enough to get caught by a camera, and has never even been pulled over.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You mean other than example B forces you to waive the right to face your accuser in court should you choose to do so.

It does not (at least in CR). You can view the video in person at the CR police dept and you can appeal it in two ways - either to a specific appeal board, or by transferring it to a municipal infraction and taking it in front of a judge.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If I'm caught on camera vandalizing something does the charge get dropped since I can't face my accuser?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
$100 for running a red light in the town I live in. You got caught, just live up to it and pay the fine.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
1. It's a violation of the spirit of the relationship between citizens and government. If law enforcement was able to enforce every transgression against their regulations in this way, the average citizen would be in jail.

But with a 12mph buffer, it is reasonable, consistent application to everyone. It seem much more fair than just picking and choosing who the rules apply to - which can lead to favoritism and bias.

2. These have created a dual system where the same violation is treated differently. Why? Because they have to. If it was a criminal violation to be caught with a speed camera, it violates the 6th Amendment's right to face your accuser.

As I stated up thread, you can face your "accuser" (the CR police department) either in an administrative hearing or in front of a judge. it is true that these are a civil fine against the owner of the vehicle, rather than a criminal fine - but they are no different than a parking ticket. I've never heard of a parking ticket violating your 6th Amendment right - just because you weren't there when the ticket was issued.

3. There are many reasons that a person may speed. At times, it is actually safer to increase your speed to allow for other traffic to merge, or to avoid an accident. A camera cannot capture the context of this.

But a police officer sitting stationary in a vehicle watching 4-lanes of traffic can? ********.

4. Speed cameras are for revenue generation, not safety.

That's your opinion - it's not backed up by facts. It's also an accusation of motive not backed up by any direct knowledge - basically it's letting your political beliefs demean local law enforcement. Facts show that the cameras have made the intersections and that stretch of I-380 safer.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Factually incorrect. You have no right to face your accuser in a civil proceeding. Speed camera tickets are not criminal, they are civil.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron