REPORT: Campbell bringing OC, O-Line coaches with him to ISU

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
What single comparison are you drawing from Chizik to Campbell?

Chizik had a pact with his buddies that whoever became a coach first would hire all the rest of them. It was a train wreck, because they were great buddies, not so great as a coaching staff.

I'm guessing Keep had fears that this was the same thing at first, but then took a deep breath and realized that even if they are buddies, at least it appears that they have been successful together at Toledo.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Lots of derp on the first couple pages. Will keep reading though to see if it gets better.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
First of all The Big XII is big boy football. Recruiting in the MAC doesn't necessarily translate to successful P5 recruiting. And one of those top recruits you mention had I believe only MAC school offers.

Ohio isn't going to become fertile recruiting ground for ISU or any other Big XII school. If you actually believe that it will, you're delusional. Ohio's Big Ten country; and always will be.

Our recruiting needs to be Texas-centric obviously. I would've liked for our OC to be a Texas guy with recruiting experience in the state. If that makes me an idiot, then whatever...

Nope, I was wrong. The derp continues...

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What single comparison are you drawing from Chizik to Campbell?

Chizik had a pact with his buddies that whoever became a coach first would hire all the rest of them. It was a train wreck, because they were great buddies, not so great as a coaching staff.

I'm guessing Keep had fears that this was the same thing at first, but then took a deep breath and realized that even if they are buddies, at least it appears that they have been successful together at Toledo.

Yep.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I was wanting Navy's coach to do something entirely different than the rest of the league. I'm on board with the Campbell hire now. Part of me wonders if recruiting Ohio and Pennsylvania might be enough of a difference to make a difference. Yes, we will still want to get into Texas but being able to find guys that Ohio State and Michigan passed over and no one else in the Big 12 may be on to might lead to an increase in talent.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
How about can these guys recruit Big12 talent? Who gives a **** where they are from.

A recruiter is a recruiter. Its the coaching part that comes into play here. The ability to recognize what you need for a player to succeed.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
25 spots higher isn't much? It was to a MAC school dang man what do you want? Do you need Knute Rockne to be reborn and hired at ISU to be able to see that we could, just possibly, be ok with this hire?

He would still question whether this Rockne guy could recruit.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
First of all The Big XII is big boy football. Recruiting in the MAC doesn't necessarily translate to successful P5 recruiting. And one of those top recruits you mention had I believe only MAC school offers.

Ohio isn't going to become fertile recruiting ground for ISU or any other Big XII school. If you actually believe that it will, you're delusional. Ohio's Big Ten country; and always will be.

Our recruiting needs to be Texas-centric obviously. I would've liked for our OC to be a Texas guy with recruiting experience in the state. If that makes me an idiot, then whatever...

Matt Campbell has been part of the Toledo program since 2009. They have 11 players in the NFL (and that doesn't count the 2-3 guys they might have this year). Iowa State has 8. I think he understands talent and recruiting just fine.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
So is the OC giving up a chance to be a head coach to be the OC at ISU? That would be pretty strange.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I was wanting Navy's coach to do something entirely different than the rest of the league. I'm on board with the Campbell hire now. Part of me wonders if recruiting Ohio and Pennsylvania might be enough of a difference to make a difference. Yes, we will still want to get into Texas but being able to find guys that Ohio State and Michigan passed over and no one else in the Big 12 may be on to might lead to an increase in talent.

No doubt and those areas are extremely talent rich - especially on the defensive side of the ball. Biggest problem will be telling them they won't be playing in the big 10....

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So is the OC giving up a chance to be a head coach to be the OC at ISU? That would be pretty strange.

It sounds like Toledo will go outside the program for their next HC. I wonder if Candle has been told that already and that's why he is coming to Ames.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
No doubt and those areas are extremely talent rich - especially on the defensive side of the ball. Biggest problem will be telling them they won't be playing in the big 10....

Do you think maybe that Ohio or Pennsylvania kids that grow up as OSU and PSU fans and don't get offers from their favorite schools might like the thought of not playing against their favorite school and would welcome playing in another P5 conference?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Recruiting is about the ability to establish and develop relationships with young men, their families, and the high school coaches. First you have to have the ability to do it well, which is sounds like we are getting with MC and the staff CW mentions.

In my opinion, the ability to recruit is not geographically dependent. If MC is a good recruiter in Ohio, he will be a good recruiter in Texas. The staff at Iowa State will be able to get in to meet with pretty much any high school coach in Texas because we are in the Big 12, and they like to see their kids play in the Big 12.

Treat your current players well, earn their respect, and they will tell their high school coaches about you and the word will spread fast in Texas and Florida. I think most high school coaches already know who Matt Campbell is and that he is moving to the Big 12.

I think a young staff with a mission to prove their chops in the Big Leagues can be a pretty effective sales force!

I like the hire!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Hey, if we can pull away an impact player here and there from Ohio, I'm all for it. I just feel people on here thinking Ohio can now be a recruiting focus are kidding themselves.

Look up and down the Big XII rosters..not a lot of impact players from Ohio to be found...

I don't know about Ohio being a recruiting focus, but just because it is Big 10 territory doesn't mean ISU can't recruit there. Just look at the best players going to MAC schools and sign them up. Maybe beat a Purdue or Indiana for a kid you have a really good relationship with. If you are a good judge of talent, then skim the kids with only MAC offers and that will be good enough to win bowl games at ISU.

As far as no one else in our conference having Ohio players, no one else needs to. They recruit TX because they are in and around TX. ISU can't recruit TX as effectively, so getting some players from Ohio would be helpful.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Do you think maybe that Ohio or Pennsylvania kids that grow up as OSU and PSU fans and don't get offers from their favorite schools might like the thought of not playing against their favorite school and would welcome playing in another P5 conference?

you mean like how texas kids who grew up cheering for Texas leave the state to play in the Big 10? Wait, that doesn't happen...