REPORT: Campbell bringing OC, O-Line coaches with him to ISU

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Ohio isn't going to become fertile recruiting ground for ISU or any other Big XII school. If you actually believe that it will, you're delusional. Ohio's Big Ten country; and always will be.

Our recruiting needs to be Texas-centric obviously. I would've liked for our OC to be a Texas guy with recruiting experience in the state. If that makes me an idiot, then whatever...

You may want to check the recruits out of Ohio out before you throw that comment around, theres a reason theres a top 70 in Ohio - talent rich.... West Virgina has actually shifted some of their recruiting efforts from Florida to Ohio.
In 2014 they had 5 Florida, 1 Ohio.
In 2015, they had 6 from Florida and 4 from Ohio.
In 2016 they have 1 out of florida and 7 out of Ohio.
Also in that timeframe, they recruited exactly (0) recruits from Texas.
In 2015 they had more 4* recruits then 2* recruits - thats good quality players.
OBTW - they just owned us a couple of days ago without 1 texas kid playing major minutes!

I like Campbell's recruiting philosophy and quite frankly - could care less if it says Ohio, Texas, Florida or Cuba.... If the kid can be developed into a top tier player, i will take him.....Dont want to ignore Talent Rich Texas, but there's a lot of other kids out there to simply focus on Texas as the answer. We need impact players at each level. Until Rhoads went Juco Routes, he wasn't establishing enough impact players. Thats a result of either evaluating the talent incorrectly or developing it incorrectly. I will be interested to see how Tribune and Moya play under this new direction. If we can get more out of them then what Rhoads did, then we've made the right decision. Time will tell.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Anyone remember if Toledo's play calling was any good when we played them?

We were beat with what everyone says is crappy MAC talent so it's coaching that won the day? Or Toledo had superior talent and won out despite bad coaching? OR - not nearly enough 8th and 9th deep Texas talent on our side.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yet Toledo has been really, really good with Ohio players.

You'd much rather be a crappy school with the traditional Texas and Florida recruits, wouldn't you? Fits your tiny box much better.

Klubber's got a tiny box?

th

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You may want to check the recruits out of Ohio out before you throw that comment around, theres a reason theres a top 70 in Ohio - talent rich.... West Virgina has actually shifted some of their recruiting efforts from Florida to Ohio.
In 2015 they had more 4* recruits then 2* recruits - thats good quality players.
OBTW - they just owned us a couple of days ago without 1 texas kid playing major minutes!

I like Campbell's recruiting philosophy and quite frankly - could care less if it says Ohio, Texas, Florida or Cuba.... If the kid can be developed into a top tier player, i will take him.....Dont want to ignore Talent Rich Texas, but there's a lot of other kids out there to simply focus on Texas as the answer. We need impact players at each level. Until Rhoads went Juco Routes, he wasn't establishing enough impact players. Thats a result of either evaluating the talent incorrectly or developing it incorrectly. I will be interested to see how Tribune and Moya play under this new direction. If we can get more out of them then what Rhoads did, then we've made the right decision. Time will tell.

That is an untapped resource much like Guatamala, we need assisstants with connections to those two places.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We aren't going to stop recruiting Texas no matter who we hire. That's just dumb to think. It's even more dumb to think our coach should pass on good coaches because he's worked with them before. Literally every good coach ever brings good coaches he's worked with before.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Tired of the random Sturdy comments. Dude was trash.

To average 2.8 points a quarter in the second half, and 1.75 points a quarter in the second half of every loss, just screams find a new job.

I am also very happy with a fresh start on offense.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We aren't going to stop recruiting Texas no matter who we hire. That's just dumb to think. It's even more dumb to think our coach should pass on good coaches because he's worked with them before. Literally every good coach ever brings good coaches he's worked with before.

Exactly. CMC Coaching Factory will continue established relationships with Texas coaches and likely build new ones.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Tired of the random Sturdy comments. Dude was trash.

To average 2.8 points a quarter in the second half, and 1.75 points a quarter in the second half of every loss, just screams find a new job.

Hey, if the next guy ends up taking the HC job at UT and we go looking, I see the Dolphins just fired their OC! :jimlad:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Looks like both of them are, like Campbell, Ohio guys who went to mount union and coached there and toledo.

From Rivals, looks like Candle did some recruiting in FL and PA, most of Manning's recruit targets were OH kids.

Hiring someone with Texas ties seems to be the next logical step, and perhaps someone with CA ties as well.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
It does. CMC needs to bring in the OC he wants. Only an idiot would want to dictate who the new coach hires.

I think it's fantastic that he's bringing in an established OC, not hiring his fishing buddies or promoting someone with no OC experience, like some of our previous coaches.

Only a idiot would infer my post to mean I want to dictate who MC hires as OC. I would've liked for him to have been a Texas guy..didn't happen obviously.

I love how anyone with a contrarian opinion is automatically attacked in this thread. One thing's for sure: The Pollard propaganda machine's in full throttle mode, baby!

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Only a idiot would infer my post to mean I want to dictate who MC hires as OC. I would've liked for him to have been a Texas guy..didn't happen obviously.

I love how anyone with a contrarian opinion is automatically attacked in this thread. One thing's for sure: The Pollard propaganda machine's in full throttle mode, baby!

This is one of my favorite things to point out.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Is the staff fully filled?

Makes sense that these early hires are people who Matt Campbell has worked with and knows well. Campbell may be interested in adding a coach with the ties you are suggesting. But those would likely take some time to fill and would probably include an interview process and several candidates.

IMO, it would be more prudent to actually wait and see who is on the entire staff before making these contrarian opinions. Contrarian opinions are premature at this point. Why be negative at this early juncture?

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

That's not really an indicator of Ohio kids flocking to Big XII schools. WV has always recruited Ohio since before they joined the conference. Also, last I checked, WV fans haven't been at all happy with their team under Holgerson. A lot of them want him fired.

WV's not a really good example for your argument. They've not been much better than ISU since joining the league. If anything their lack of Texas kids shows the difficulty of breaking in to new recruiting territory.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

The thing is, when every contrarian opinion seems to revolve around contempt for JP, you are sort of showing all your cards.

The guy hasn't even been in Ames a full day yet. Let people be happy.