Release: SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR SOUTH END ZONE PROJECT RELEASED

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
A little sensitive, are we? What a drama queen.

We can criticize our own, compliment another and still be ISU fans. We're all appreciative of how far the department has come and how bright the future looks. That doesn't mean we have to spew positivity 24 hrs a day. Otherwise, what would we discuss?

Chill out. We're not all "trolls" (the meaning of that word has been lost completely in the past couple years). Most people on this site love Iowa State, even if they think Kinnick provides a better atmosphere than JTS for a college football game. Pollard and Co. are working on that.

NO. Tailgating at Kinnick completely sucks. And you can not get a better atmosphere than what I experienced at Jack Trice Stadium than when we defeated Oklahoma State. So I really do not know how you can say that Kinnick is better. And with our SEZ expansion it is only going to get more awewome.

Disagree with me if you want. But don't lecture me about ISU facilities unless you actually went to games in Clyde Williams Field and the Old Armory. Because you really do not have a clue if you didn't.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
NO. Tailgating at Kinnick completely sucks. And you can not get a better atmosphere than what I experienced at Jack Trice Stadium than when we defeated Oklahoma State. So I really do not know how you can say that Kinnick is better. And with our SEZ expansion it is only going to get more awewome.

Disagree with me if you want. But don't lecture me about ISU facilities unless you actually went to games in Clyde Williams Field and the Old Armory. Because you really do not have a clue if you didn't.
So now we're talking about tailgating? What? I have been talking about the physical structures of the stadium. Stop being such a defensive homer and open your eyes.

I flew back from Chicago to go to that Oklahoma State game, it was awesome, but again that has very little to do with the physical structure of the stadium. Not sure how you don't get that.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So now we're talking about tailgating? What? I have been talking about the physical structures of the stadium. Stop being such a defensive homer and open your eyes.

I flew back from Chicago to go to that Oklahoma State game, it was awesome, but again that has very little to do with the physical structure of the stadium. Not sure how you don't get that.

The physical structure of Jack Trice is just fine and it was built with the idea of expanding and continually making it better.

Your house sucks. Why didn't you make it a mansion from the start?

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
Results are in for the current SEZ bid packages. Looks like a couple of things came in well above the engineer's estimate. I did a quick tabulation of the project from bid packages 2.1 to 3.9 and came up with total bids of $34,051,654 versus the estimate of $33,789,133. My guess is ISU will accept all of the bids since there is such a tight construction window.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
Results are in for the current SEZ bid packages. Looks like a couple of things came in well above the engineer's estimate. I did a quick tabulation of the project from bid packages 2.1 to 3.9 and came up with total bids of $34,051,654 versus the estimate of $33,789,133. My guess is ISU will accept all of the bids since there is such a tight construction window.
Yeah that is less than 1% off, that is not a big deal at all. Now if it was 15% over, that would be different.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
ISU rejected at least one of the submitted bids. The bid was appears to have been for the glass and metal walls. The engineer's estimate was $1.72 M and only one bid was submitted for $2.58 M. The other bid packages opened on Tuesday have not yet been accepted or rejected.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Jack Trice is disgusting, its just raw exposed concrete and steel. Recent window dressings have helped a little but its still not a good looking facility. But Hilton looks great from a design standpoint. But its sorely in need of an interior renovation. Remember when they were going to expand it and add suites in the early 2000's in conjunction with the city of Ames and raise the money via increase in hotel taxes? Too bad that got shot down.

IMO Hilton will be the next major project the the athletic department undertakes. I would think you could add some suites in the concourse level that would quickly be sold and pay for other amenities/refurbs.

This post is complete bull.. my goodness if trice is disgusting carver hawkeye is the dump of all dumps.. and the interior of kinnick is a joke... sure brick on the outside like so many other stadiums...nothing special about it..thats for sure.

Trice definitely needed the endzone done...that i will agree with. The rest is pure nonsense. Cant see anything going the other way at kinnick due to straight sidelines and the gaps between stands looks terrible.

If Isu ever fixes the roof on the jacobsen building it will be complete... glass, lighting, video boards, ribbon, unique and modern stadium...

I am always amazed at the people that think brick means better. Not from what i have seen. It often just means just like everyone else.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This post is complete bull.. my goodness if trice is disgusting carver hawkeye is the dump of all dumps.. and the interior of kinnick is a joke... sure brick on the outside like so many other stadiums...nothing special about it..thats for sure.

Trice definitely needed the endzone done...that i will agree with. The rest is pure nonsense. Cant see anything going the other way at kinnick due to straight sidelines and the gaps between stands looks terrible.

If Isu ever fixes the roof on the jacobsen building it will be complete... glass, lighting, video boards, ribbon, unique and modern stadium...
Agree - Kinnick is a dump - and this coming from someone who thinks the renovation of Carver-Hawkeye was done right. The only thing good about Kinnick is how close the fans are. The rest is garbage. Minnesota's stadium, on the other hand, is just tremendous.
The people ripping on Jack Trice need to tour other stadiums more, just to see how cramped they are and how good our sightlines are. And yes, getting a new roof on the Jake plus making it wider, to span the width of the field, would complete things.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
As an civil engineer myself, I'd be thrilled if my estimates came that close to the bid on a $34M job.
And this with the addtional "instant winter weather" costs. The video says they are on schedule, too. I hope we go without and big rain events during the project. In the video they show two workers carrying an I-beam - the way they hefted the thing it looked made of aluminum alloy.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The people ripping on Jack Trice need to tour other stadiums more, just to see how cramped they are and how good our sightlines are. And yes, getting a new roof on the Jake plus making it wider, to span the width of the field, would complete things.

I can see room for improvement but we have it very good in Ames. What I love is getting up in a plane and seeing J. Trice and at night. I had some great images from in fall late in the day and at night.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And this with the addtional "instant winter weather" costs. The video says they are on schedule, too. I hope we go without and big rain events during the project. In the video they show two workers carrying an I-beam - the way they hefted the thing it looked made of aluminum alloy.

Yeah, i hope this insanely early cold isnt going to put any delays on construction. Im no expert in construction but i know that there are projects around here (like the Alice's Road\Grand Prairie Parkway extension) that have been put on hold until spring due to the early arrival of winter.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Yeah, i hope this insanely early cold isnt going to put any delays on construction. Im no expert in construction but i know that there are projects around here (like the Alice's Road\Grand Prairie Parkway extension) that have been put on hold until spring due to the early arrival of winter.

I honestly don't think they can afford any delays of any kind. Isn't it like supposed to be finished two weeks before the first game? They are cutting it hella close already...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Yea hopefully they can scrape together some more funds for the greenspace/parking/traffic phase so it gets done right.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
$14 million for green space and parking always seemed like a lot of money unless its being paved with platinum or something.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
$14 million for green space and parking always seemed like a lot of money unless its being paved with platinum or something.

Well that probably also included things like bridges\tunnels that arent cheap.