Release: SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR SOUTH END ZONE PROJECT RELEASED

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I agree with you. People are getting upset over nothing. If anything Jacobson looks much nicer than our actual stadium. I love JTS but concrete pillars scream 1970s to me. Very few things from that era don't look completely dated.

You mean to tell me that something built in the 70's looks like something from the 70's? I'm shocked.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
350x200_12.jpg

Anyone says a bad word about Hilton.......

BEatdown.gif

with Nebraska now beating Iowa for recruits and their fans now like basketball for the first time ever because people in Nebraska like new buildings more than basketball...lots of talk on the Iowa boards blaming problems on recently renovated Carver.

Ive studied architectural design a bit and Hilton looks more timeless than the Jacobsen building to me. Meaning it's more obviously early 90s than Hilton is 70s. Just be glad Jacobsen wasn't built early 80s or we'd likely have a post modern eyesore.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Correct - both those buildings are ugly. We don't need to get into a history of architectural debate here but let's not pretend they are beautiful buildings.

Eh - I agree with HFCS. I think Hilton, and to a lesser extent JTS, are somewhat timeless. Very utilitarian, but I don't cringe when I see it.

I will say, if it's a choice between the look of Hilton, Wells Fargo in DSM, CenturyLink in Omaha... I'll take Hilton any day.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
Jack Trice is disgusting, its just raw exposed concrete and steel. Recent window dressings have helped a little but its still not a good looking facility. But Hilton looks great from a design standpoint. But its sorely in need of an interior renovation. Remember when they were going to expand it and add suites in the early 2000's in conjunction with the city of Ames and raise the money via increase in hotel taxes? Too bad that got shot down.

IMO Hilton will be the next major project the the athletic department undertakes. I would think you could add some suites in the concourse level that would quickly be sold and pay for other amenities/refurbs.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Jack Trice is disgusting, its just raw exposed concrete and steel. Recent window dressings have helped a little but its still not a good looking facility. But Hilton looks great from a design standpoint. But its sorely in need of an interior renovation. Remember when they were going to expand it and add suites in the early 2000's in conjunction with the city of Ames and raise the money via increase in hotel taxes? Too bad that got shot down.

IMO Hilton will be the next major project the the athletic department undertakes. I would think you could add some suites in the concourse level that would quickly be sold and pay for other amenities/refurbs.

At some point ISU needs to realize not everyone coming to basketball games is a student or high-dollar donor. There is demand so they need to capitalize on that but right now it seems like they are catering only to corporate donors.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
At some point ISU needs to realize not everyone coming to basketball games is a student or high-dollar donor. There is demand so they need to capitalize on that but right now it seems like they are catering only to corporate donors.

This. Particularly in terms of Hilton.

I agree that it needs some serious work outside on the stairs and bridges - at least it did last time I made it up there. And perhaps the outer concourse could use some refreshing and expansion if possible. But when it comes to inside the arena itself - I've said it before and will continue to say it - you don't mess with perfection.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Disgusting? Ok...I suppose you think kinnik is beautiful too.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
This. Particularly in terms of Hilton.

I agree that it needs some serious work outside on the stairs and bridges - at least it did last time I made it up there. And perhaps the outer concourse could use some refreshing and expansion if possible. But when it comes to inside the arena itself - I've said it before and will continue to say it - you don't mess with perfection.
Even the nasty boards on the ceiling that have look warped, rotted and discolored since I was a student in '98? If they could take the concourse area and add suites on the sides, and additional seating along the baselines, it would increase capacity and possibly allow them to pay for other needed upgrades(WiFi, upgraded concessions, restrooms, replacing aforementioned boards above, refurbishing fixtures, etc)

All this would do is increase capacity, increase the decibel level(more people and sound would reverberate more) and generate more revenue for the athletic department. That's a win all the way around. It could potentially also allow Hilton to take back some concerts/events from Wells Fargo arena(a terrible facility IMO).

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
Not really, but it does have some character I suppose. Jack Trice is just concrete and steel beams with not even a feint towards being anything more than a structure that holds fans--unlike Hilton. I'm sure the south end zone project will help a lot towards rectifying that.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Not really, but it does have some character I suppose. Jack Trice is just concrete and steel beams with not even a feint towards being anything more than a structure that holds fans--unlike Hilton. I'm sure the south end zone project will help a lot towards rectifying that.

Character? LOL. Kinnick is a piece of crap with rotten facilities for fans. And HOW would you improve that pitiful situation. The SEZ expansion is going to greatly enhance the stadium. Next will be the expanded Press Box and Suites area. Long term Jack Trice is only going to get better. Meanwhile Kinnick is going to only get worse and worse. I suppose you long for ISU to still be in Clyde Williams since in your words, it had "character".

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
with Nebraska now beating Iowa for recruits and their fans now like basketball for the first time ever because people in Nebraska like new buildings more than basketball...lots of talk on the Iowa boards blaming problems on recently renovated Carver.

Ive studied architectural design a bit and Hilton looks more timeless than the Jacobsen building to me. Meaning it's more obviously early 90s than Hilton is 70s. Just be glad Jacobsen wasn't built early 80s or we'd likely have a post modern eyesore.

Hilton has aged very well.

Carver aesthetically on the outside is the worst around. Before the renovation and add-ons a couple years ago, the rear exposed to Riverside dr (where they unload the trucks; team bus, etc) had the metal framing creating rust stains running down the back wall. It was hideous, for years

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
Character? LOL. Kinnick is a piece of crap with rotten facilities for fans. And HOW would you improve that pitiful situation. The SEZ expansion is going to greatly enhance the stadium. Next will be the expanded Press Box and Suites area. Long term Jack Trice is only going to get better. Meanwhile Kinnick is going to only get worse and worse. I suppose you long for ISU to still be in Clyde Williams since in your words, it had "character".
Are you like 22 years old? That's why this board sucks, you can never have an adult conversation. I mention Kinnick and you flip out like a total geek.

By that same argument, Cameron Indoor Arena sucks, Wrigley sucks, etc, etc.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Even the nasty boards on the ceiling that have look warped, rotted and discolored since I was a student in '98? If they could take the concourse area and add suites on the sides, and additional seating along the baselines, it would increase capacity and possibly allow them to pay for other needed upgrades(WiFi, upgraded concessions, restrooms, replacing aforementioned boards above, refurbishing fixtures, etc)

All this would do is increase capacity, increase the decibel level(more people and sound would reverberate more) and generate more revenue for the athletic department. That's a win all the way around. It could potentially also allow Hilton to take back some concerts/events from Wells Fargo arena(a terrible facility IMO).

I suppose I watch the action on the boards on the floor. Don't really care about the ceiling boards - but have noticed them and have no idea what you're talking about in regards to them. As for additional seating - I would agree that any additional seating isn't a bad idea, but I'm just dead set against suites on the inner concourse. I have to wonder what the net cost would be for a set of suites as opposed to several hundred or more regular seats requiring the 5K + or whatever it is, donation level.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Kinnick is a nice stadium. I don't know what the problem is with JTS however. Who cares what the outside looks like? Big deal it doesn't have a brick wall around it. In the end - that's the net outward appearance.

It has/will have two kick arse video boards and I'm guessing the new ribbon system will enhance the stats, bios and other game day info much like the ribbon in Hiltondid, a good sound system, overall excellent site lines, excellent flow within the stadium, facilities and concessions are night and day better than the renovation, the absolute best field in the business and tremendous parking and tailgate scene.

Ruby = happy.

Now Carver on the other hand. What a D-U-M-P. And that was the case when I was a hawk fan as a kid.

Arguements can be made about Kinnick v. JTS - each has their own merits. There is ZERO comparison between Hilton and Carver.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kinnick's brick exterior helps a lot IMO, and their press box looks a lot better. I also think their seats seems to be an inch or two less than Jack Trice, so they could be getting in a couple extra thousand people just doing that.
Jack Trice Stadium has never had asthetics, so I'm glad they are doing something about that with the SEZ.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
Latest set of bid packages are available today. Looks like nine separate bids are being sought. Estimated cost of this set is $16.8 M. Bid opening is Oct 14.

Only one item is listed for future bidding for this project. It's titled "JTS TV Power Panel Upgrade". Not sure what this is. I didn't find a cost estimate on this. This bid is due the end of February.

FYI ... Keg room capacity: 148+.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Kinnick's brick exterior helps a lot IMO, and their press box looks a lot better. I also think their seats seems to be an inch or two less than Jack Trice, so they could be getting in a couple extra thousand people just doing that.

"coz, uh, coz... you are all fat over at I S Moo. hu huhuhu"

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Latest set of bid packages are available today. Looks like nine separate bids are being sought. Estimated cost of this set is $16.8 M. Bid opening is Oct 14.

Only one item is listed for future bidding for this project. It's titled "JTS TV Power Panel Upgrade". Not sure what this is. I didn't find a cost estimate on this. This bid is due the end of February.

FYI ... Keg room capacity: 148+.

http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/planning...ary.asp?CP_Number=CP002119&Work_order=WC08639

Help Support Us

Become a patron