Will not get excited till after the first game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If only we had Jake and AJ for 1 more year (last year). The UNI debacle wouldn't have happened, I would assume that they would have closed the holes that David Johnson ran through that night forcing UNI to something else. Obviously the offense sucked but getting down big right away didn't help.

The big thing that needs to happen against NDSU is to get off early, get 3 and outs and move the ball down the field and score in the first half. I don't want to see a dog fight if we can help it. I don't think we blow them out by any means but a 2 td cushion throughout he game would be nice. NDSU won't fold since they have nothing to lose.

I would hope that Iowa State wouldn't need two of it's best LBs in school history in order to beat UNI. But you are correct, it sure would have helped.

I just cannot for the life of me explain that UNI debacle last year. It set this football program back a long ways IMO. It wasn't as if UNI resorted to some fancy trick plays to beat us, they just lined up and physically dominated us and their RB ran for 220 yds and it could have been more if they wanted to.

We had all off season to prepare for that game, and we came out completely unprepared and we also lacked any kind of emotion or energy. Maybe Klenakis did run them into the ground and they had nothing left by the time the season started, I don't know? It was just a lack of preparation all the way around.

If NDSU is able to come out and physically push us around on both sides of the ball like UNI did, then I won't know what in the world to say at that point? Obviously NDSU can beat us, but if they do, it will be more about HOW they beat us IMO than anything else. If we turn the ball over a bunch of times and NDSU has to resort to some lucky trick plays or something to beat us, then I will feel much better than if they come into Ames and push us around like UNI did last year.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I have been a fan since 1971. In more than 40 years of following ISU, I have learned that the first game says a lot for what to expect for the rest of the year. Last year we played UNI, a team that give fewer scholarships and has a very small recruiting budget compared to ours. Facilities also should not compare. We should not lose to UNI. Their leading rusher had something 220 yards and our QB was sacked 6 times. UNI dominated both lines of scrimmage. Their DL dominated our OL and their OL did the same with our DL. After the Iowa game Coach Rhodes said that we did not see Rohach in the Iowa game because he was not ready. If Rohach was not ready for the Iowa game then he was not ready for the UNI game. It appears we had one scholarship QB prepared for the UNI game. If that is true then why did Richardson have 22 rushing attempts (a terrible coaching decision). I know 6 of those were sacks, but why put your QB at risk early in the season against a non league opponent. Richardson hurt his ankle and was not effective the rest of the year. ISU was greatly outcoached by UNI last year. UNI knew how to attack ISU, and ISU was clueless attacking UNI. I have a lot of concerns. The OL could be good this year, but they have had 3 different OL coaches, each with different techniques, in 3 years. Our QB's have primarily had their best games against Kansas and WV. I want to see them play effectively against top talent in the league. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and the front 7 will continue to be undersized and have difficulty stopping teams with power rushing offenses. Since the spring there has been a lot of positive hype and news. I will wait to get excited until after I watch the first game.

Actually, I thought ISU played very well against UNI. Few penalties. Few turnovers. Pretty good offense.

The difference was being 1) ISU forced to attempt FG when close to the goal line 2) an unstoppable UNI running back that got better the closer he got to the goal line.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Actually, I thought ISU played very well against UNI. Few penalties. Few turnovers. Pretty good offense.

The difference was being 1) ISU forced to attempt FG when close to the goal line 2) an unstoppable UNI running back that got better the closer he got to the goal line.

I thought they played a clean game, and that's the alarming thing about. I don't remember them making any killer mistakes or beating themselves - UNI just lined up and kicked their ***. And UNI is a really good program, but that shouldn't happen.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I will not get excited until after the 6th win of the season.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
I have been a fan since 1971. In more than 40 years of following ISU, I have learned that the first game says a lot for what to expect for the rest of the year. Last year we played UNI, a team that give fewer scholarships and has a very small recruiting budget compared to ours. Facilities also should not compare. We should not lose to UNI. Their leading rusher had something 220 yards and our QB was sacked 6 times. UNI dominated both lines of scrimmage. Their DL dominated our OL and their OL did the same with our DL. After the Iowa game Coach Rhodes said that we did not see Rohach in the Iowa game because he was not ready. If Rohach was not ready for the Iowa game then he was not ready for the UNI game. It appears we had one scholarship QB prepared for the UNI game. If that is true then why did Richardson have 22 rushing attempts (a terrible coaching decision). I know 6 of those were sacks, but why put your QB at risk early in the season against a non league opponent. Richardson hurt his ankle and was not effective the rest of the year. ISU was greatly outcoached by UNI last year. UNI knew how to attack ISU, and ISU was clueless attacking UNI. I have a lot of concerns. The OL could be good this year, but they have had 3 different OL coaches, each with different techniques, in 3 years. Our QB's have primarily had their best games against Kansas and WV. I want to see them play effectively against top talent in the league. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and the front 7 will continue to be undersized and have difficulty stopping teams with power rushing offenses. Since the spring there has been a lot of positive hype and news. I will wait to get excited until after I watch the first game.

I think we had the skill players to be decent and I don't think our o-line - individually - are bad players. The offense itself was just a complete mess and o-line looked out of sync. I attribute that to the coaching. As the season progressed our o-line showed improvement but our offense as a whole never really looked to get it going until way late in the season. Will be interesting to see how we come out of the gates this year. I think we have better skill players than last year and some play-makers on offense.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I would hope that Iowa State wouldn't need two of it's best LBs in school history in order to beat UNI. But you are correct, it sure would have helped.

I just cannot for the life of me explain that UNI debacle last year. It set this football program back a long ways IMO. It wasn't as if UNI resorted to some fancy trick plays to beat us, they just lined up and physically dominated us and their RB ran for 220 yds and it could have been more if they wanted to.

We had all off season to prepare for that game, and we came out completely unprepared and we also lacked any kind of emotion or energy. Maybe Klenakis did run them into the ground and they had nothing left by the time the season started, I don't know? It was just a lack of preparation all the way around.

If NDSU is able to come out and physically push us around on both sides of the ball like UNI did, then I won't know what in the world to say at that point? Obviously NDSU can beat us, but if they do, it will be more about HOW they beat us IMO than anything else. If we turn the ball over a bunch of times and NDSU has to resort to some lucky trick plays or something to beat us, then I will feel much better than if they come into Ames and push us around like UNI did last year.

The UNI game was definitely a debacle. The defense played more respectably after they figured out what UNI was doing. Even as awful as that game was, I still thought we had a shot at a reasonable 5 win season just based on the strategy improvements I saw in the game. A bowl game was out of the picture after that first game, which was obvious.

I figured if we came out and chucked the ball around a bit against Iowa, we could take advantage of their porous defensive secondary and maybe put some doubt in their minds about beating us on our home field. As soon as I saw Mess call two straight handoffs going straight into the teeth of Iowa's defense to start the game, I knew that one was over along with the season. It was a truly perplexing way to start that game, it was like he was trying to out-think himself. Ken Miller's rant about this on the Monday after the game was great.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The UNI game was definitely a debacle. The defense played more respectably after they figured out what UNI was doing. Even as awful as that game was, I still thought we had a shot at a reasonable 5 win season just based on the strategy improvements I saw in the game. A bowl game was out of the picture after that first game, which was obvious.

I figured if we came out and chucked the ball around a bit against Iowa, we could take advantage of their porous defensive secondary and maybe put some doubt in their minds about beating us on our home field. As soon as I saw Mess call two straight handoffs going straight into the teeth of Iowa's defense to start the game, I knew that one was over along with the season. It was a truly perplexing way to start that game, it was like he was trying to out-think himself. Ken Miller's rant about this on the Monday after the game was great.

What a mess.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
mcblogerson;41150.... The Big 12 doesn't look all that tough this year outside of OK and Baylor.[/QUOTE said:
Aren't KSU and OSU both in the top 25 pre-season?

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
After reading Trey's evaluations of our QB, RB and receivers on the Scout board, I am having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for this team this season and the 15,16 seasons as well. But, I too bought my first season tickets to ISU football in the 1970's so by now I have learned to dilute the Kool Aid until at least November.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
After reading Trey's evaluations of our QB, RB and receivers on the Scout board, I am having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for this team this season and the 15,16 seasons as well. But, I too bought my first season tickets to ISU football in the 1970's so by now I have learned to dilute the Kool Aid until at least November.

All it took was for me to watch the replay of last years games. That pretty much took the wind out of my sails as far as hoping for great QB play.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
All it took was for me to watch the replay of last years games. That pretty much took the wind out of my sails as far as hoping for great QB play.

It's very difficult to have great QB play without great OL play. Our OL play last season was very poor at times, hence the lack of quality QB play.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
While I tend to agree on the first game prognosis it's not always the case. In 2008 we won the first two games, albeit against terrible teams and we destroyed those teams and ended up having a terrible season. The 2011-12 season we beat UNI by 1pt on a prayer yet we still made a bowl game that year.

Will the ndsu game be an accurate judge of how our season will go? It's hard to tell as although ndsu is #1 ranked pre season they also lost a ton of starters. Honestly I'm glad we are playing ndsu rather than UNI again. It would not surprise me one bit if UNI shocked Iowa game 1.

Last year Mess thought we could just run that stupid zone read play all game and just man handle UNI and on defense we clearly were unprepared. Not t mention all the injuries etc..

I'm just hoping for a healthy fall camp that's it. If we can stay healthy I think we will be better than many think. It has already been said by numerous players that this team is a complete 360 in morale than last year and that alone can make a big difference.
I think you mean 180. Otherwise that isn't a good sign.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I could not agree more.

This first game will say a lot about this year's team. Last year I was told to relax after the UNI debacle, but it in fact did accurately predict the rest of our season.

To be fair, though, you lose your **** the moment the team first goes three and out in a game. You're the definition of overreacting during games. So, you do need to relax more in general when it comes to ISU athletics.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

The 2015 season should be very good IMO. We will return a wealth of talent and experience.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The team unity and attitude is the best it's been in years. The coaches are listening to the players, and the players LOVE the new coaches. Players are pumped. Mess threw his own players under the bus and coach kluker ran his linemen into the ground while berating them and I State.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The team unity and attitude is the best it's been in years. The coaches are listening to the players, and the players LOVE the new coaches. Players are pumped. Mess threw his own players under the bus and coach kluker ran his linemen into the ground while berating them and I State.
I'll be interested to see the OL play after all of the Klenakis comments. CPR must not have thought he was that bad - Klenakis didn't get fired, but instead left for Louisville...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll be interested to see the OL play after all of the Klenakis comments. CPR must not have thought he was that bad - Klenakis didn't get fired, but instead left for Louisville...

Yeah, but Rhoads loves him some blue collar lunch pail type coaches. Even if they do run your guys to death. I'm sure Rhoads' opinion is that you can't possibly run a kid too much.

He might feel differently this year after seeing all the injuries we had there last year and how they got manhandled by teams like UNI.