Friday OT - Red Meat

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I consider BBQ ribs to be the ultimate in carnivorous activity. The raw brutality of eating meat directly off the bone is it. Close second: Prime rib.

I've never been a rib guy, however the beef ribs at the Salt Lick in Austin Texas are flat out amazing.

I love all sorts of red meats, not sure I can pick a favorite. Steaks, Brisko, Bloody Burgers, love it all.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My comfort food is a well marbled beef roast slow cooked in the crock pot all day with potatoes, onions, carrots, maybe some cabbage. Start it with some beef stock and bouillon cubes or onion soup mix and I'm just about as satisfied as any fancy schmancy meal I've ever had.

I also make a nice country style rib recipe slow cooked in the oven. Very simple but folks rave.

Very picky on meatloaf. I have a very old recipe that is about the best, according to my tastes, I've ever found.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
For me it's a PROPERLY grilled pork chop or loin. Making some tonight.

Runner ups-
Walleye/Yellow Perch shore lunch.
Raw Oysters
Grilled Fresh grouper
smoked salmon

Last edited:

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
My answer is "yes".

If I have to get specific, Cajun-rubbed T-bone. Extra spice.

But, I don't know of any kind of red meat or seafood that I do not like.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Chicago Chophouse - Long bone dry aged Tomahawk Rib eye!!

This would make Fred Flintstone jealous.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
1. Pork ribs- smoked
2. Steak
3. Bacon
4. Spanish cured ham

If seafood was included, King Crab legs would be no. 3.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I should have been more precise on what kind of steak. I like steak au poivre. I like the creamy sauce, rather than the more liquor-based ones.

The cattle ranchers in my family would tell you that if you have to put sauce on a steak, that's a bad sign. Steak should stand on its own...with maybe a touch of salt & pepper. ;)

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
The only correct answer is bacon...

[video=youtube;CaK9bjLy3v4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9bjLy3v4[/video]

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was going to rail on you about frenching up a steak.......but this sounds awesome.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-au-poivre-recipe.html

That's the recipe I use when I make it. it's really, really good.

The cattle ranchers in my family would tell you that if you have to put sauce on a steak, that's a bad sign. Steak should stand on its own...with maybe a touch of salt & pepper. ;)

There is zero wrong with a pan sauce, made from the remnants of the steak you just cooked. A little wine, a few herbs, make sure to get all the fond off of the bottom of the pan. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
That's the recipe I use when I make it. it's really, really good.

There is zero wrong with a pan sauce, made from the remnants of the steak you just cooked. A little wine, a few herbs, make sure to get all the fond off of the bottom of the pan. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

Matter of taste, my friend. Taste, and the product of generations of Texas ranchers going back to the influx of German settlers in the early 1800s. :)

Besides, any drippings from our steaks go into the flames of the grill. Hubby even grills in 3 ft of snow!

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

You're doing yourself a disservice by not cooking that steak on a charcoal grill instead of in a pan!

Just kidding. I do like grilled steak, but my favorite way (which also happens to be the easiest way) is to cook a steak in a hot cast iron skillet. The way it rapidly sears the outside locks in so much juice and flavor. It's not a good method for pan sauce, though, unless you like it with little black flecks of metal.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I will admit to adding saute'd (you can't spell that with my keyboard) onion, shrooms & a wee bit of garlic as a topping to the cheaper cuts....