Friday OT - Red Meat

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You're doing yourself a disservice by not cooking that steak on a charcoal grill instead of in a pan!

Just kidding. I do like grilled steak, but my favorite way (which also happens to be the easiest way) is to cook a steak in a hot cast iron skillet. The way it rapidly sears the outside locks in so much juice and flavor. It's not a good method for pan sauce, though, unless you like it with little black flecks of metal.

??? Sounds like you have something wrong with your pan. Pieces of metal shouldn't come off of it.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Pork over the past couple of years has surpassed beef for me for a favorite meat. A good pulled pork can't be beat.

Shrimp is my seafood of choice, but I also enjoy trout and salmon. And it's been waaaaaaay too long since I had walleye.

Fave specific dish? Blackened prime rib from Misty's in Lincoln with a side of horseradish sauce.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If it was alive, and someone has a recipe for preparing it, I probably like it.

I enjoy meat of all kinds, but I get a particular perverse enjoyment out of "weird" meats that most people can't stomach. Any kind of pickled animal part, or stuff like head cheese and jaeternice are all delicious, IMO.

Your NE Iowa coming thru there.

:pwink:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It is freaking amazing. I don't use a ton of the sauce, and honestly mix a lot of it with the rice that I get as a side, but the peppercorn is awesome. I think Janny uses that recipe and it's awesome.

But is it awesome?

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
I'm a fruitarian. Only eat fruit that has fallen off the tree so that it is, in fact, already dead. Everything else is just too brutal to comprehend.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm a fruitarian. Only eat fruit that has fallen off the tree so that it is, in fact, already dead. Everything else is just too brutal to comprehend.

It was cruel of you to let it fall to the ground. Haven't you considered how much that hurt; how frightened it was on the way down; how desperately it clung to the branch? You could have at least put a pillow out for the poor thing!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think all these steak posts have been wafting their way toward my hubby. He just called & said he's picking up steak & fixins on the way home.

Mmmmmmmm nummy nummy!!!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Okay, it doesn't actually have to be red meat. What is your favorite meat dish? Steak, chicken parmesan, pork chops and applesauce, barbecued pork, etc., etc.

I usually eat mostly chicken, but when I'm pregnant I want red meat. I mostly crave steaks and gyros.

Me too.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
First choice for me a velvety tender beef tenderloin rubbed with vegetable oil and my favorite spices seared shut over high heat on my grill then lower the temp and finish at about 300 degrees until my finger presses into the center without resistance.
Second choice is a beatifully marbled ribeye prepared the same as above.