**** Haws recent thoughts on Bubu Palo

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
For a journalist and a professor to write such a letter based on sketchy, at best, "evidence" is troublesome. He received an unmarked envelope which contained what he describes "appears to be ISU President Steven Leath's examination of the Palo matter". Then, he goes on to spout out the contents and the Ames Tribune had the audacity to print it.

Anyone could have sent that envelope. Anyone could have fabricated the contents within. It is not hard at all to create an authentic looking letter, e-mail, or website. Simply asked those fooled into submitting passwords online.

http://www.printfriendly.com/print/...opinion/palo-lawsuit-against-accuser-surprise

Further, Mr. Haws lives within a short jog (<1.5 miles) from the childhood home of the accuser. This whole thing smells.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like a local retiree to the rescue for the administration. Looks like he has opened pandora's box also on himself. This is CSI:Ames. He must be feeling his oaties.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I rarely have sources. However I will say I have been told by somebody who knows more than anybody here that there were very good reasons why leath did what he did. They didn't go in to detail and I didn't ask.

Regardless my life will likely be improved by never hearing about palo or this case ever again.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
For a journalist and a professor to write such a letter based on sketchy, at best, "evidence" is troublesome. He received an unmarked envelope which contained what he describes "appears to be ISU President Steven Leath's examination of the Palo matter". Then, he goes on to spout out the contents and the Ames Tribune had the audacity to print it.

Anyone could have sent that envelope. Anyone could have fabricated the contents within. It is not hard at all to create an authentic looking letter, e-mail, or website. Simply asked those fooled into submitting passwords online.

http://www.printfriendly.com/print/...opinion/palo-lawsuit-against-accuser-surprise

Further, Mr. Haws lives within a short jog (<1.5 miles) from the childhood home of the accuser. This whole thing smells.

Seems like one side has tried to use the press to promote their case. If it's going to go to trial, let the facts come out in court and the chips fall where they may.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I would imagine a retired journalist would at least attempt to authenticate the documents he has before writing about them. Why was information about such an attempt not included in this writing? Even a statement along the lines of: "the administration would not comment on the authenticity of the document" would be more than what we have (at least we would know someone at least tried to authenticate it).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What an unfortunate name.

I'm picturing some kind of Dr. Moreau-ian human/donkey genital hybrid, and because of Rule 34, I'm sure pictures of that already exist.

So... I guess I'll be back in a few minutes.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

So, he claims he received information, wrote about it to a public medium and attached his name to it.

Sounds like a 1000 times a day occurrence on this website, save one of the above details.....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hmmm. I wonder where the package came from? So much for his objective journalism. If he were teaching one of his classes, I think he would call for full disclosure of the document, not just his elective references from it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I would imagine a retired journalist would at least attempt to authenticate the documents he has before writing about them. Why was information about such an attempt not included in this writing? Even a statement along the lines of: "the administration would not comment on the authenticity of the document" would be more than what we have (at least we would know someone at least tried to authenticate it).

This ^^^

Additionally, I'm a little confused by his 7th paragraph. I thought that the matter went to President Leath because the administrative law judge went through all the documents & heard testimony, and ruled that there were not sufficient grounds to uphold misconduct charges. Leath "said he reviewed all of the exhibits, etc" from Judicial affairs, which had recommended expulsion.

There's a contradiction there.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I rarely have sources. However I will say I have been told by somebody who knows more than anybody here that there were very good reasons why leath did what he did. They didn't go in to detail and I didn't ask.

Regardless my life will likely be improved by never hearing about palo or this case ever again.

I'm not doubting that you heard something however that's an easy game to play that kind of reminds me of how Morgan was ran out of town. That's why if this goes to trial it will be either good or bad that the administration gets the opportunity to tell what it knows and if it's anything more than the county attorney and judges already knew.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
So, he claims he received information, wrote about it to a public medium and attached his name to it.

Sounds like a 1000 times a day occurrence on this website, save one of the above details.....

Not quite the same as being published in the newspaper.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
This person has no idea how the criminal or civil justice system works in this country. Someone actually paid him as a professional journalist at some point?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
This person has no idea how the criminal or civil justice system works in this country. Someone actually paid him as a professional journalist at some point?

Just curious as to what you are basing this on.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Not quite the same as being published in the newspaper.

He's not paid (at least not that I can see) by the Tribune. This is an opinion piece. Nothing more, nothing less. You guys can send in whatever you want as well.

And furthermore, I don't really see him issuing much of an opinion on the matter other than a concern that future victims may not pursue justice because of possible civil action. A concern I have too.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Based on what? He seems to know what he is talking about from what I read.

I agree. He just made a journalism degree from ISU worth a lot less. Also if the alleged memo is going to end up in court, as he states, why does he need to release parts of it, obviously in defense of Leath, and then conclude with a "one-sentence opinion"?

He didn't leak this to the Trib. Its an opinion piece.