**** Haws recent thoughts on Bubu Palo

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Based on what? He seems to know what he is talking about from what I read.

He didn't leak this to the Trib. Its an opinion piece.
I revised my wording to reflect his tactic of releasing portions of his alleged memo, which were an obvious defense of Leath, and then concluding his "opinion" with a one-sentence opinion on victims.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I don't see that much wrong with this opinion piece, if the information comes out in courts than he will be validated if not then he will look like an idiot.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Just curious-can a retired ISU professor use an official Iowa State University email address?

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
This ^^^

Additionally, I'm a little confused by his 7th paragraph. I thought that the matter went to President Leath because the administrative law judge went through all the documents & heard testimony, and ruled that there were not sufficient grounds to uphold misconduct charges. Leath "said he reviewed all of the exhibits, etc" from Judicial affairs, which had recommended expulsion.

There's a contradiction there.

Yes there are a lot of factual errors and omissions (both ways) about the status of the situation. The Office of Judicial Affairs that was prosecuting the case before the ALJ appears to have appealed to Leath so could have made that recommendation. But not mentioning the ALJ's ruling of this case that Leath apparently listened too and basing his decision on creates a misleading picture at best.

Also interesting about him stating bubu was blackout drunk and high. So how could he legally consent? So if neither side consented shouldn't they both be kicked out? ( insert Jimlad)

Also this contradicts Leath's actual ruling in which he said he concurred with most of the ALJ's findings just not some of his interpretations of the student code. This makes it sound like Leath felt he was guilty of forcible rape and physical assault so not sure how that is in anyway agreeing with the ALJ'so findings. Also odd that he felt fabricating evidence didn't hurt her credibility but him being drunk hurt his? How is that different than attacking a victim's credibility because they were drunk?

I do agree that it is an ugly mess. Starting to think Bubu would have been better off moving on and just trying to clear his name the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I see no problem with this opinion piece. When this finally goes to civil trial, bubu may look a lot worse in the end.

Shall be interesting. It's a shame he couldn't just let it die out and move onto CSU.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I see no problem with this opinion piece. When this finally goes to civil trial, bubu may look a lot worse in the end.

Shall be interesting. It's a shame he couldn't just let it die out and move onto CSU.

Agreed. And I agree with the piece that this (through no real fault of Bubu's) could have the adverse affect of other victims seeking justice.

I just hope justice is done - although it seems that for one of the two (maybe both?) it's not going to happen.

In the end - I hope for his sake that Bubu is innocent in this. I would imagine he's been forewarned that he was not found innocent, but rather had the charges dropped. Hence he is still able to be prosecuted if something were to come out that the DA found damning - double jeopardy is not a protection here. Extremely unlikely I suppose. But he's not free and clear of the original charge

legal scholars feel free to correct me on that.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Without Bubu's help, this thing becomes more and more twisted. I wonder if Leath, any members of the Board or Regents (RH in particular) or Mr. Richard Haws sources will testify in this case.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
For a journalist and a professor to write such a letter based on sketchy, at best, "evidence" is troublesome. He received an unmarked envelope which contained what he describes "appears to be ISU President Steven Leath's examination of the Palo matter". Then, he goes on to spout out the contents and the Ames Tribune had the audacity to print it.

Anyone could have sent that envelope. Anyone could have fabricated the contents within. It is not hard at all to create an authentic looking letter, e-mail, or website. Simply asked those fooled into submitting passwords online.

http://www.printfriendly.com/print/...opinion/palo-lawsuit-against-accuser-surprise

Further, Mr. Haws lives within a short jog (<1.5 miles) from the childhood home of the accuser. This whole thing smells.

Yup, I'm sure it was fabricated. Someone is just clearly out to get poor Bubu.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just curious-can a retired ISU professor use an official Iowa State University email address? Isn't that the illegal use of State property?

You can keep your email once you leave ISU for a fee. Not sure why anyone would, but you could do it when I graduated.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I emailed Tom Miller, the State Attorney General, to get a clarification on that question. Haws only calls himself "retired professor" not a "retired professor emeritus".

You must be joking. You didn't acutally contact the state attorney general because a retired professor uses his ISU email account did you?

I would have to believe that ISU allows retired professors to use their old email as a professional courtesy if anything. If ISU didn't want it to be used it would be disabled.

Holy mountain out of mole hill.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

Eating $50,000 worth of legal fees would make me second guess 'just letting it die out'...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I emailed Tom Miller, the State Attorney General, to get a clarification on that question. Haws only calls himself "retired professor" not a "retired professor emeritus".

This may be the site's most desperate "gotcha" attempt ever.
Since we're on that track, Richard Haws is on the ISU list of Emeritus faculty:

http://www.provost.iastate.edu/resources/emeritus

It's alphabetical. You'll find him under "H".

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
If he's going to hold himself up to be a professional and a professor he should pay attention to details. If he doesn't he loses credibility. The devil's in the details. And yes I did email the State Attorney General and also Iowa State through their website iastate.edu.
Really? People that do **** like you are the exact reason why I'm glad that people complain that it's difficult to fire public workers for frivolous things like this. You're literally looking for a reason to get this person in trouble for merely writing an opinion piece.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Good catch. Now we'll see if a professor emeritus gets a free State email address for life. (maybe so, and if it is maybe the public would like to know what all perks that a professor emeritus gets free for life)

You do realize "email" is a method of transferring electronic messages and not a type of car, don't you Grandpa?

Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You do realize "email" is a method of transferring electronic messages and not a type of car, don't you Grandpa?

Minor observation - having the ISU domain on the email could lend an aura of authenticity that ****.haws at yaddayadda.com would not.

While I don't think I would have carried it quite as far as aaaauuuuummm, I think it was an honest question. I don't think the "grandpa" was necessary.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

The only response I could think of is expressed by these venerable rockers from my high school days...

[video=youtube;5XcKBmdfpWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs[/video]

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Young whipper-snapper get off my lawn. chuckle...dang, I was thinking of going down to the dealership and buying one of those new-fangled "emails" to drive around. Now what am I going to do?