JP's short list

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
All AD's keep (or should) a short list of candidates lined up in case the current coach unexpectedly leaves. Who do you think J.P. has on his short list? And do you think it includes this guy?

Jamie Pollard @IASTATEAD · 10h

Enjoying a night out in Seattle with @coachotz Great to catchup with TJ. Alison is 4 months pregnant with twins! pic.twitter.com/A7Hwn9dJmI

[COLOR=#0084B4 !important]View more photos and videos

[/COLOR]

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would certainly hope that TJ is down on the contingency list as a back up option at this point.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
His short list includes: Begging Fred to stay, begging on one knee for him to stay, begging with a bag of cash and a rose for him to stay, ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................TJ

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I would certainly hope that TJ is down on the contingency list as a back up option at this point.

Why?

I know zero about coaching, prospective coaches, up and comers, etc. I could probably name about 20 college coaches outside ISU. So I have zero idea who's likely.

But TJ is revered here. Has an excellent reputation. Clearly can recruit and has very strong ties to ISU.

And it's not like our last "no-headcoaching experience" hire didn't work out halfway decent.

Downside?

(or are you thinking he may have TOO much coaching experience? :wink:)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Just because it worked tremendously with a man who's never failed at anything means it will work again.
Fred's special. You don't plan like he's the norm. You just appreciate that people like him don't come around very often.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I think if/ when Fred decides to leave the first person JP calls is T.J. He knows the plan Hoiberg has put into place and I think he would cone very highly recommended from Hoiberg as well.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Fred stays for another 5-7 years while grooming Charlie Henry to be the next head coach and keep our offensive juggernaut going.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Phil Jackson
Tom Tibedeau
Izzo
Coach K
Pitino
Billy Donovan
Guessing Bill Self would not move inter conference.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Why?

I know zero about coaching, prospective coaches, up and comers, etc. I could probably name about 20 college coaches outside ISU. So I have zero idea who's likely.

But TJ is revered here. Has an excellent reputation. Clearly can recruit and has very strong ties to ISU.

And it's not like our last "no-headcoaching experience" hire didn't work out halfway decent.

Downside?

Fred was a huge gamble. A gamble that happened to work out really well. I think Otz could make a great head coach, but he would be another big gamble that may not work out as well. I think many would probably agree that we could attract a more experienced coach at this point in the program.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I don't know that I'd count the stint in the Timberwolves front office as a success.

You're right, lots of unsuccessful people end up working in NBA front offices. Barely a step up from McDonalds drive through attendant.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Just because it worked tremendously with a man who's never failed at anything means it will work again.
Fred's special. You don't plan like he's the norm. You just appreciate that people like him don't come around very often.

Not sure if you were replying to me or not....

But are you suggesting that TJ would come into the HC job at ISU under even remotely similar circumstances as Fred?

The man has recruited and sat on the sidelines of college for what? 10 years? Including a couple on our own under what may end up being our best coach EVER. Not to mention under the tutelage of what is considered one of the best offensive minds in the game.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Why?

Downside?

I'm not saying I don't think TJ has value, or that he can never be a good coach, but hopefully we are not at a place as a program where we could attract a more proven commodity.

A guy like TJ in that situation should be a back up option until he proves himself in that role. Fred is the exception. Generally you would like to see some head coaching experience prior to stepping into the role at the B12 level coaching against Bill Self, Bruce Webber, Lon Krueger, Tubby, Rick Barnes, etc

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not sure if you were replying to me or not....

But are you suggesting that TJ would come into the HC job at ISU under even remotely similar circumstances as Fred?

The man has recruited and sat on the sidelines of college for what? 10 years? Including a couple on our own under what may end up being our best coach EVER. Not to mention under the tutelage of what is considered one of the best offensive minds in the game.

No one seems to be in a hurry to hire him as a head coach.
Maybe he's potentially great, maybe not, but nobody seems very eager to hire him for a head coaching job.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Phil Jackson
Tom Tibedeau
Izzo
Coach K
Pitino
Billy Donovan
Guessing Bill Self would not move inter conference.

Two of those are on the downstretch of their careers, and will end where they are. Two I don't know much about. Three are coaches that either have real baggage or far too many rumors following them wherever they go. Surely JP can come up with better fits for ISU...

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Fred was a huge gamble. A gamble that happened to work out really well. I think Otz could make a great head coach, but he would be another big gamble that may not work out as well. I think many would probably agree that we could attract a more experienced coach at this point in the program.

Like?

Every coach is a risk. McDermott and Chizik had all the cred in the world coming in.

I think some are overstating our position here, given our recent success. Does ANYONE believe Fred would be here at all, or certainly still be sitting over in Sukup today, if he weren't a hometown product? We hit the freaking lottery there boys and girls.

I just find it funny, that somehow we are now above TJ in many minds. A guy, I'll remind, we COULD NOT POSSIBLY LOSE 4 years ago. Seriously, eveyone's first words when Fred was hired was "what'll happen to TJ?"

All that said - again, I have zero idea if TJ is worthy. But wow.....:embarrassed:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron