JP's short list

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CaseyJones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2008
What about Hornacek? Those pro gigs don't tend to last a lot of years. He could possibly be on the list. Personally, my hope is that Fred and Jeff win next years National Title and NBA Finals. That would really put ISU on the map. A guy can always dream.

Best name yet. Could Jeff be Fred's top assistant for 4 or 5 years first?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
On a side note, it seems like Fizer has shown a lot of interest in the program lately. Wouldn't mind at all getting him back here once his career is over. Doesn't have to be as an assistant or anything but get him back doing some camps or something like that.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think you and I view the era under a different lens.

The very public lack of support (offering suspension, possible reinstatement if treatment was sought) for a coach he supervised would be more than enough to make any non-desperate coach think twice about working for him.

The basketball team was already trending downward before Morgan was let go.

No doubt the handling of the LE mess was the low point for BVD at ISU. And with a losing season followed by a season with a first round home NIT loss, LE was slipping, some reasons we knew about and some maybe a lot of fans didn't know about. But we had bounced back with an NIT final 4 and advanced to the 2nd round of the NCAA the next two years. I also would really liked to have seen the team stay together with Stinson, Blaylock, Rashon and a healthy Taggart forming the nucleus as I think that team would have been back in the NCAA and may have done some damage there.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I assume that if Fred leaves, he's not going to blindside JP by leaving. I bet JP will be in the loop and will have options available and I bet that Fred will be a big part of helping JP come up with the list. Like someone said, if its 5-7 years down the line, Charlie Henry could be on the list. If its in 1-2 years, I would guess TJ would be at the top of the list.

Lets assume that TJ would be Fred's choice as a replacement. Who from this list of candidates would you want JP to hire.
TJ (as Fred's hand picked successory)---Honestly think ISU can get someone better
Shaka Smart (from VCU)---Doubt he comes here
Gregg Marshal (from Wichita State)---Doubt he comes here
Quin Snyder (NBA, formerlly Mizzou)---He coaches for the Jazz now...if he fails I can maybe see it
Lon Krugar (Oklahoma)---Not going to a conference team
Tony Bennett (Virginia)---Not coming
Jim Boylen (Spurs assistant, former Izzo assistant)---Interesting....Spurs hired Messina who will be the new coach once Pops quits
Buzz Williams (formerly Marquette, now Virginia Tech)---won't come/found out he's not good enough
Danny Manning (Tulsa)---I don't see a Kansas legend going to Ames. Can you see Hoiberg coaching Kansas ever?
Tommy Amakar (Harvard)---Can see this, best one of the ones on your board

Even assuming all of those guys would go to Iowa State, if I found out Fred told JP that TJ would be the ideal head coach to replace him, and JP hired someone else, I'd be furious. If he didn't have Fred's endorsement, I wouldn't want JP to hire him.

It'll either be an assistant at a top program or a mid-major/BCS coach at a middle-tier school imo.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I'm sure Coach Otz is on the short list of a number of ADs around the country. Great recruiter and his in game skills I'm sure have progressed tremendously. He'll be a HC in one to three years at a mid-major. Of course, JP may take a chance on him like he did with CFH.