JP's short list

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No one seems to be in a hurry to hire him as a head coach.
Maybe he's potentially great, maybe not, but nobody seems very eager to hire him for a head coaching job.

If CFH stays as most of us hope (till the twins are graduated, either from Gilbert or ISU), that would be plenty of time for TJ to prove himself in a headcoach position at a D2 and/or mid-majors. He could be a viable option in the future. Then again, if our collective dreams come true, I'll likely be dead & buried before CFH retires! ;)

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
His short list includes: Begging Fred to stay, begging on one knee for him to stay, begging with a bag of cash and a rose for him to stay, ........................................................................................................................................................................................Hold mirror up to Fred in the hopes Fred would get lost in his own dreaminess and forget to leave......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................TJ

FIFY

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Whoever it is... Recruiter 1st, coach 2nd. Josh Pastner wins 75% of his games. That tells me all I need to know.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Whoever it is... Recruiter 1st, coach 2nd. Josh Pastner wins 75% of his games. That tells me all I need to know.

I think you also need strong leadership. Recruiting + Leadership will get you about 80% of the way there with X's & O's being the rest.

Fortunately we have recruiting + leadership + X's & O's with Fred

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

I feel like this needs to be qualified by saying that, prior to this past season, 90% of Pastner's games were against the Tulanes and East Carolinas of college basketball and he was 0-12 against ranked teams.

Last edited:

mkleve44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2012
West Des Moines
I was just thinking this the other day, I saw that Marcus Fizer was tweeting a lot about ISU basketball and how he needs to come back. Do you think ISU would consider him for an assistant coach position? Or would he even want to do that?

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Like?

Every coach is a risk. McDermott and Chizik had all the cred in the world coming in.

I think some are overstating our position here, given our recent success. Does ANYONE believe Fred would be here at all, or certainly still be sitting over in Sukup today, if he weren't a hometown product? We hit the freaking lottery there boys and girls.

I just find it funny, that somehow we are now above TJ in many minds. A guy, I'll remind, we COULD NOT POSSIBLY LOSE 4 years ago. Seriously, eveyone's first words when Fred was hired was "what'll happen to TJ?"

All that said - again, I have zero idea if TJ is worthy. But wow.....:embarrassed:

Of course every coach is a risk, but some are bigger risks than others. Even if they're "less risky," they might not work out (Chizik), but it's all a game of odds and you play that game the best you can.

I agree that people are overstating our position, and I'm not saying we're going to have Coach K and Izzo knocking on our doors. I do think we'll be in a good enough position to attract some of the young, up and coming talent that have proven themselves. That might even end up being Otz, I don't know, but I don't think he's the very first place we look for the head coaching job at this point.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Fred was a huge gamble. A gamble that happened to work out really well. I think Otz could make a great head coach, but he would be another big gamble that may not work out as well. I think many would probably agree that we could attract a more experienced coach at this point in the program.

No doubt we will be able to attract a much better group of coaching candidates if and when Fred leaves than when Fred came. The program was in such a mess at that time that even a no name coach that was an up and comer would likely have looked for better options, so imo Fred was by far our best option under the circumstances. We couldn't even get any good candidates to take the job when LE got canned, and the program was in better shape than when GMac left. Obviously our best option by far is to pray that Fred wants to coach here until he retires, then make him the A.D. if he wants it.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Two of those are on the downstretch of their careers, and will end where they are. Two I don't know much about. Three are coaches that either have real baggage or far too many rumors following them wherever they go. Surely JP can come up with better fits for ISU...

hmmm. Upon further reflection, I seem to have missed an implied jimlad here?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
No doubt we will be able to attract a much better group of coaching candidates if and when Fred leaves than when Fred came. The program was in such a mess at that time that even a no name coach that was an up and comer would likely have looked for better options, so imo Fred was by far our best option under the circumstances. We couldn't even get any good candidates to take the job when LE got canned, and the program was in better shape than when GMac left. Obviously our best option by far is to pray that Fred wants to coach here until he retires, then make him the A.D. if he wants it.

Eh - the program was in better shape, but the boss was less than desirable, IMO.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
All I know is this: Don't expect any guys whose better days are behind them. Names like Tubby Smith, etc. Based off of my observations, Pollard is all about finding the next big thing.

Wait, you are acknowledging the possibility of Fred leaving? He gone.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Eh - the program was in better shape, but the boss was less than desirable, IMO.

This. The program was ok. The hiring process was completely and utterly f'd up.

Which reminds me, it's time for my daily "Thank you God for Jamie" prayer.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I don't even want to 'think about' who would replace our present coach. But as for TJ ,in general, he's sniffed around some smaller jobs and has come up empty. With another year on Romar's staff and having his experience here, along with his recruiting reputation, one would expect he'd get a chance at a head coaching job one of these days...somewhere. Guess I just can't imagine him jumping right into a high major gig, tho, as a head coach. I agree that CFH is not the norm, nor is Ollie, yet they both have multiple NBA experiences under their belt. Always thought TJ would get a job in a small school in Wisconsin, but then again, I hadn't pictured him going to Seattle either. Would imagine he can recruit anywhere.