Favorite place of all time?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For me it's more about that moment.

*Flying into Vegas at night and seeing the strip.

*The first time you're standing in a pool in Mexico while drinking a beer and looking at the ocean. Knowing that for the next week that this is all you're going to do.

*Visiting battle sites in Normandy France and thinking about what soldiers go through.

*The first few minutes of tailgating season. You know the team will probably disappoint but the tailgating never does.

*Being the only people standing on 300+ foot cliff in Ireland.

*Sitting down and having a Guinness in a bar that is a few hundred years old in Dublin.

*Rome. Constantly amazed by the number of sites and the history.

*UK. I'm not a fan of kids but I always get a chuckle when I hear them speak.

*Driving into my hometown after not seeing it for a few years and nothing ever changes.

Hope to add some special moments this fall when I head to Germany and Belgium

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Red Rocks for a great show is the best thing in Colorado. After 20 years, it is still simply amazing.

rr14.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Haven't been out of the US yet, but my favorites that I've been is Vegas, Tempe, and Memphis.

Drove through Colorado numerous times and was at Pikes Peak growing up. Man what I would do to move to CO.

Colorado is such a beautiful place; I just love the mountains. If I ever moved out of WI, I'd move to there or the Nashville area.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
same but i dont see my self leaving iowa

Same here. Family all lives within an hour of the metro, I love ISU games too much, and Iowa is a great place to raise kids.

The best I'll get is maybe a timeshare or a condo someday in Colorado.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
JTS, without a doubt. I grew up in Ames, and watched as a big hole in the ground was slowly developed and turned into one of the best places in the nation for college football, and it keeps getting better, and better...

After that, it'd have to be Washington, DC. There is so much of our country's heritage built into that city, an everyday reminder of how our founding fathers and those who followed behind them toiled and sacrificed so we could live in the greatest country on earth! You could spend a whole summer there, (I know because I did), and only scratch the surface.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I've done some traveling before but my 3 favorite places are.

JTS on a Saturday in the fall. The tailgating, the friends and family, the games, the smell of food. Even watching drunk college kids wondering around. Extra bonus if we win the game.

Ragbrai.... Yes it's in a different area each year. But you meet some great people. Spend time with friends. And lets not forget the biking part of it.

My other favorite place back home on a harvest day.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
1) Las Vegas. Not to live but to visit. Has a little bit of everything and you can suspend reality and pretend like you are back in college with no worries.

1a) In the Caribbean. Doesn't matter if its on a beach in St. Thomas, hiking through the mountains of Tortola, or in the middle of the ocean on a cruise ship. My favorite relaxing vacation is on a cruise ship waking up in a different place each day.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Bavarian alps in Germany. Stumbled into a hostel and spent the night in Füssen drinking at biergartens and riding bikes around the area. Rode up to the Neuschwanstein castle the next day. Swam in the spring fed lake near the castles.

Just beautiful around there.

Came here to post basically the same thing though. No bike though. Instead I got the chance to drive a convertible around the alps. Holy crap was that fun. I didn't get the chance to spend more than an hour or so in Lindau though. I have a feeling if I'd spent more time there it might have topped Fuessen.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The Sea Ranch in Sonoma County, California is my favorite place. It's about three hours north of San Francisco, including at least an hour drive on Hwy 1 (which is a long drive, but truly beautiful). I like pretty much anyplace I've been to along the Pacific Ocean, but this place is the best. Even during tourist season, it's not particularly crowded because it's so far out of the way. The climate is mild all year round - never hot and humid, never snows. I love the smell of the fresh marine air and that somehow, that one spot on the coast can at times be the only one without fog/low clouds. The immediate coastal area doesn't have a lot of trees, aside from wind-breaks. But once you get a quarter to half mile from the water, there is much more vegetation, including huge redwoods just over the first ridge.

I would live there in a heartbeat, if I could afford it. There are "cheaper" homes in the area, but many are pushing towards $1m, if not over. I'd buy this house if I could afford it, but I don't have an extra $1.875m laying around (unfortunately).

[video=youtube;zpAOT2PwHUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpAOT2PwHUo[/video]

View attachment 26564

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Telluride, CO - incredible scenery, great skiing/snowboarding, great hiking, not any where near as vapid or stuffy as the ski towns closer to Denver

Ames, IA - I fell in love the day I stepped on Campus, and still feel the same way. Great people. Hard-working, and overlooked by the outside world.

Driftless Region, IA/MN/WI - Where I currently reside (and I doubt I'll leave), and probably one of the most "underrated" places in the US. Beautiful scenery, an endless supply of awesome outdoor activities (hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing/kayaking, hunting, rock-climbing, skiing, snowmobiling, boating) with friendly locals. A local culture somewhat apart from the states it overlaps, with some great smaller cities (LaCrosse, Rochester, Dubuque). The rest of the world doesn't really have much awareness, so it's still a bit unspoiled. I suspect that may change in my lifetime.

Austin, TX/Madison, WI - I lump them together because they both provide a similar vibe due to the unique mix of college town/state capitol that they both claim. Music heavy towns, with great food and outdoor activities to boot. Pretty good as far as cities go.

Des Moines - Really a great city to live in. I loved my time there, and always enjoy visiting. Like so many of the things I'm drawn to, it's still a bit under-the-radar. It has a lot of great recreational options, but never feels overwhelming or unfriendly.

Fort Collins, CO - The Napa Valley of beer. Great beer, great people, great outdoors.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Unfortunately I've never been to europe. I have a feeling I would love it.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Stayed at a bad *** resort and it was beautiful

I've been all over the US but one place that really hit me was a trip to Gettysburg with the Boy Scouts when I was 13. We went out to walk the battle fields early in the morning and there was a fog rolling through. Just eerie and meaningful. We toured the whole area, saw all the monuments, and spent hours at the museum hearing about and reading about the details of the battle. I'm a history and military buff so it was an experience.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm going to throw in another vote for Ames as well.

Tailgates and parties of course.
However a couple experiences stick out to me as well. Going for a walk around campus on a nice spring evening. Just beautiful and peaceful.
Also, the first hot day of the summer. Going for a walk or a run around campus. Everyone's outside playing frisbee or football. All the hot girls break out their bikinis and lay out on the grass. Everyone takes their studying outside. For me that's what college should be like on campus. Perfect. That and gameday are pretty much all you need.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Unfortunately I've never been to europe. I have a feeling I would love it.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Stayed at a bad *** resort and it was beautiful

I've been all over the US but one place that really hit me was a trip to Gettysburg with the Boy Scouts when I was 13. We went out to walk the battle fields early in the morning and there was a fog rolling through. Just eerie and meaningful. We toured the whole area, saw all the monuments, and spent hours at the museum hearing about and reading about the details of the battle. I'm a history and military buff so it was an experience.

Your post and another one from someone else about Normandy both resonate with me. Sometimes it feels like most Americans are all about the now and the future, and care little about the past. I've been to both of those places...just walking around quietly and absorbing the essence of the people that lived (and died) there. A very humbling experience.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron