Favorite place of all time?

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What is everyone's favorite place they've ever been to, whether it be US or abroad and why do you like that place so much?? Is it because of the people, culture, scenery (both people and environment), experiences with another person, etc.? I'm a person that loves to travel and would take personal experiences over materials any day. I like to learn about other cultures, as it seems to give me an appreciation for what I have back home. Traveling is definitely an addiction.

It's a tough decision, but I'd have to go with Scotland for the scenery/people. The highlands were pretty cool and hiking around Edinburgh gave me an appreciation for their country. My friends that went all had a blast and it'd be a country we'd probably go back to.

My least favorite would have been South Dakota to the black hills as a kid. I ended up getting sick outside of Perkins and threw up everywhere.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
For a learning experience, it has to be Pompeii and Herculaneum. It's a trip back to 79 AD. These old cities are stunningly fascinating, and you will learn many truths about mankind, things you never, ever realized before. While you're there, you must also visit the museum where many "finds" from the digs are displayed in Naples. Extraordinary.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For a learning experience, it has to be Pompeii and Herculaneum. It's a trip back to 79 AD. These old cities are stunningly fascinating, and you will learn many truths about mankind, things you never, ever realized before. While you're there, you must also visit the museum where many "finds" from the digs are displayed in Naples. Extraordinary.

That sounds awesome and would be high on my list of places to see.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Favorite place overall- Railay Bay, Thailand, amazing scenery, friendly locals, great food

Other great places I've been:
Krakow, Poland- great food, good partying, beautiful architecture, lots of hot chicks.
Hong Kong- it's like a cleaner, nicer, cheaper and more scenic NYC
Amsterdam- hookers, weed, booze. It's a carnival of sin, like what Vegas thinks it is.
Rome, Paris, Budapest- all have excellent history, architecture, food, scenery
Cusco, Peru- amazing scenery and history, friendly people, good food and booze.
New Orleans- awesome food, great party city
San Francisco- great city and great jumping off point for Yosemite, Redwoods, desert, ocean, Napa.

Worst places:
Nebraska as a whole, I did like the SAC air museum though
Columbus, OH- it's a soulless generic borefest full of chain restaurants, lame OSU tards and nothing of interest to do.
Houston, TX- it's a smelly dump and the locals are mostly garbage too which explains the smell

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I loved Ireland in general and Galway in particular. However I also love my family farm down here in South-central Iowa too.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Bavarian alps in Germany. Stumbled into a hostel and spent the night in Füssen drinking at biergartens and riding bikes around the area. Rode up to the Neuschwanstein castle the next day. Swam in the spring fed lake near the castles.

Just beautiful around there.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Pretty much any golf course. I know others have been more fortunate than me, but Troon North is the coolest course I've played. The greatest place for me though is down the street. Waveland.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Probably Scotland for me as well. Didn't get to make it to the Highlands, but I so badly want to go back. I loved the culture and scenery. I just love everything Scottish. I'm definitely doing a return trip to the UK and Ireland.

Chattanooga or Nashville for the US and then the beach in Negril and the Reading Room in Kildee for the memories :)

I should probably put the family farm on the list as well :p

Least favorite.......

the Dakotas in winter and the middle of Nebraska aren't terribly exciting.

Reactions: mj4cy

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ames
Red Rocks in Colorado
Okoboji
Mexico
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
When and if I ever retire Germany will be #1.