Favorite place of all time?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Unfortunately I've never been to europe. I have a feeling I would love it.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Stayed at a bad *** resort and it was beautiful

I've been all over the US but one place that really hit me was a trip to Gettysburg with the Boy Scouts when I was 13. We went out to walk the battle fields early in the morning and there was a fog rolling through. Just eerie and meaningful. We toured the whole area, saw all the monuments, and spent hours at the museum hearing about and reading about the details of the battle. I'm a history and military buff so it was an experience.

Your post and another one from someone else about Normandy both resonate with me. Sometimes it feels like most Americans are all about the now and the future, and care little about the past. I've been to both of those places...just walking around quietly and absorbing the essence of the people that lived (and died) there. A very humbling experience.

Chickamauga & Chattanooga Military park was the first battlefield I had been to and it was similar to hiphopp's experience at Gettysburg. It looked just like the fields at home on the farm, but it felt so different. Very solemn.....not quite sure how to describe it, but it was just like you could feel the history that had happened there.

http://www.nps.gov/chch/index.htm

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
When I read the Thread title, the 1st thing that popped into my mind was a camping spot towards the top up the east side of the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. "Crazy Woman Road." There were about 10 smaller camp sites at that spot and my wife, 3 kids and I were the only ones who stayed there. There was a mountain brook that the grounds were centered around and the kids played in the mountains boulders, and rocks close to the site and then we caught trout out of the stream and had fresh supper over an open fire. That was the vacation of Badlands, Custer, Yellowstone, and Glacier but it was that afternoon / night in the Big Horns that I remember still 6 years later.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Driving through country roads on a fall afternoon in Iowa just as harvest is starting. Love the gold tint to everything and the busy-ness of the combines in the fields and the semis. Little bite in the air. Plus points if its a Saturday afternoon and I'm heading to a small college fb game with John and Eric on the radio at a road game

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Northern Minnesota and a week on Lake Whitefish. Clear, clean water unlike the filth here in eastern Iowa.

~Even though I have been all over the 48 states plus Hawaii/Alaska/Mexico/Canada.

I think N. Minne has been the most enjoyable and relaxing. It helps that I have relatives with summer homes up there:smile:

Last edited:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Northern Minnesota and a week on Lake Whitefish. Clear, clean water unlike the filth here in eastern Iowa.

~Even though I have been all over the 48 states plus Hawaii/Alaska/Mexico/Canada.

I think N. Minne has been the most enjoyable and relaxing. It helps that I have relatives with summer homes up there:smile:

I'm a huge fan of the Boundary Waters. This will be my 3rd summer up there working with the USFS and the BSA.

This is one of my favorite shots, off of Warrior Hill in Lac La Croix.

550041_10151769305146729_98528588_n.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Driving through country roads on a fall afternoon in Iowa just as harvest is starting. Love the gold tint to everything and the busy-ness of the combines in the fields and the semis. Little bite in the air. Plus points if its a Saturday afternoon and I'm heading to a small college fb game with John and Eric on the radio at a road game

Harvest is beautiful...but I prefer emergence, in May. The soil is dark and moist, and if you look across the slopes, you see a faint emerald shimmer. Couple that with a brilliant blue sky...ahhhh, gorgeous!

Of course there's no John & Eric on the radio, but ya can't have everything!

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Wanted to give a shout out to the Finger Lakes region in upstate New York. Family took a vacation to NYC when I was in high school to see family and we camped all the way through from Iowa to New York.

Another good stop on that trip was Canada side Lake Erie. Beautiful scenery at both spots.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Oh hell yes.

I'll go out and ride in the tractor to listen to John & Eric at least once a year, even if the game is on TV. Reminds me of listening to Pete and Eric as a kid.

Iowa harvest is a really special time of year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Vieques for me. Quiet little island off the coast of Puerto Rico. I think the secret is out now and it's become a destination for beach weddings and the like, but five years ago it was paradise in terms of weather and population.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm a huge fan of the Boundary Waters. This will be my 3rd summer up there working with the USFS and the BSA.

This is one of my favorite shots, off of Warrior Hill in Lac La Croix.

View attachment 26574
The Boundary Waters are amazing!
Been up there a few times and it never disappoints, both fishing and relaxation.

Love portaging and conoeing on lakes where you can see 30 feet down and drink water straight from the lake and it tastes better than any bottled water.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was in Australia in college. We were in Queensland near some small town on the coast. From our lodge we walked a few clicks to the coastline in the dark. You could see zero manmade lights, just the moon and the stars. Couldn't hear any traffic or people, just the waves. Beautiful.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte

Agreed. I have been all over the US as well and I live in an amazing state but there is nothing like the Northwoods in the Summer...fishing, boating, golfing, drinking and relaxing. That is my idea of serenity. 70 days until I am there again...

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I was in Australia in college. We were in Queensland near some small town on the coast. From our lodge we walked a few clicks to the coastline in the dark. You could see zero manmade lights, just the moon and the stars. Couldn't hear any traffic or people, just the waves. Beautiful.

That's what the night sky was like on the ranch. Hubby grew up in KS & Iowa...the first time I took him to the Hill Country is the first time he realized how really really big the Milky Way is. There's too much ambient light in Iowa to see it completely...even in the rural areas...

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
A couple pictures I took of Boquete Panama. It is up in the mountains and is breath taking. I want to go back so damn bad.

Boqeute1.jpg

Boquete2.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Got to agree with St. John USVI

Love the Appalachians, especially the OTBT winding roads. Drove through there one time in my Mustang 5.0 with the top down on a beautiful spring day and it felt like the world was a perfect place.

I also have to put in a plug for the South Island of New Zealand. Soooo beautiful and unspoiled. We were driving along this huge beautiful lake and it just felt so perfect but something was off. Then it hit me. NO houses, cottages or development AT ALL.

Also, a special beach in Western Australia where we spent a perfect day with no one else the whole day to show up and spoil the "we are the only people on Earth right now" vibe. Near Cape Naturaliste west of Busselton.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Eiseman Hut north of Vail. It's the highest hut in the 10th Mountain System. It is absolutely beautiful in the winter, and there was already 5 feet of snow up there when I was there in December. Part of what makes it my favorite is that is terribly difficult to get to -- it's a 7 mile snowshoe/skin in and 3,000 feet up. When you get there and crank the wood stove up, and look down at Vail it is incredible. I'm not a photographer, but here are some pics I took with my Iphone 4.
photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 1.JPG

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Got to agree with St. John USVI

Love the Appalachians, especially the OTBT winding roads. Drove through there one time in my Mustang 5.0 with the top down on a beautiful spring day and it felt like the world was a perfect place.

I also have to put in a plug for the South Island of New Zealand. Soooo beautiful and unspoiled. We were driving along this huge beautiful lake and it just felt so perfect but something was off. Then it hit me. NO houses, cottages or development AT ALL.

Also, a special beach in Western Australia where we spent a perfect day with no one else the whole day to show up and spoil the "we are the only people on Earth right now" vibe. Near Cape Naturaliste west of Busselton.

We had an experience of unspoiled, all to ourselves (our small group) in Alaska. We went on a kayaking trip down College Fjord in Prince William Sound. The only way you could get to the places we camped was by boat, and occasionally seaplane. There were about 18 of us...it was a trip I will NEVER forget.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I haven't made it to Europe yet, so I'm going to keep it in the US. I loved Savannah, GA - just a beautiful place, lots of history and fun things to see, nice weather in February. I liked it even better than Alaska, San Fran, the east and west coast.