Carlos O'Kellys is Closing!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Casa Las Glorias in Cedar Rapids. Forget about Carlos.
I have never had that but have driven past it many times. I may have to try it now. Thanks for the suggestion! I have been to Adelita's which isn't too far away from Casa Las Glorias and I thought Adelita's was a close second to El Azteca for my favorite mexican restaurant.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Is it a spice thing? I like the food at both, but Somerset is spicier (my tolerance died the last two years), but the customer service/friendliness is hugely better at Dayton.

I like spicy, so that wouldn't matter to me. The customer service and friendliness are more than adequate for me at Somerset, I don't really notice a huge difference - but the Dayton one seems so cramped and dirty in comparison. Way too many tables in an old Happy Chef.

You have just failed at the Internet.

Not even a little. If you did a poll, I'd bet big money that most people like the Somerset one better than Dayton. :)

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Taco Tico in Fort Dodge (the only thing in that town worth a ****) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> El Azteca >>>>>>>>>>>>> Carlos O'Kelly's
Tico is a great FAST FOOD mexican restaurant but when it comes to bring authentic, it's only Tex Mex. Lomitas in Fort Dodge will have you covered for Authentic Mexican.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not even a little. If you did a poll, I'd bet big money that most people like the Somerset one better than Dayton. :)
The people that matter anyways.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I like spicy, so that wouldn't matter to me. The customer service and friendliness are more than adequate for me at Somerset, I don't really notice a huge difference - but the Dayton one seems so cramped and dirty in comparison. Way too many tables in an old Happy Chef.

Somerset does look better! With the new addition on Dayton it's a bit better. Somerset is decorated more upscale.

Last edited:

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
6 pages on Carlos O'Kellys! Wow! While I'm here, I do think it'd be nice if the north side of Lincoln Way east of Grand underwent some remodeling with LJS and COK going out of business...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
6 pages on Carlos O'Kellys! Wow! While I'm here, I do think it'd be nice if the north side of Lincoln Way east of Grand underwent some remodeling with LJS and COK going out of business...

I would love a new locally-owned restaurant (the dream would be for O'Malleys to return), but I've always been shocked that places like Olive Garden, Outback, and Granite City don't come to Ames. I would think they'd do remarkably well.

My husband and I have discussed how it could be really fun to have a gourmet grilled cheese or hot dog place in a college town, though. I would think it would be a cheap enough price point for students to clean up, but also a great fast business lunch.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I would love a new locally-owned restaurant (the dream would be for O'Malleys to return), but I've always been shocked that places like Olive Garden, Outback, and Granite City don't come to Ames. I would think they'd do remarkably well.

My husband and I have discussed how it could be really fun to have a gourmet grilled cheese or hot dog place in a college town, though. I would think it would be a cheap enough price point for students to clean up, but also a great fast business lunch.

Olive Garden wanted to come to Ames, (right next to Texas Roadhouse) but the cost of getting the lot out of the floodplain was just too much. It would have been their most expensive location in the entire midwest.

I would love me some Outback...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Too bad no Superdawgs for business lunch.:laugh:

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I went to El Azteca once, it was good but didn't seem to live up to the hype. I prefer La Fuente and Cazador. Maybe I need to give it another chance

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
There is so much wrong in this thread. Cazador is the best mexican food in Ames.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Olive Garden wanted to come to Ames, (right next to Texas Roadhouse) but the cost of getting the lot out of the floodplain was just too much. It would have been their most expensive location in the entire midwest.

I would love me some Outback...

Thats why some wholesale redevelopment of the grand to duff area along lincoln way might make sense. It would take some vision by the city and some run-down businesses that are there might not like it so much, but that whole area between grand and duff could really use a refresh, and it has a high enough traffic count you'd have to think quality businesses could thrive there. Right now quality businesses dont locate there, probably because they dont want to drop a quality new building in the middle of a bunch of fairly run-down ones.

Johnston is doing something with the merle hay corridor north of 35/80, wanting to redevelop that stretch as its a major gateway to the city yet its full of run down buildings like the old north end diner and hotel behind it. Theyve laid out a master plan for what they want that area to be. Maybe Ames should look at something similar.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
In addition to El Azteca being good, Cazador in west Ames seems to be greatly improved since re-opening.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
That was truly a mystery. It was seemingly a worse location than the Twin Peaks location (pre-Twin Peaks...amazing what Peaks will do for a business). Nothing worked in that spot before.
Funny story. I was in the car with my wife and in-laws and we were contemplating places to eat. I jokingly said "I heard Twin Peaks is good." to get a rise out of my wife. Well, my father-in-law overheard me (and didn't realize I was being sarcastic) and a few days later was looking for a place to go for lunch & remembered I had said something about Twin Peaks. He ended up going to lunch there by himself. Crazy thing is, though, he ran into one of his son's friends from Iowa State that he hadn't seen in YEARS, so it must have been destiny, haha! That story is always good for a few laughs at family gatherings.

Help Support Us

Become a patron