Monte Morris Feature in ISD

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Anyone ambitious enough to find a video of the play the article talks about? "In midair Morris caught the ball. Then, without touching the court, he contorted his body and delivered a dime across the court to where only his streaking teammate could catch it". Would love to see it.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I've been saying it most of the season but our offense has only really looked good in Big 12 when Monte is in there running the show. The guy just knows basketball and some of his assist are pretty crazy, plays I don't even see that are open while I'm watching but he does and it leads to easy baskets. More so, Monte has been a fantastic defender which is hard for a freshman to do! Proud to have him as a cyclone. Sadly and selfishly, I kinda doubt he is a 4 year player here. He's breaking records as a freshman. If he puts more weight on and continues to work on his jumper he'll be heading to the NBA.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been saying it most of the season but our offense has only really looked good in Big 12 when Monte is in there running the show. The guy just knows basketball and some of his assist are pretty crazy, plays I don't even see that are open while I'm watching but he does and it leads to easy baskets. More so, Monte has been a fantastic defender which is hard for a freshman to do! Proud to have him as a cyclone. Sadly and selfishly, I kinda doubt he is a 4 year player here. He's breaking records as a freshman. If he puts more weight on and continues to work on his jumper he'll be heading to the NBA.

I'd be a bit surprised if he leaves early. He's not a prep school kid and he's young for his class. He'll only be 21 on draft day if he stays all 4 years. He and Kane both have June birthdays... 6 years apart!

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'd be a bit surprised if he leaves early. He's not a prep school kid and he's young for his class. He'll only be 21 on draft day if he stays all 4 years. He and Kane both have June birthdays... 6 years apart!

That youth only makes him more valuable to NBA teams, but I think he stays at least 3 years and probably 4.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
Great read! Even when we were recruiting Man Man I knew there was something special about him. I felt like he was underrated and a complete steal and he's really proving that. It's great to see Fred compiling leaders and winners on this team.

I have that same feeling about Custer as I had Monte. Those two are going to be special in the back court. And when I say special I mean potentially the best 1-2 punch at the PG spot in the nation.. And sooner rather than later. They know how to lead a team to W's and they believe in themselves.

I also think people are going to be surprised at how often these two are on the court together at the same time next year.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Anyone ambitious enough to find a video of the play the article talks about? "In midair Morris caught the ball. Then, without touching the court, he contorted his body and delivered a dime across the court to where only his streaking teammate could catch it". Would love to see it.

A challenge that is up my alley! I took about 45 minutes to poke around and finally found it buried in a video recap of the 2013 rematch of Flint Beecher and Detroit Consortium. The play quoted above was in the 2012 game and can be seen in the linked video at the 19 second mark. Video Landing Page - ABC 12

Also, here's a picture of the game winning shot. The crowd reactions are always funny. http://media.mlive.com/flint-journal/photo/2012/03/-615dce17ad0469b0.JPG

I also attached a screenshot of the pivotal pass taken from the video above.

Game winning assist.png

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Good article, love what Morris has done. He was in over his head defensively against Staten the other night (just like every other PG in the big 12 this year) but other than that he has held his own as a true frosh in the toughest conference in basketball. His development is also a great credit Fred, the way he handled his PT allowed him build his confidence early in the season and is a big part of the game slowing down for MM, every game he shows improvement in some facet.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have stood up for Monte since the beginning, never doubted him once. I think he is going to be a bigger recruit for us than anyone named Vaughn ever would have been. Monte has the mentality to be a great point guard. He also very rarely gets himself into a position where he will get injured. Let us hope this holds up, because we need him healthy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Good article, love what Morris has done. He was in over his head defensively against Staten the other night (just like every other PG in the big 12 this year) but other than that he has held his own as a true frosh in the toughest conference in basketball. His development is also a great credit Fred, the way he handled his PT allowed him build his confidence early in the season and is a big part of the game slowing down for MM, every game he shows improvement in some facet.
Staten actually had an off night. Dil(d)o killed us by hitting 5 of 7 threes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron