KU's new basketball dorm plan, $17.5mil

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
KU plans a $17.5 million apartment complex that would house basketball players - KansasCity.com

LAWRENCE — The cost of living among college basketball’s elite continues to rise.
The latest evidence: The University of Kansas is in the planning stages of a $17.5 million apartment project that would house as many as 32 men’s and women’s basketball players. The complex, south of Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Drive, is scheduled to open for the 2016-17 school year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think that this stuff is ridiculous and that making these things big enough to house an equal number of non-athletes isn't in any way an "out" when it comes to giving athletes stuff that non-athletes don't get.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Probably includes flat screens in every room and a complimentary Escalade for each unit.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Can we end the charade and just start paying these guys?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

They aren't going to pay enough to get rid of this stuff. Honestly, I'm a little surprised this stuff hasn't been done already. This is a way for the actual college to "pay" players. Normally the college isn't even involved.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Yeah this is on par with unlv/ findlay using booster money to house potential recruits. Now we know how KU will spend their new conference football money. Pretty hard to spend that much on basketball. Don't they already spend like 12 times more per player than ISU on basketball annually. I can see this becoming the norm if players don't get more walking cash.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Say good-bye to ISU's relevance in anything then. You think the blue bloods get first pick of the recruits now, wait until they can start paying them whatever they want to. No way could we keep up.

We need a sanctioning body that's willing to step in and call foul every once in a while. I think the limits on stuff like this should be based on student population, not just making an equal number available to the general pop.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Yawn, it is just Bill Self's way of fencing his boys in to keep them out of jail. You cannot expect the one and done guys to actually go to class or spend time in front of a book.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Yeah, keeping all the players in one place worked out well for Nebraska and Oklahoma football a decade ago, didn't it?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No Escalade, that would be an improper benefit. They will have personal assistants that have been provided Escalades only to use when driving the player.

Hence the equal number of non athlete students. Each player has a live-in paid assistant. That worked well for Manziel.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I assumed they had these luxury living units for decades and it's where Big 12 officials stay in Lawrence.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, keeping all the players in one place worked out well for Nebraska and Oklahoma football a decade ago, didn't it?

My knee jerk reaction was this and that things like this just move things toward paying players or legal action against the NCAA.

When people wonder why KU football struggles or why Nebraska basketball is zero for all time in the NCAA tournament: this.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Say good-bye to ISU's relevance in anything then. You think the blue bloods get first pick of the recruits now, wait until they can start paying them whatever they want to. No way could we keep up.

We need a sanctioning body that's willing to step in and call foul every once in a while. I think the limits on stuff like this should be based on student population, not just making an equal number available to the general pop.

Well the current system is doing a great job of having recruits not pick the blue-bloods (sarcasm).

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is laughable.

To comply with NCAA rules, KU athletics states in its internal student-athlete housing policy that “student-athletes may not receive any special services or material amenities that are not provided to all students on an equitable basis.” So the new apartment building would be open to 34 non-athletes.

Read more here: KU plans a $17.5 million apartment complex that would house basketball players - KansasCity.com

So a Basketball player has a 100% chance of living in this 17.5 million dollar place, whereas an undergrad has a .0018% chance of living there. Seems pretty equal here, not offering ANYTHING special there. ******* NCAA

*based on enrollment of 19,169 from Us News Best Colleges

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Weis has to be ******. They still play in a ****** stadium with a track around it being a laughing stock while they spend 17+ million on an already successful basketball program.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
This is the first I have heard of this sort of thing, but according to the article, it isn't entirely new. How widespread is this stuff?

Housing for athletes at big-time programs has become more and more lavish. In 2012, the University of Kentucky built the Wildcat Coal Lodge, a $7 million, privately-funded dormitory designed to house the school’s basketball players.

The nation’s top football programs are in the housing game as well. In the last year, Auburn built a $51 million residence hall designed to house close to 415 students, including the school’s football players.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
To comply with NCAA rules, KU athletics states in its internal student-athlete housing policy that “student-athletes may not receive any special services or material amenities that are not provided to all students on an equitable basis.” So the new apartment building would be open to 34 non-athletes.

Read more here: KU plans a $17.5 million apartment complex that would house basketball players - KansasCity.com
and ALL 34 non-athletes happen to be single, good looking women. Hmm, funny how that worked out...

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
sumbich...I was just starting to think with the Bergstrom/Sukup/FOF/etc. we were getting to the point of not having a huge gap for athlete experience...there's nothing bigger than being taken care of in style at "home" outside of being taken care of during team activities....

Admittedly, it's something we've known/are used to, but just started hoping it could change. Not the end of the world, but kind of a bummer.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This is laughable.

So a Basketball player has a 100% chance of living in this 17.5 million dollar place, whereas an undergrad has a .0018% chance of living there. Seems pretty equal here, not offering ANYTHING special there. ******* NCAA

*based on enrollment of 19,169 from Us News Best Colleges

At the same time, the athletes' scholarships will cover housing there. For the students, I bet a place like this will have an exorbitant cost.

Total sham.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron