KU's new basketball dorm plan, $17.5mil

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bill Self finds a $17.5 million apartment complex for his players ok.

Bill Self finds a college graduate wanting to play somewhere else without sitting a year not ok.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
KU plans a $17.5 million apartment complex that would house basketball players - KansasCity.com

LAWRENCE — The cost of living among college basketball’s elite continues to rise.
The latest evidence: The University of Kansas is in the planning stages of a $17.5 million apartment project that would house as many as 32 men’s and women’s basketball players. The complex, south of Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Drive, is scheduled to open for the 2016-17 school year.

The article says:
To comply with NCAA rules, KU athletics states in its internal student-athlete housing policy that “student-athletes may not receive any special services or material amenities that are not provided to all students on an equitable basis.” So the new apartment building would be open to 34 non-athletes.

How does opening the apartment building to 34 non-students comply with the "provided to all students on an equitable basis" statement in their policy?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What I find wrong with this, that the NCAA will need to look into.

- To start, every room MUST have furnishings, not just some (the players) rooms.

- Rent needs to be the same for everyone. This includes walk-ons.

- If players utilities are paid for, other tenants utilities must be paid for.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The article says:
To comply with NCAA rules, KU athletics states in its internal student-athlete housing policy that “student-athletes may not receive any special services or material amenities that are not provided to all students on an equitable basis.” So the new apartment building would be open to 34 non-athletes.

How does opening the apartment building to 34 non-students comply with the "provided to all students on an equitable basis" statement in their policy?

What they will do is "auction" these 34 openings off, which is disgusting, but will get done. And I'm sure they will pay this off in 10-15 years. And the "auction" won't include rent.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
How many windows will there be in the complex, and can you open them? My BB gun is hungry to reach out and touch some co-eds next time we roll through Lawrence.

Sincerely,

Markieff Morris

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The article says:
To comply with NCAA rules, KU athletics states in its internal student-athlete housing policy that “student-athletes may not receive any special services or material amenities that are not provided to all students on an equitable basis.â€￾ So the new apartment building would be open to 34 non-athletes.

The water boy is probably the only one who will get a room that is non athletic. Looks like Boone and UT and OU will need to do the same. Sorry, WVU, you have couches and outhouses for rooms.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Any reasonable person would recognize this as a special benefit. Making half of the space available to non athletes may be a loophole KU is exploiting, but there is no denying they are providing special benefits. Sadly the NCAA will do nothing to prevent this.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Bill Self finds a $17.5 million apartment complex for his players ok.

Bill Self finds a college graduate wanting to play somewhere else without sitting a year not ok.
Yep. It is laughable. He is just mad the one he got is not as good (Black).

Say good-bye to ISU's relevance in anything then. You think the blue bloods get first pick of the recruits now, wait until they can start paying them whatever they want to. No way could we keep up.
I disagree. The bluebloods, regardless of pay or not, will have an advantage. However, I doubt the bluebloods even want players to be paid. As it is now, tradition and exposure reign supreme in recruiting. Things that take years to develop. The indirect paying of players via the arms race is more expensive than flat out paying a guy, which is another advantage the bluebloods enjoy. That takes a Boone Pickens or Phil Knight booster is you are not a blueblood to compete.

In being allowed to pay players, all that tradition and exposure now becomes indirect. Bluebloods still have more money, but why would a KU want to allow an Alabama to come in and offer too much for what would be a sub at KU? Or how about Rutgers with their BIG paycheck outbidding UConn or Louisville for a guy? As it is now, there is little besides playing time to convince KU's 10th man to play for them. I would love for the NCAA to go to a salary cap based system. ISU would actually get more top recruits that way.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What they will do is "auction" these 34 openings off, which is disgusting, but will get done. And I'm sure they will pay this off in 10-15 years. And the "auction" won't include rent.

Auction? To the highest bidder? Or lottery/raffle?

Wonder if there are any regulations about eligibility that would eliminate most of the student body? Hard to imagine that they would let just anyone in there . . . like those who would love to provide pot (or a baby) to a rich-to-be future NBA player.

JayhawkScott

Nov 13, 2010
Seattle
Any reasonable person would recognize this as a special benefit. Making half of the space available to non athletes may be a loophole KU is exploiting, but there is no denying they are providing special benefits. Sadly the NCAA will do nothing to prevent this.

Of course they won't prevent it. Schools are already doing it. Why do you think KU had to jump in? If Kentucky is going to get away with it why shouldn't we do the same? Besides, we already had Jayhawk Towers for years and I don't see any of you complaining about that. It's not something new.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
During an interview on sports radio 810, Bill Self expressed concerns that some of this money might come from their "referee fund"

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Auction? To the highest bidder? Or lottery/raffle?

Wonder if there are any regulations about eligibility that would eliminate most of the student body? Hard to imagine that they would let just anyone in there . . . like those who would love to provide pot (or a baby) to a rich-to-be future NBA player.
They might do it as a housing lottery. Most of the time schools sort it by year, but no one says ku has to sort it that way.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Each pair of roommates gets to live in a half million dollar mansion.....in lawrence, kansas. Worth 2.5 mil in chicago or on the coasts. Are they still considered amateur?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
They seem to be for it on Phog, which is fine. It's just funny to imagine their reaction if this was Kentucky or Mizzou instead of them

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Right, but this will just take us back to the days similar to unlimited scholarships. Texas will go ahead and pay players they would have normally not given a scholarship to, more than other schools can, just to keep them away from any other school. At least now there are scholarship limits, so you've at least got a chance once the blue-bloods give out all their shollies.

Not saying that everything right now is the way it should be, but open the door to pay for play and there are really only a handful of schools that can participate in that market. ISU certainly isn't one of them.

So... it would be no different from how it is now? Even if players were paid, chances are there would be some rules on the maximums they could be paid, it wouldn't just be a free-for-all. In which case, the top athletes would still get illegal money on the side.

The only way to eliminate these side deals and handing out money under the table... is to eliminate recruiting. That's the cause of all this. You'd have to turn college basketball and football into their own full-blown athletic leagues with a draft, a la baseball. Then there's no money under the table because the player isn't the one making the decision on where he/she goes. But I don't see that happening ANY time soon, if ever.

Now, whether players get paid or not.. whatever.. but at the very least players should be allowed to market themselves. Get a cut of merchandise sold, sell autographs, do commercials, the works. It's really silly that they can't, and instead the NCAA gets to pocket all that money because, you know, they're "amateurs". What a load of crap.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron