Speed camera violation

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Driving the entire length of I-235 at the speed limit takes about 16 minutes, at 70 mph about 13 minutes. I guessing very few drive the entire length of I-235 because it would be quicker to take 35/80, so time savings for most trips would be on the order of 1 or 2 minutes.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's just a perfect example of why these things are worthless. There is no way the speed limit should be 35 on this stretch of road.

Look at this

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...1A!2e0!5m2!1sr2gKM_D34q5Acm9q61Z41A!2e0&fid=5

How does this make cameras worthless? It seems to me that you have an issue with the law set, not the method of how they catch you breaking that law.

And it appears that is a residential area. How fast do you want to be able to go?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How does this make cameras worthless? It seems to me that you have an issue with the law set, not the method of how they catch you breaking that law.

And it appears that is a residential area. How fast do you want to be able to go?

Looks like a rural area with houses far off the road. Do you really think this looks like an area where people should go 35?

You're right though, the speed limit in this area has nothing to do with why I hate the cameras. One of the main reasons I hate the cameras is because they ticket the owner of the car not necessarily the driver. This makes absolutely zero sense. I'm also against them because they are about safety yet they are not always used for safety. For example, why are these cameras moved every day? If it's about safety lets focus on the one area that is the most dangerous in Polk county and let it sit there. They don't do this because it's really all about revenue. If for every camera that went up 2 or 3 police officers were fired, you would see zero cameras. If this is doing the job of the police officers and crime hasn't risen, lets see some layoffs.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe they move them because the idea is to reduce the amount of excessive speeding (>10 mph) everywhere rather than in just one location.

I'm a speeder, I've had more tickets than I care to remember. But I'm not going to ***** about how I got caught. If I speed I better be man enough to accept the consequences.

Reactions: ISU4ME

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Amazing how many people I see going over 71 mph through that stretch. There must be a lot of tickets issued each day.

This truly is amazing. I never go more than 5mph over the speed limit on interstates and it is just mind boggling how in an area pretty much everyone understands has speed cameras (they have signs yo) they can't keep it under 71 mph?!?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think they should give tickets to everyone that goes 1mph over the limit. Why is there a 10mph buffer? Why not just put electronics in every car that limits your speed based on GPS? Why not put speed cameras on the interstate that get people for going too slow, even in bad weather conditions?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's just a perfect example of why these things are worthless. There is no way the speed limit should be 35 on this stretch of road.

Look at this

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...1A!2e0!5m2!1sr2gKM_D34q5Acm9q61Z41A!2e0&fid=5

Looks like a rural area with houses far off the road. Do you really think this looks like an area where people should go 35?

You're right though, the speed limit in this area has nothing to do with why I hate the cameras. One of the main reasons I hate the cameras is because they ticket the owner of the car not necessarily the driver. This makes absolutely zero sense. I'm also against them because they are about safety yet they are not always used for safety. For example, why are these cameras moved every day? If it's about safety lets focus on the one area that is the most dangerous in Polk county and let it sit there. They don't do this because it's really all about revenue. If for every camera that went up 2 or 3 police officers were fired, you would see zero cameras. If this is doing the job of the police officers and crime hasn't risen, lets see some layoffs.

If the owner of the vehicle was not operating it at the time, they can report the true operator and the ticket will be issued to them. I also haven't heard a response as to why this is different than parking tickets.

Perhaps this isn't that crime has risen, it's just that there previously wasn't the resources to catch all crimes being committed. Thus why there seems to be an attitude of people that think it is their right to drive however fast they want without getting caught. Now that they are issuing tickets, people act like these are new laws.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think they should give tickets to everyone that goes 1mph over the limit. Why is there a 10mph buffer? Why not just put electronics in every car that limits your speed based on GPS? Why not put speed cameras on the interstate that get people for going too slow, even in bad weather conditions?

derp.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think they should give tickets to everyone that goes 1mph over the limit. Why is there a 10mph buffer?
My guess, administrative costs. You could argue calibration issues with that, so everything would be tied up in court.

Why not just put electronics in every car that limits your speed based on GPS?
Because they couldn't make money off of you then. And lobbyists. It wouldn't surprise me if this has been brought up before by someone who actually cared about public safety. Only to be beaten down by the guy who said, "What about all that revenue we get from speeding tickets?"

Why not put speed cameras on the interstate that get people for going too slow, even in bad weather conditions?
Being in Iowa, I'm not surprised you run into this regularly, but my guess is that the administrative costs and overhead aren't worth the revenue. Theoretically though, they could issue these tickets with the cameras that pick you up for speeding.

And yes, I did detect the sarcasm in your post. Just thought I'd add to it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If the owner of the vehicle was not operating it at the time, they can report the true operator and the ticket will be issued to them. I also haven't heard a response as to why this is different than parking tickets.

As far as parking tickets, I think they should be issued to the person who actually committed the act, so yes I have a problem with those as well. If you can report the true operator and the ticket will be issued to them what is stopping me from saying that Clonehomer was the one who was speeding in my car? How about I just say John Doe was driving and I don't have their address? What if I borrowed my car to a homeless dude but I never caught his name?

So if I'm driving a rental car then Hertz should be on the hook for the speeding ticket?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So if I'm driving a rental car then Hertz should be on the hook for the speeding ticket?
Part of that rental agreement you sign puts you on the hook but nice try.

I can't take anyone who "borrowed" something to someone else seriously. I just can't.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Part of that rental agreement you sign puts you on the hook but nice try.

I can't take anyone who "borrowed" something to someone else seriously. I just can't.

Yep. I got a bill from Enterprise after a vacation in the Bay Area when I was crossing the Bay Bridge. I knew there was a toll but I didn't have any cash on me and I wasn't aware they actually take card so I just jumped into the pass through lane. Bill was only $8.00 so I'm assuming rental car companies must have some sort of agreement with the local toll authorities.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I just received two in the last week from the camera on I235!! How did i not know these were there? Do I really have to pay these? Anyone have any luck fighting/not paying?

signs saying speed cameras enforced is your tip to slow down, go ahead and take time off work to fight them in court and lose or you can not pay them....until your registration is due and then pay them then

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron