Post game analysis-this team

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think the starting lineup will be Long, Kane, Thomas, Ejim, Niang for Byu. I have no particular reasoning for it other than I feel Fred has always liked going small and fast with more shooting and replacing Thomas or Long with Hogue would hurt that (i know Thomas didn't have much of a game, but I'm assuming Fred still think he has a better shooting ability than Hogue) and also depth with our bigs was our problem and being able to bring in hogue to spell Niang (who's gotten into foul trouble a lot so far this season) and Ejim would be more helpful. Just a completely uneducated guess though.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Who cares if he has 0 assists if he has 14 points (or whatever he had)? You shouldn't expect this team to play like last season. Most people are aware that this team wouldn't have the 3 point firepower last season had. This team has guys that are better off the dribble.

I am now a Naz believer! I had my doubts about his game, but he looks very good. What a job by him and the coaching staff to have him playing at this level already. It will be tough to keep all of our guys down at the same time.

I expect the starting lineup to be

Kane
Thomas
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

Naz is a team guy. He will have no problem coming off the bench. I just hope he stays in the groove he's in now.

With the way Naz is shooting, I don't know how you put Thomas in front of him. His defense is a liability. Would rather have Thomas and Morris first off the bench.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think the starting lineup will be Long, Kane, Thomas, Ejim, Niang for Byu. I have no particular reasoning for it other than I feel Fred has always liked going small and fast with more shooting and replacing Thomas or Long with Hogue would hurt that (i know Thomas didn't have much of a game, but I'm assuming Fred still think he has a better shooting ability than Hogue) and also depth with our bigs was our problem and being able to bring in hogue to spell Niang (who's gotten into foul trouble a lot so far this season) and Ejim would be more helpful. Just a completely uneducated guess though.

Does not BYU have that ball hog shooter still? Whoever plays good chase D will get a lot of minutes on him.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This team has the natural hustle and toughness that past teams may have lacked on a little.

I agree. This team has a little Floyd/LE in them and it's been a while since we've had that here.

These guys will battle on the boards and play solid enough D to win a lot of games.

When their shots are falling they'll be very hard to beat. When they aren't hitting outside shots they'll still be tough enough to win games IMO

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
A couple thoughts on the game:

Thank goodness Ejim is a quick healer

Love the games Naz and Hogue played. Naz shot the ball with a TON of confidence. He was absolutely sure he was making every shot he took, and I loved it. He also played really good D

Finally, Fred wanted this game. He really really wanted this game. You can tell from several things, primarily that Ejim played 28 minutes and the 7-man rotation. This wasn't "just another preseason" game.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Finally, Fred wanted this game. He really really wanted this game. You can tell from several things, primarily that Ejim played 28 minutes and the 7-man rotation. This wasn't "just another preseason" game.

A program changer in some respects. Big win against a strong program on a national stage. It keeps building the ISU brand that Fred has been building. How can it not help recruiting? Yeah, I agree Fred really wanted this one!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another positive: After a defensive board, players were looking for an immediate outlet pass. It led to a few careless turnovers (either with bad passes or rushing too much), but you can sense they're being groomed for securing the boards and creating transitions.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hogue played a good game but he needs to know that his role on this team is not 3 pt shooter.
The guy has some serious grit though. You could tell that the Mich guys were sick of getting knocked around.

The physicality of the team jumped out at me, specifically Hogue, Melvin and Kane. This is the most physical team since Eustachy was here. I think this will serve us well in the ugly games vs. KSU and WVU. The other thing that stood out is even when we were really sloppy with the ball in the 1st half nobody got rattled, nobody pressed. I love the mental toughness shown so far by this team.

I think this team is full of mismatches - A big physical guy like Kane playing the 1 with bigs that can shoot and are comfortable on the perimeter. I think these mismatches will make up for our blemishes.

Naz's start and improvement are unbelievable. He struck me as a guy that would be a nice role player that might develop into an B12 honorable mention type guy as a senior. His shot, not just the result, looks drastically different from last year. At this point you have to start him and bring MT off the bench.

Having Ejim fully back and as a known part of the game plan should also help Georges. He may be the only one that has been pressing a bit. It was great to see him come back from a rough start when it mattered the most. I expect a much improved game from him vs. BYU. We'll need it. That will really be a test for this team. High scoring team in a hostile environment on a quick turnaround. If we win that I'm in no-holds barred intravenous kool-aid mode.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Was impressed with how the team kept it together in tense moments, and battled back when Michigan would try to go on a run. Also, it's always good if you have 4 guys in double figures for scoring outside of a big night for one player.

I like how the things that need to be improved, should be pretty easy to improve. Some of those turnovers were just plain careless. Same with some things on defense. But it's November, and they're correctable and I think this team seems to buy into what they need to do.

I noticed McGeary lending a hand to Ejim when they both came in for the first time this season. I don't know how good Michigan actually is, but I was impressed with the way they play, and how the game stayed clean; I was actually to a point where I wouldn't have been mad if ISU didn't win, because it was obvious that they should have some success this year, and Michigan appears to be a nice team. VERY fun game to watch!

I really like Michigan's coach and style of play. They are a great team to watch. I noticed this last year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
In Fred's tenure so far - it's taken almost the entire non-conference season for the team to really gel and play up to potential. This season seems different.

If is just scratching the surface like past seasons - whoa damn.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Plus, think of all the recruiting we're still doing in Michigan. You think it's a little easier for Coach Mann to walk into any HS in MI with that ISU shirt on now? You bet!

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Speaking of post game...............
FYI I just listened to the entire broadcast of the game, pregame and post game albeit from the Michigan perspective.
If you go to mgoblue.com I think you can still hear the game. Some very interesting comments made toward the end of course. (Four hours of radio.)

GO CYCLONES

Reactions: Wesley

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I agree. This team has a little Floyd/LE in them and it's been a while since we've had that here.

These guys will battle on the boards and play solid enough D to win a lot of games.

When their shots are falling they'll be very hard to beat. When they aren't hitting outside shots they'll still be tough enough to win games IMO

This is how Doc Sadler teams played.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

IdahoCyclone

Feb 29, 2012
Don’t know what this win says about some of our players. Proud of the win, but looking forward I can’t help but think why SDW or anyone else didn’t play. Clearly other players are more skilled but are the guys on the bench that far behind? Win with what you got thats what we did, hopefully others can prove themselves before conference play. Theres plenty of teams in the big 12 that are better or equal to Michigan, we should get better though.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Speaking of post game...............
FYI I just listened to the entire broadcast of the game, pregame and post game albeit from the Michigan perspective.
If you go to mgoblue.com I think you can still hear the game. Some very interesting comments made toward the end of course. (Four hours of radio.)

GO CYCLONES
Care to elaborate?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Don’t know what this win says about some of our players. Proud of the win, but looking forward I can’t help but think why SDW or anyone else didn’t play. Clearly other players are more skilled but are the guys on the bench that far behind? Win with what you got thats what we did, hopefully others can prove themselves before conference play. Theres plenty of teams in the big 12 that are better or equal to Michigan, we should get better though.

Agreed that we will need one more guy off of the bench. However, Hogue and Kane and their ability to play/guard multiple positions makes our 7 man rotation almost work like an 8 as long as fouls aren't a factor.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
I'm a little bit surprised with the posts I saw. Thomas did fine. He was often matched up with Stauskas who was the 2nd best player on the court today (after Ejim). I could see Stauskas eventually being first team all Big10, if not this year then next. Loved his game! I've been impressed with Thomas's physicality overall.

Niang is the troubling person. Even when he came in game after long rests he lumbers, and does not get in a defensive stance. So when the ball gets swung to his man his first move is to crouch into position, then his second move is to move laterally (if the player drives). He picks up so many fouls for this. I know Fred runs a largely positive coaching style, but I wouldn't be surprised if he unleashes Doc on Niang. I am really worried about Niang being able to eventually guard and rebound for his position. Up to this point he can't and he gets too many props for the fanbase. I think he may be who he is from day 1 through his senior year, aka Bret Meyer (who like Georges I like, and root for, but he obviously did not develop into a late round NFL draft pick that many thought after his freshman season).

Ejim is the absolute man, and I said it from day 1, he's the star of the team, not Niang, and will end up battling Perry Ellis for 1st team all conference. Thank goodness he played in this game or we would have been killed on the glass. Hogue's rebounding is also a great sign.

Kane's controlled body drives were Baron Davis like at times. Fantastic. When he plays too fast he seems to make more mistakes. He's one of the guys where I almost don't want him barreling in on a fast break, but love his drives within the offensive set.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
With the way Naz is shooting, I don't know how you put Thomas in front of him. His defense is a liability. Would rather have Thomas and Morris first off the bench.

Totally agree. As long as it doesn't destroy Thomas's confidence, I think that he comes off the bench for the time being. Right now Naz is better than him at every aspect of the game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron