David Irving Arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't want to try to find any silver lining in this but I think this constitutes cause to fire Messsingham.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Damn the facts! Guilty before proven innocent! These comments happen every time any kid gets in trouble and it never ceases to be unintelligent and ridiculous!

Seriously? These athletes get more second chances than anyone on the planet. CPR can look at the situation and decide what to do with David (regardless of guilt or innocence). He could do nothing, he could suspend him for a few games, or he could kick him off the team. If kicked off the team I'm sure a schollie will be waiting somewhere else for him if he wants.

Sorry if I don't feel bad for these guys (not just David) who continually put themselves in bad situations.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
But there is no denying that these guys/gals are much more visible than the rest of the student body, especially when they do something wrong.
I agree with you Chris but a lot of people struggle with the "this kid is on scholarship and I pay for his way" mentality. That doesn't mean they shouldn't go thru college without mistakes because a lot of times it can make a person better.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I agree with you Chris but a lot of people struggle with the "this kid is on scholarship and I pay for his way" mentality. That doesn't mean they shouldn't go thru college without mistakes because a lot of times it can make a person better.

Lord knows it sure help me realize a few things.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Can we commit some sort of NCAA infraction by which this entire season will be permanetly erased from the record books and forever striken from my memory?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The post that you quoted seemed to be trying to justify these types of things. And you said that he could be on to something

I'm not justifying anything. I'm pointing out that when an athlete gets arrested, it is in the Des Moines Register. That's why it is so visible. Other students at Iowa State get arrested all of the time and nobody hears a thing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The fact that he was on the non-football injury list last Saturday and this came up last night makes me think something has been brewing. It's definitely a sequence of events that will require some explaining. You just hope the coaches didn't know something about the situation and could have somehow prevented last night's incident.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The fact that he was on the non-football injury list last Saturday and this came up last night makes me think something has been brewing. It's definitely a sequence of events that will require some explaining. You just hope the coaches didn't know something about the situation and could have somehow prevented last night's incident.
I'm not even sure how that makes sense.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He should be gone. Domestic abuse is not something that should be tolerated.

I love when people make ridiculous statements like this. Guilty until proven innocent, right? That's the American way.

What if she came at him first? A lot of the time, the first to call the police is the one who doesn't get the charges. I'd wait for this to sort out until condemning him.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
You could be onto something...I don't really know.

But there is no denying that these guys/gals are much more visible than the rest of the student body, especially when they do something wrong.

And when they do something right or even have the potential to do something right.

College athletes are given about a tenth of a million dollars in perks and typically all they need to do is be average in school and not get arrested (too often, in Albert Gary's case). I don't know how to put a dollar amount on the women, but it's a lot.

1/10th of a million to not get arrested in 4 years. I could do it.

If they don't like the microscope they're under, they don't have to play major college sports.

They have a choice in the matter.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I'm not justifying anything. I'm pointing out that when an athlete gets arrested, it is in the Des Moines Register. That's why it is so visible. Other students at Iowa State get arrested all of the time and nobody hears a thing.

They don't have to accept the free college and countless other perks.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not even sure how that makes sense.

To me, the non-football related injury list seems to be kind of a catchall where a guy is not playing and you don't really want to discuss why. For example, Johnathan Martin is currently on the non-football related injury list. My thought is that, perhaps, DI wasn't necessary hurt but was going through something that didn't allow him to play on Saturday. My fear is that whatever that something is was somehow related to the domestic incident and that the coaches could have possibly done more to help before things turned bad.