David Irving Arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And when they do something right or even have the potential to do something right.

College athletes are given about a tenth of a million dollars in perks and typically all they need to do is be average in school and not get arrested (too often, in Albert Gary's case). I don't know how to put a dollar amount on the women, but it's a lot.

1/10th of a million to not get arrested in 4 years. I could do it.

If they don't like the microscope they're under, they don't have to play major college sports.

They have a choice in the matter.
People making a lot more than a college athlete get arrested all the time. Getting paid doesn't magically change who you are.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A question to the "there's no excuse for domestic violence" crowd:

Do men have a right to defend themselves?

Because these charges sometimes get drawn up before the facts are fully known. There's a big difference between getting mad and smacking a woman to punish her and restraining someone who is attacking you. Yet both incidents can result in domestic abuse charges.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a mandatory arrest law in Story County for domestic incidents?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Seriously? These athletes get more second chances than anyone on the planet. CPR can look at the situation and decide what to do with David (regardless of guilt or innocence). He could do nothing, he could suspend him for a few games, or he could kick him off the team. If kicked off the team I'm sure a schollie will be waiting somewhere else for him if he wants.

Sorry if I don't feel bad for these guys (not just David) who continually put themselves in bad situations.

Did you copy and paste this from any number of other threads on this exact same topic.

Where do you live that second chances aren't pretty much par for the course for absolutely everyone? It has nothing to do with being an athlete, it's just how our society as a whole operates. Making blanket statements like this is pretty ridiculous.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a mandatory arrest law in Story County for domestic incidents?

Could be a departmental policy too.

If you're playing the odds, it's safer to just arrest someone at each domestic disturbance, in order to calm things down, and then either dismiss the charges or prosecute them after a more complete investigation.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
They don't have to accept the free college and countless other perks.

You weren't athletic enough to play college sports. We get it. Lots of the rest of us weren't either, but that doesn't make those who are the bad guys.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
The older I get the happier I am that these kids are under a microscope. They get chance, after chance, after chance as it is. Plus you know that if these things DIDN'T get out the coaches would sweep it under the rug 95% of the time, as they used to back in the day ****cough*****Lawerence Phillips*****cough******

They are NOT held to a higher standard, they are actually being held to a very low standard. If you can play a major college sport, you have the lowest standards set of any college student out there. Boohoo if you actually get called out for your terrible/illegal behavior.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
You weren't athletic enough to play college sports. We get it. Lots of the rest of us weren't either, but that doesn't make those who are the bad guys.

If they think they might get arrested and don't want it to be in the paper, they should turn down the scholarship and join the working world.

If they think it's so unfair that they're under a microscope, don't play.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
If they think they might get arrested and don't want it to be in the paper, they should turn down the scholarship and join the working world.

David Irving has never said it was unfair for him to be under the microscope., so you're putting words in his mouth.

As for the first part, you're actually in the minority of people who plan for bad things to happen. David Irving didn't sit there on signing day thinking he was going to be arrested in a few years.

Not only have your posts been unbearable to read for as long as I can remember, but your "points" are hardly worth taking seriously.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
This really has nothing to do with what they receive in scholarships, although for some people that fact may exacerbate it. If a walk on did something horrible they should be gone too.

As far as second chances, I am very much in favor of them, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences to one's actions. I've gotten second chances before, and I've also been punished for things I've done. I learned from both situations.

All in all, this situation sucks no matter what happened.

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
To me, the non-football related injury list seems to be kind of a catchall where a guy is not playing and you don't really want to discuss why. For example, Johnathan Martin is currently on the non-football related injury list. My thought is that, perhaps, DI wasn't necessary hurt but was going through something that didn't allow him to play on Saturday. My fear is that whatever that something is was somehow related to the domestic incident and that the coaches could have possibly done more to help before things turned bad.

I follow you, but I wouldn't put this on the coaches. He is an adult, and while the circumstances are unclear, he is still responsible for his actions. I hope his child and his girl are okay, and I hope this situation is not as severe as some think.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This is just so everyone knows. If you respond to someone's post with just "LOL" nothing you post will ever be taken seriously.

Ok? We good? Carry on.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

This may very well be the dumbest thing I have ever read, anywhere. Oh, now I get it Doc, you think you ARE GOD. My mistake. Go away.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Could be a departmental policy too.

If you're playing the odds, it's safer to just arrest someone at each domestic disturbance, in order to calm things down, and then either dismiss the charges or prosecute them after a more complete investigation.

When I interned for the Des Moines Public Defender's Office I helped alot with the domestic docket. In so many of the cases the police likely could have arrested both parties to the dispute, but I will let you guess which side was arrested the overwhelming majority of the time...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I follow you, but I wouldn't put this on the coaches. He is an adult, and while the circumstances are unclear, he is still responsible for his actions. I hope his child and his girl are okay, and I hope this situation is not as severe as some think.

I'm not trying to put anything on the coaches. In so many of these cases though coaches do come under scrutiny for what they knew, and when they knew it. Just look at what is going on at FSU. The coaches are being highly questioned on whether they knew Winston was being investigated, and if so, whether they let him play knowing he was being investigated.

I just hope if the coaches knew David was having personal issues that they did more than just not let him play in Saturday's game and sought out the supports he needed.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
A lot of you are delusional, but we knew that.

To play for Iowa State is a privilege and it should be treated as such. Not only do you get a free education, food, housing and countless other perks, you also get the honor of playing for the Cyclones and their fans.

In exchange for that, don't get arrested, don't rob people at gunpoint, don't beat women, don't do drugs, don't get in fights, don't knowingly transmit STDs (we have one of those, too), don't cheat in school, don't be a drunk, do get at least a 2.0 gap and do try to perform at the highest level possible on the playing field.

Oh, the coaches also have a meeting with the players with expectations and to let them know that they'll be under the microscope in Ames.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
When I interned for the Des Moines Public Defender's Office I helped alot with the domestic docket. In so many of the cases the police likely could have arrested both parties to the dispute, but I will let you guess which side was arrested the overwhelming majority of the time...

The one with scissors and a fistful of women's hair in his hand?