When to Add Two

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I've never really been a big part of the conference expansion threads, and I've been just fine with the 10 team conference, but heard something on ESPN College Gameday yesterday that made me feel it's finally time to add two teams.

As they were talking about teams that could face Alabama in the NC, one of the analysts said Baylor may very well be the second best team in the nation, but if it comes down to Baylor, Florida State, and Ohio State, Baylor will not be considered because there isn't a Big 12 championship game, and FSU and OSU will have more recent, better wins to make the BCS likely pick between those two teams, and I think the majority figured it would be OSU, should all three of those teams go undefeated.

Of the three, Baylor has the second toughest schedule (OSU has an extremely easy schedule...easier than Baylor somehow)

I think Florida State should get the shot at the NC should the three go undefeated, but IF they eventually fall, Baylor deserves a shot at the NC so much more than OSU. But if they can't go because they didn't get a 13th win, does that make the big-shots of the Big XII try and bring in two more teams? Or do you think it won't matter, since we will be going to a playoff-system shortly?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think it has more to do with names than with conference prestige right now.

Replace Baylor, Ohio State, and Florida State with Texas, Purdue, and Duke, with the performances the same. Texas would certainly be #2 regardless of how well the no-name schools are playing.

Ohio State and Florida State are just bigger names than Baylor.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Baylor's undefeated, another quality win certainly isn't going to hurt their chances.

But...as long as a majority of the equation is biased voters and not the superior multi-computer average Texas or Oklahoma would probably be better off without a Big 12 title game if they were undefeated.

The last few weeks Baylor's schedule ramps up while FSU and Alabama's gets easy until their title games. FSU and Alabama both have games they could win with their walk ons and 3rd stringers. Idaho and Chatanooga. The SEC has added these weeks off and gimme games late in the year frequently. It's genius. FSU seems to have followed suit. The Big 12 doesn't really have the luxury playing more conference games than they do.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When? About 10 minutes after Mizzou and ATM left.

We should have gone after Louisville and someone else, maybe Cincinnati, right away.

Instead we are going to wait until the league dissolves and get no one.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
When? About 10 minutes after Mizzou and ATM left.

We should have gone after Louisville and someone else, maybe Cincinnati, right away.

Instead we are going to wait until the league dissolves and get no one.

After hearing the analysts yesterday, I slowly started to believe this. Where is this league going? WVU may replace Mizzou in the long run and TCU may have replaced Colorado (when it comes to importance/who gives a hoot) but it sure would be nice to get two more teams in this league. I feel it's just falling apart.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Heck, we should have sweetened the deal to get Notre Dame on board like the ACC did. Sure they didn't get them all in, but they will benefit a lot more than the Big12 will.

Big12 ADs just got greedy. They likes splitting the existing money 10 ways instead of 12. It was short sighted though because only having 10 will cost us in the future.

Louisville with a Heisman caliber QB this year would have been awesome and really brought some more excitement to the Big12 lineup. Not to mention basketball EVERY year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If the Big 12 had a competent commissioner maybe we wouldn't have lost Mizzou and Texas A&M in the first place. Instead we had someone with his lips surgically attached to Texas' nuts.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not sure there's a good time to now.

The time to do it has past, when ACC schools didnt have a grant of rights in place.

I really wish we had Nebraska and Mizzou still though. Id take them both back. Both are going to realize\already have realized their mistake in leaving.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This won't be an issue when we get to the playoff. Yeah, there might be a one loss team that doesn't get in but if you lose, I don't think you have too much room to *****. When you will, and by a lot, like Baylor, you have room to *****.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This won't be an issue when we get to the playoff. Yeah, there might be a one loss team that doesn't get in but if you lose, I don't think you have too much room to *****. When you will, and by a lot, like Baylor, you have room to *****.

We need to make selections at least half by computer formula, that way an undefeated #5 team will be left out because their schedule sucks balls, not because they have a less recognized TV brand name.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We need to make selections at least half by computer formula, that way an undefeated #5 team will be left out because their schedule sucks balls, not because they have a less recognized TV brand name.

The computer formulas used also need to be allowed to factor in margin of victory. Maybe have a cap so once its over 20-30 differential it doesnt matter any more (because at a certain point in a dominating game a team could just name the score, whether it be 30 or 50), but a team should be affected positively if they blow out a team, and negatively if they struggle with a bad team.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It never seemed to be a big deal when Ohio St and USC didn't have a champ game. If it were OU or Texas it wouldn't be a big deal. It is because it is Baylor and Baylor doesn't bring eyeballs to ESPN like other schools do. ESPN has to try to get the schools they want in the BCS title game.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Let's pump the brakes on this one. The comment was made by Paul Finebaum. Not exactly the most unbiased source out there. What he fails to mention is that Baylor will play 9 conference games just like Alabama when it's all said and done. The extra game is actually just an additional cream puff non conference game.

The fact that doesn't get brought up is the teams that Alabama doesn't play this year. All they mention is the SEC schedule, neglecting the point that they don't play S Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. They may get Mizzou now, but even then Baylor's schedule is very comparable if not tougher this year.

Let's give the playoff committee a couple of years to see how this really affects anything.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm amazed how everybody is forgetting how the lack of a championship game let the Big 10 get two teams into BCS bowls like forever, just to be embarrassed, as usual, because they didn't knock each other around at the end of the season. I think that was actually hurting us for a long time.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Let's pump the brakes on this one. The comment was made by Paul Finebaum. Not exactly the most unbiased source out there. What he fails to mention is that Baylor will play 9 conference games just like Alabama when it's all said and done. The extra game is actually just an additional cream puff non conference game.

The fact that doesn't get brought up is the teams that Alabama doesn't play this year. All they mention is the SEC schedule, neglecting the point that they don't play S Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. They may get Mizzou now, but even then Baylor's schedule is very comparable if not tougher this year.

Let's give the playoff committee a couple of years to see how this really affects anything.

Let's be specific, the extra game for FSU and Alabama is Idaho and Chattanooga. OOOOH WHAT MONSTROUS SCHEDULES!

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Big12 ADs just got greedy. They likes splitting the existing money 10 ways instead of 12.

I didn't realize so many Big XII ADs were posters on this site. Because I remember seeing this argument ad nauseam in prior expansion threads ... "More schools split the TV money! You get less with 12 members than with 10! We'll never get the SEZ if we expand to 12!" :jimlad:

It's true, yeah, and the posters making the point that it's the TV networks calling the tune are correct. But conference honchos have to make the call on whether a short-term financial loss (by splitting money 12 ways instead of 10) might be worth the extra national attention/postseason consideration/prestige a conference championship game might bring.

Since the folks in charge at the time when there were decent choices available to add to the Big XII were too busy kissing up to Texas (who REALLY doesn't want a CCG), I think the conference missed its chance. There's just not much out there that could add to the brand right now. I thought Louisville would have been a good addition, personally. I was intrigued by BYU, especially with the national interest that would bring, but no way I'd expand that direction with WVU in the conference. Nothing else I've heard excites me or anyone else ... Tulane? Cincinnati? South Florida? While you might make arguments for recruiting/bowl opportunities/travel, I don't see any of those adding much value for TV or monetary purposes.