When to Add Two

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I'm amazed how everybody is forgetting how the lack of a championship game let the Big 10 get two teams into BCS bowls like forever, just to be embarrassed, as usual, because they didn't knock each other around at the end of the season. I think that was actually hurting us for a long time.

Not true, the BCS bowls always invite 2 Big 10 teams for eyeballs and traveling. This has never been about merit.

It's true, yeah, and the posters making the point that it's the TV networks calling the tune are correct. But conference honchos have to make the call on whether a short-term financial loss (by splitting money 12 ways instead of 10) might be worth the extra national attention/postseason consideration/prestige a conference championship game might bring.

The current tv contract has an escalator if 2 new teams are added. Everyone gets the same amount of money they have now. The CCG is worth between $30 and $40 million per year for the conference so each team would technically get an additional $3 million due to expansion.

The Big 12 needs more writers/pollsters in their footprint to champion the cause. We also need the 2 extra teams in the conference for the coaches poll. This is a good ol boys club where conference members elevate their peers to make themselves look better. The Big 12 needs the additional exposure, footprint and votes.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Would you join this conference? Guaranteed shafting in football to benefit TU and OU, and basketball for Kansas. I mean blatant favoritism. Any school that has any self respect would never willingly enter into such an arrangement.

Newsflash: Missouri is glad they left, and doing just fine. No more KU and TU nonsense to tolerate, plus the SEC may cheat like mad off the field, but they actually let the games play out between the lines.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
I'm not sure there's a good time to now.

The time to do it has past, when ACC schools didnt have a grant of rights in place.

I really wish we had Nebraska and Mizzou still though. Id take them both back. Both are going to realize\already have realized their mistake in leaving.

Perhaps after their first year in their new digs, there was doubt amongst their faithful. But now, with Mizzou leading their division, and Nebby playing for theirs, I bet they don't have many second thoughts. I still miss them, particularly Mizzou. And still haven't figured out for the life of me why the Big X (II) didn't go hard after Louisville, and a school to be named later.