Game Delays/Announcer/Commercials

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Who else thought the game experience was destroyed by extended timeouts and insanely long commercial breaks? Besides the heat, and outcome of the game it made it the worst experience Ive had in over 10 years..

Last edited by a moderator:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Re: Game Delays?!

Extended timeouts and media breaks have been this way for a while. I think it was just a combination of the heat and the game which made the breaks feel long for you.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Lots of injury timeouts last night. We were wondering if the UNI defenders were trying to slow down some of the jet tempo situations without having to use an official team time out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

TV timeouts have been too long for years upon years. It's is nothing new. I'll never know why they need a TV timeout after a PAT and then again after the ensuing kickoff.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The timeouts at\around change of possession probably made things seem longer in the first half with UNI getting relatively quick TDs.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

I know they've been long for some time, but seemed exceptionally long last night... I expect it from ABC, but I thought MediaCom took entirely way to long...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

TV timeouts have been too long for years upon years. It's is nothing new. I'll never know why they need a TV timeout after a PAT and then again after the ensuing kickoff.

Yeah, this is one of the more annoying delays.

cardinalandred

Sep 1, 2013
Announcer/commericals during the game

I'm not going to touch on the inexcusable lose to UNI.....Is anyone else dissappointed with the constant commericals, numerous hall of famers, lack of excitment from the announcer, not to mention the band was horrible (UNI's band was way better). I don't remember this many commericals last year, and whoever was running the music was aweful. We had a stadium packed full of fans, but the never-ending interuptions, delays and bizarre music mishaps were so disrupting that I felt the atmosphere in the stadium was very dull (and not just b/c we were loosing).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Re: Announcer/commericals during the game

Gotta pay the bills. Coaches salaries, existing facilities improvements, future facilities improvements (SEZ) all cost money. Unfortunately one of the side effects of the college athletics arms race. They even complain about this at Texas, a lot of people there complain about the godzillatron due to all its ads.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

It sure felt like there were a lot more commercials last night than what we're used to. I'd be curious to know if this is true or just my perception. But it reminded me of an NFL game: touchdown, XP, commercial, kickoff, commercial, three and out, commercial. No continuity in the game at all.

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

More guaranteed butts in seats means the AD can charge more for the advertising. Seems like that's what is happening here.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

What happened to the big 12 saying they were going to show in game highlights at the games.. Didn't see one last night.

Also this next comment is made to take nothing away from the kids who participate in it. They totally deserve everything and more. But I'm tired of tearing up in the first quarter after they talk about the blank hospital child team captain. I think it is very special, but I look like a fool with tears in my eyes after a ISU score.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames

Remember when a play was under review and they never showed the replay ONCE. They just had the ad on there the entire 6 minute break.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

What happened to the big 12 saying they were going to show in game highlights at the games.. Didn't see one last night.

Also this next comment is made to take nothing away from the kids who participate in it. They totally deserve everything and more. But I'm tired of tearing up in the first quarter after they talk about the blank hospital child team captain. I think it is very special, but I look like a fool with tears in my eyes after a ISU score.
Bucky, there were none. Let's just destroy the film.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

was at the game so didnt see it on tv.....wasnt the announcer john walters? If so, that was a radio broadcast, which is why it sounded like a radio broadcast, he has to paint a picture for listeners as opposed to a tv broadcaster.

Plus he is outstanding at his job.

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)

The game announcer doesn't have much energy. Area for improvement. But overall the crowd didn't help much either and that a result of the teams performance.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny

There was a couple but they were before the game.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny

was at the game so didnt see it on tv.....wasnt the announcer john walters? If so, that was a radio broadcast, which is why it sounded like a radio broadcast, he has to paint a picture for listeners as opposed to a tv broadcaster.

Plus he is outstanding at his job.
Announcers at the game not JW