Game Delays/Announcer/Commercials

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
Re: Announcer/commericals during the game

Also this next comment is made to take nothing away from the kids who participate in it. They totally deserve everything and more. But I'm tired of tearing up in the first quarter after they talk about the blank hospital child team captain. I think it is very special, but I look like a fool with tears in my eyes after a ISU score.

I understand what you are saying.... But as a father that spent a week in NICU (all was fine) it reminds me of that week and how blessed I am, and how blessed those parents are for still having their child. I am willing to be seen crying like a baby to have a chance to give those kids and families a standing ovation.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013

Slightly off topic, maybe, but as a UNI fan attending my first game at Ames, is Sweet Caroline always played like that? Just about the time it was getting to what I figured the crowd would sing along with, the music cut off and was replaced with some type of discordant rap?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Slightly off topic, maybe, but as a UNI fan attending my first game at Ames, is Sweet Caroline always played like that? Just about the time it was getting to what I figured the crowd would sing along with, the music cut off and was replaced with some type of discordant rap?

No, its usually not. Usually they'd play more of it.

They also used to only play it if we were leading between the 3rd and 4th, or just as a victory song. Dont know why they played it when we were losing.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny

No, its usually not. Usually they'd play more of it.

They also used to only play it if we were leading between the 3rd and 4th, or just as a victory song. Dont know why they played it when we were losing.
It needs to go back to being played after a win.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012

It was all around a terrible day. The mood in the stadium was weak from the start. Not nearly as much energy as we needed to have. I agree on all the delays and the garbage same old music choices and a totally tarnished Sweet Caroline. Its unfortunate but I think the reason it hurts so bad is because of the expectations we as fans have. There much higher for me this year and clearly our team isnt worthy of it. We were controlled all day. Looked like KState at the end of their game only we looked like it all night.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

1. Our band sucked, period. In my four years as a student, that was the worst, ever. UNI kicked our bands ***.

2. The constant commercials were because UNI couldn't keep up with our hurry-up offense so they had a kid go down every other play with a cramp. Commercial Break.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

They usually play a lot more, but I think they ended up filling a bunch of that time with more advertising instead.

That said, it was awesome when they cut it off. That song shouldn't be anywhere near a football stadium anyway.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

There was the long White play to the 8 where he went out of bounds. No timeout, no change if quarter, no injury on the field, yet they still took a tv timeout. Anyone remember that or know why there was a tv timeout there?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Twice last night someone went out of bounds and the clock kept running.

The worst was when they'd get to the line of scrimmage to play and THEN they'd call a commercial break. Horrible communication.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006

I'm not going to touch on the inexcusable lose to UNI.....Is anyone else dissappointed with the constant commericals, numerous hall of famers, lack of excitment from the announcer, not to mention the band was horrible (UNI's band was way better). I don't remember this many commericals last year, and whoever was running the music was aweful. We had a stadium packed full of fans, but the never-ending interuptions, delays and bizarre music mishaps were so disrupting that I felt the atmosphere in the stadium was very dull (and not just b/c we were loosing).

I can get on board with some of this after being there last night, but to complain about them introducing the new Hall of Fame members is a little over the top.

There was the long White play to the 8 where he went out of bounds. No timeout, no change if quarter, no injury on the field, yet they still took a tv timeout. Anyone remember that or know why there was a tv timeout there?

UNI had a player injured on their sidelines out of bounds by where White went out of bounds.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009

Twice last night someone went out of bounds and the clock kept running.

The worst was when they'd get to the line of scrimmage to play and THEN they'd call a commercial break. Horrible communication.

The clock does keep running once the ball is spotted after going out of bounds. Part of their goal to speed up the game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Re: Game Delays?!

TV timeouts have been too long for years upon years. It's is nothing new. I'll never know why they need a TV timeout after a PAT and then again after the ensuing kickoff.

Because there are a designated number of breaks (3-4) each quarter. A longer drive means that they've effectively blown through a media timeout. So, to catch up, you sometimes get the PAT-TO-KO-TO sequence.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Lots of injury timeouts last night. We were wondering if the UNI defenders were trying to slow down some of the jet tempo situations without having to use an official team time out.
Our own offense does a pretty good job of slowing itself down so I doubt that was it.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
It needs to go back to being played after a win.

This, this, this. I don't care how much the students get into Sweet Caroline, it shouldn't be played when ISU is down. Play it if they are leading at the end of the 3rd quarter or after a victory.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
why are there tv timeouts when its an internet production? are there actually commercials?

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids

Lots of injury timeouts last night. We were wondering if the UNI defenders were trying to slow down some of the jet tempo situations without having to use an official team time out.

I wondered the same thing. If that becomes a strategy that defenses begin to use, I wonder how you would modify the rules to control it.