Hoiberg on Murph N Andy at 3:45

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
as someone pointed out in another thread, heck maybe this one, that Texas loss is looming large. It could have more impact on our program than originally thought in that we would have had a better seed and Royce would not have played against so many projected NBA guys in the first couple of rounds. Had we gotten a better seed, there is a good chance we are still in the tournament. Sure Royce would have eventually gone up against those high caliber players, but if we were to make a sweet 16, an elite 8 or even a final 4 then I think most of us would feel a lot better with Royce leaving since we accomplished something our program hadn't done in several years. In the end, Royce deserves the best and if that is going to the NBA at this time, so be it.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Jesus dude. They win a lot of titles and go to the Final 4 enough to more than make up for a little uncertainty.

If you lose 2-3 players early to the NBA every year, and re-load with 4-5 players that average 4.5 stars, you're sitting pretty good.
And ISU is going to start getting 4-5 of those caliber players every year? :rolleyes:

C'mon man!!!

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
And ISU is going to start getting 4-5 of those caliber players every year? :rolleyes:

C'mon man!!!

Clearly I don't think we'll ever get talent like that. Obviously it's a pointless debate, but good lord do we have stupid fans, if they wouldn't be happy with that type of program.

getcloned

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2008
I would not want a team like kentucky because I don't want Hoiberg paying for players.

Really? C'mon. I suppose you also think that Saban pays players at UA. :SLEEP:

Cal gets these players because he has demonstrated that he can get them into the League and has no issues with them leaving early if they're ready. Like him or not, he's a charismatic guy who knows how to relate to these kids. Maybe he's just their final "handler" until the NBA draft; but paying them he is not. UK has more NCAA compliance officers than any other school mostly due to the perception of the public regarding these issues.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Really? C'mon. I suppose you also think that Saban pays players at UA. :SLEEP:

Cal gets these players because he has demonstrated that he can get them into the League and has no issues with them leaving early if they're ready. Like him or not, he's a charismatic guy who knows how to relate to these kids. Maybe he's just their final "handler" until the NBA draft; but paying them he is not. UK has more NCAA compliance officers than any other school mostly due to the perception of the public regarding these issues.
That is a bold faced lie and you know it...how dare you!!!!!!:jimlad:

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I believe if Royce is a possible 25-35 pick this year, if he came back and showed to be a complete monster in the block with C. Lucious being the true PG next year it would make his stock skyrocket to top 5-10. He wont be bringing the ball down the court in the league, like he did for us this yr.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
May have to sum it up for us that dont get insider...

I don't have Insider either, but after looking at what I could from that link he's not in the Top 10 at least.

On a somewhat related note I know he's listed as 6-8, but I don't think after seeing him up close and in person he's 6-8. I rode in the elevator with him and some of the other players in Louisville and he didn't look at all much taller than Melvin, who's listed at 6-6. If I had to guess I'd say he tops off at 6-7, but again that's a total guess on my part.

DMICyclone

Oct 4, 2010
Ames
as someone pointed out in another thread, heck maybe this one, that Texas loss is looming large. It could have more impact on our program than originally thought in that we would have had a better seed and Royce would not have played against so many projected NBA guys in the first couple of rounds. Had we gotten a better seed, there is a good chance we are still in the tournament. Sure Royce would have eventually gone up against those high caliber players, but if we were to make a sweet 16, an elite 8 or even a final 4 then I think most of us would feel a lot better with Royce leaving since we accomplished something our program hadn't done in several years. In the end, Royce deserves the best and if that is going to the NBA at this time, so be it.

Would you please. shut the **** up. about the Texas game.

Thank you.

DMICyclone

Oct 4, 2010
Ames
Does anyone know what the signing bonus/starting salary difference is between lotto picks and late first rounders?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Said he raised his draft stock a lot in the first weekend of the tournament. Although, also said his unique play can be good and bad from an NBA team standpoint and team interviews will be important. Not a lot we didn't already know.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Said he raised his draft stock a lot in the first weekend of the tournament. Although, also said his unique play can be good and bad from an NBA team standpoint and team interviews will be important. Not a lot we didn't already know.

I can't imagine his interviews will be anything but impressive. They'll have questions about the anxiouty issues of course. But Royce comes across as very impressive in every interview I've heard. Hell, the NBA guys might appreciate someone who is forthcoming about their problems. And they'll have Hoiberg's analysis.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Here's Royce's section:
The Good
Royce White, F, Iowa State

No one created a bigger stir this weekend than White. Scouts were disproportionately congregated in Louisville this weekend hoping for a UConn-Kentucky matchup. Instead, they got to see White dominate both UConn (15 points, 13 rebounds) and Kentucky (23 points, nine rebounds, four assists). In the end, the Cyclones came up short against the Wildcats, ending their NCAA journey. But the debate on White's draft status has just begun.

White is not a sleeper. He was highly regarded coming out of high school and scouts have followed him closely all season. On pure talent, he's a terrific NBA prospect. But there are concerns both on and off the court that give pause.

White has the physical skills to do everything on the court.
White showed off his LeBron James-esque (if you love him) or Boris Diaw-esque (if you're not sure) ability to play like a point guard despite being 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds. The Cyclones' offense ran through him, and for most of those two games he carried the team on his shoulders. White can handle the ball, shoot the 3 or post up his defender in the paint. He's a terrific rebounder and a warrior on the court.

However, it's questionable that White can play the same way at the NBA level. While he's a good athlete, he's not elite like LeBron. NBA coaches aren't going to just give him the ball and let him create for himself the way Fred Hoiberg did, especially when you factor in how often he turned over the ball. He's going to need a coach like Mike D'Antoni, who worked wonders with Diaw when he coached the Suns.

Off the court, White suffers from a well-documented anxiety disorder that's triggered, in part, by a fear of flying. White actually had his grandfather drive him from Ames, Iowa, to Louisville, Ky., to avoid an incident. How that affects him at the next level is anyone's guess ... but it is an issue that will be addressed even before the draft. NBA teams will want to interview him and administer tests, as well as have him visit. Most draft prospects are on planes every other day flying from city to city.

White did a lot to improve his stock this week and will get a serious look from NBA teams in the mid to late first round. But he's going to have to shine in the draft workout process. Given how far he's come already, it's hard not to root for him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Jesus dude. They win a lot of titles and go to the Final 4 enough to more than make up for a little uncertainty.

If you lose 2-3 players early to the NBA every year, and re-load with 4-5 players that average 4.5 stars, you're sitting pretty good.

We're pretty much talking about imaginary scenarios, so I'm going with mine if you don't mind. In the next thread, we can argue about who gets to take Kate Upton home, ok?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron