SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Can someone give me a summary?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah I listened to it! He talked about if RW would stay or go and said pretty much what we alread know! Said that he would gather info on everything and let RW know his options and that at the end of the day it would still be RW choice!

Also said that there is no guarantee that RW will improve his draft stock with another year because we will have a different type of team next year, with a point guard and that this might be the best his draft stock will get for him!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Kentucky played GOOD

NBA for Royce: Fred has been gathering information for all players over the course of the year, and he will help gather the final information, then sit down with his family and discuss it, but it will be Royce's decision. Royce has put himself into a position to get a look, and his stock is pretty high right now. Can't tell if another year would help or not due to variables.

How good could we be with Royce back? Excited about the pieces for next year. Percy will have a larger role next season. Excited about new players. (Didn't directly answer the question, but he seems thrilled with the team, with or without Royce)

Will develop his plan based on the talent that is on the team, not try to fit the team to his system.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
When he was talking about Niang he said something about a 7'er that he's been playing against but wouldn't mention him by name. Thought that was interesting.

Can't talk about prospects, even if not recruiting them, until they sign a LOI. He was talking about Noels (no chance for us).

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Basically sounded like mostly the same answers as this morning (I didn’t hear that interview)…but my takeaways—

-he’s going to adapt the style they play to the players they have…specifically mentioned how Wisc recruits players to fit their system…he’s not going to do that…he’s going to recruit the best players he can and then adjust to their strengths

-they asked about more potential transfers seeing what he did with the transfers this year and wanting to come to ISU…he thought it was a great question and said that he guesses he’ll know in the next couple of weeks after some coaching changes if some players approach him about wanting to come to ISU

-said he would’ve played UK the exact same way again…make them beat you with outside shooting…they were something like 15 of 68 from 3 point range their last 2-3 games…thought UK would’ve beat quite a few NBA teams the way they played/shot the ball

-thought Royce outplayed 4-5 lottery picks in the 2 NCAA games…and put himself in a great position as far as having to make the decision…I know people have said this but it really does sound like in listening to him that Royce has really put himself in prime position for the draft…said he didn’t have a crystal ball and didn’t know whether another year would benefit Royce…mentioned how a couple of guys who were predicted to be top 5 picks last year hurt themselves by coming back and that some guys were borderline 1st round/2nd round picks helped themselves this year

Spam

May 21, 2008
Reading Fred's comments in this thread make it sound like Fred would encourage Royce to leave.

Comments from the thread:

"Also said that there is no guarantee that RW will improve his draft stock with another year because we will have a different type of team next year, with a point guard and that this might be the best his draft stock will get for him!"

"thought Royce outplayed 4-5 lottery picks in the 2 NCAA games…and put himself in a great position as far as having to make the decision…I know people have said this but it really does sound like in listening to him that Royce has really put himself in prime position for the draft…said he didn’t have a crystal ball and didn’t know whether another year would benefit Royce…mentioned how a couple of guys who were predicted to be top 5 picks last year hurt themselves by coming back and that some guys were borderline 1st round/2nd round picks helped themselves this year"

Reactions: Ry4Cy

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Can't talk about prospects, even if not recruiting them, until they sign a LOI. He was talking about Noels (no chance for us).

Could have been talking about Blaise Mbarmorba whom he plays against not Noel whom he plays with. ISU actually had an offer out according to ESPN. Blaise will be on the same team has Niang and Okoro in the Mary Cline Classic. Mbarmorba is a 4* #92 Rating on ESPN.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Could have been talking about Blaise Mbarmorba whom he plays against not Noel whom he plays with. ISU actually had an offer out according to ESPN. Blaise will be on the same team has Niang and Okoro in the Mary Cline Classic. Mbarmorba is a 4* #92 Rating on ESPN.

He was specific about the kid hadn't signed anywhere. According to rivals Blaise is signed to SMU.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Reading Fred's comments in this thread make it sound like Fred would encourage Royce to leave.

Comments from the thread:

"Also said that there is no guarantee that RW will improve his draft stock with another year because we will have a different type of team next year, with a point guard and that this might be the best his draft stock will get for him!"

"thought Royce outplayed 4-5 lottery picks in the 2 NCAA games…and put himself in a great position as far as having to make the decision…I know people have said this but it really does sound like in listening to him that Royce has really put himself in prime position for the draft…said he didn’t have a crystal ball and didn’t know whether another year would benefit Royce…mentioned how a couple of guys who were predicted to be top 5 picks last year hurt themselves by coming back and that some guys were borderline 1st round/2nd round picks helped themselves this year"

And judging from Hoiberg's tone during the interview, I'd say you are right. If Fred had to make the decision for Royce, he'd be gone.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
And judging from Hoiberg's tone during the interview, I'd say you are right. If Fred had to make the decision for Royce, he'd be gone.
That's what I heard although it is not the message many want to hear ...... myself included. Especialy when you couple that with Royce saying earlier that he would listen to Fred.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
That's what I heard although it is not the message many want to hear ...... myself included. Especialy when you couple that with Royce saying earlier that he would listen to Fred.

I don't think Freddy honestly knows yet. All this just happened, hardly any time has past yet. I just think he was being honest about it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I didn't get that impression. Just that Fred is sure that Royce's stock definitely improved. Did it improve enough? We don't know yet. Really depends on what Royce sees as high enough, and what the scouts come back with after seeing him play. There were certainly a ton of scouts there to watch.