Ferentz to PSU?

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Ferentz is probably just licking his chops right now because he will be "rumored" to be considering this job and therefore he will automatically receive a million dollar pay raise from Iowa.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
I know A LOT of hawk fans that would be thrilled to see him leave. I hate the hawks and even I get frustrated watching such a boring, conservative, and terribly time-managed gameplan.
That is simply hilarious....What Cyclone fan wouldn't take Iowa's record and bowl wins over the last ten years. Yeah most fans just hate watching boring teams that have won two conference titles and gone to two BCS bowl games winning one of them. The Clones are 7-6 against Ferentz which is great but I would much rather have the Hawkeyes resume in post season play.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Exactly....I was talking to a couple of friends at lunch and they didn't seem to think there would be NCAA sanctions. How could that be?

Baylor got drilled for their deal.
OSU gave alway sports trinkets.

Something has to happen to PSU based on this doesn't it?

There won't be any NCAA sanctions, this has absolutely nothing to do with an NCAA violation. Baylor wasn't sanctioned for the Dennehy murder, they were sanctioned because the NCAA found a blatant pay for play scheme being led by Dave Bliss.

The OSU case is completely irrelevant to this situation.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
There won't be any NCAA sanctions, this has absolutely nothing to do with an NCAA violation. Baylor wasn't sanctioned for the Dennehy murder, they were sanctioned because the NCAA found a blatant pay for play scheme being led by Dave Bliss.

The OSU case is completely irrelevant to this situation.

Agreed with your points around the cases not being the same....but....if an athletic department purposely covered up SEVERAL cases of child sexual abuse (which I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to see that they did) I would think the NCAA would have something to say about it.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm guessing it's only a matter of time until these rumors start...will be fun to watch Iowa fans squirm.

Kirk would fit in perfectly... he's a pro at cover ups!

He knows how to work the legal system... guess he learned from the best in the biz... Joe Pa!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
** ESPN's Joe Schad just reported that iowa's Kirk Ferentz would be on the immediate short list for the Penn State job. Along with: Urban Meyer, Al Golden @ Miami (Fla.) would be the main candidates to start out with.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have a feeling Kirk takes this job too. I think he is sick of the ebb and flow of Iowa's fanbase. The fact that Barta made a public statement about his job status after the Minnesota loss is telling.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
I have a feeling Kirk takes this job too. I think he is sick of the ebb and flow of Iowa's fanbase. The fact that Barta made a public statement about his job status after the Minnesota loss is telling.

Oh, yes, because long-term coaches eventually get tired of a fickle fringe fanbase, and prefer to take the reins of an in-conference program, in the shadow of a national legend, that is experiencing a public relations nuclear apocalypse.

What's he going to do, paint the visiting locker room rape showers pink?

I would bet 73 cents and my grandma's wheelchair that your feeling is very, very much off.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
** ESPN's Joe Schad just reported that iowa's Kirk Ferentz would be on the immediate short list for the Penn State job. Along with: Urban Meyer, Al Golden @ Miami (Fla.) would be the main candidates to start out with.

I think KF and Meyer would be idiots for taking the PSU job at this point.

KF makes more money with less expectations at Iowa.
Meyer can get any job he wants and would probably be better off waiting it out.
Golden would actually make sense. Miami might end up getting HUGE sanctions for their recent issues, which are not connected to him at all. He would be able to start over at PSU and, while not an easy job in the slightest, might end up better off than at the U.

I think, in the end, whoever replaces Paterno next year is doomed from the start. First, you are following a coaching legend so nothing positive you do will ever be good enough and every negative will be damning. Second, you have to deal with the aftermath of this scandal and be under one of the strongest microscopes ever. PSU will need to be squeaky clean for years to have a chance to come back.

Whoever is the coach at PSU next year will be there for 3 or 4 years tops. Then they will be fired for whoever the hot coaching name is. There are not many coaches that can follow a legend and make their own success. Add this HUGE scandal to it and he's already got 2 strikes.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Doesn't Kirk's son play for Iowa as as center? Why would be leave when his son is there. I figure he would move onto greener pastures once his son graduated.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Doesn't Kirk's son play for Iowa as as center? Why would be leave when his son is there. I figure he would move onto greener pastures once his son graduated.

I believe the NCAA allows players to re-locate if it enables the student athlete to move closer to their family or if there has been a "family matter" and he would be able to play his senior season at PSU the following season due to his family relocating. I'm sure this has happened in coaching switches and son's leaving to play for their dad at another location before?

Or if his son truely wants to stay at iowa without his Dad for a season, that could just be his choice as well. This is the Penn St. coaching job we are talking about as well.

Regardless, KF's name is going to be brought up again and again for the coaching vacancy here whether or not sqawk fans like it or not. (It just did again on ESPN by the way @ 12:54 eastern time.)

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am feeling it. By 15 Dec, KFc will be packing and headed again back East. That way he can get some new assistant coaches that have been slowing him down. He can sign a ten year contract and play ball in a bigger stadium. He can lead the Beast of the East to war. Then he could sniff around the pro head coaching jobs like the Ravens and Steelers at the same time in five years.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Like I said, I think you could very easily hear both Ferentz and Rhoads' names brought up.

And we, as Iowa State fans, should know that you can't assume someone's going to be at a school forever.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Like I said, I think you could very easily hear both Ferentz and Rhoads' names brought up.

And we, as Iowa State fans, should know that you can't assume someone's going to be at a school forever.

Ugh, please don't say that. Thought I know it is quite possible. It would be another way to make this whole PSU thing worse.