Notebook: Season awaits the Cyclones

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
So what is Rhoads saying? Richardson is #3, but will never play UNLESS Steele and Jared get hurt for the whole season? Or what the heck? Because I'm confused about the Bueker part.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
So what is Rhoads saying? Richardson is #3, but will never play UNLESS Steele and Jared get hurt for the whole season? Or what the heck? Because I'm confused about the Bueker part.

He means there not going to burn his redshirt just to have him come in for a few plays.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that it is pretty straight forward. If Jantz and Barnett get hurt, Bueker finishes the game. If BOTH Jantz and Barnett are out for the year or an extended period of time, then Richardson would play. If they are dinged and able to play the next week, then Richardson keeps his RS on.

The thing that I don't get is the LB situation. If nothing has really changed, how is it that Klein isn't going to play two positions like last year. My understanding was:

Vs running teams or on running downs:
WLB: Knott
MLB: Taufoou/George
SLB: Klein

Vs spread teams or on passing downs:
MLB: Klein
SLB: Morgan/Broomfield

Is this not the case this year? I guess my question is, if Klein is playing MIKE regardless, who plays SAM in the 4-3?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So, against Iowa, they'll play a straight 4-3...bringing in the nickel on all of those third and longs after stuffing Coker twice. :wink:

Everyone else (except UConn, maybe Texas) they'll play the nickel.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think that this might have been my very favorite sentence, from the section about Caspers:

“He’s learning. To say that he isn’t struggling wouldn’t be right. He is making a transition back to a position that he played but he is doing it at the division on level against a really good offensive line and trying to not only relearn the position, but learn the defense. He is working awfully hard and I think he is at the right position for his physical skills.”

That phrase made me smile. How long has it been since anyone could say that Iowa State had a "really good offensive line"? Just ask Ben Bruns!

I've thought that AA (and Meyer, and the receivers) has taken a lot of heat for the shortcomings of recent offensive lines. It would be great to see a strong pass and run blocking unit on the field from Game One!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I don't understand what is confusing about that. It means if Steele and Jared both go down in a single game they will put Beuker in to hand off the ball to Shontrelle and Woody. But if they need a QB to start and lead the team, they'll pull Richardson's redshirt. It's really straightforward and should be obvious to anyone who even casually follows football.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I think what he is saying about the linebacker switch is that essentially we will be playing a lot of nickel, Klein slides over to MLB when we play nickel and CJ/Deon play the nickel position or SAM. So basically our base package on defense is the nickel this year and as a result Klein has moved over to starter at MLB and bumped Taufoou down to second string, but of course he will play when we play a power team.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think that it is pretty straight forward. If Jantz and Barnett get hurt, Bueker finishes the game. If BOTH Jantz and Barnett are out for the year or an extended period of time, then Richardson would play. If they are dinged and able to play the next week, then Richardson keeps his RS on.

The thing that I don't get is the LB situation. If nothing has really changed, how is it that Klein isn't going to play two positions like last year. My understanding was:

Vs running teams or on running downs:
MLB: Taufoou/George
SLB: Klein

Vs spread teams or on passing downs:
MLB: Klein
SLB: Morgan/Broomfield

Is this not the case this year? I guess my question is, if Klein is playing MIKE regardless, who plays SAM in the 4-3?

Yeah, it's still confusing. If Klein isn't switching positions who does play SAM? Also, if the nickel is the SAM in the depth chart, why is there still a nickelback shown? You'd think it'd be Broomfield if it was another added DB. Poor execution of the depth chart. I don't like how this season is looking. :jimlad:

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Well this was typed out by Chris, so you can read it as slow as you want. Rhoads fast talking shouldn't stop you from figuring it out
What you don't understand is Chris has to type exactly what Rhoads says. Rhoads' words are every where in this blog. Just my thoughts.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Quick Poll: Does Clones21 have any friends?

1) No
2) Hell No
3) Possibly

Actually, I think this post says more about you. The guy asked for clarification on the board from people who often times know a lot about the sport and the subject matter for which the post is about. Unfortunately, trolls often also browse the boards looking for inappropriate and tactless times to try and zing someone or make dumb *** comments about their social life. I'd bet Clones21 has plenty of friends, and I'm glad he is asking questions instead of acting like a cocky *** who thinks he knows it all. Maybe some of us could learn something from him.

Reactions: Me State

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well this was typed out by Chris, so you can read it as slow as you want. Rhoads fast talking shouldn't stop you from figuring it out

In defense of Clones21, I think he meant Rhoads talked too fast and didn't make his point clear.

It didn't confuse me, but if someone reads it literally, there's some "understood" information omitted, making it sound like Richardson is No. 3, but the coach prefers to redshirt him and use Bueker instead. (which could, I suppose, sound like a contradiction).

Reactions: ljhlax

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
I think that this might have been my very favorite sentence, from the section about Caspers:

That phrase made me smile. How long has it been since anyone could say that Iowa State had a "really good offensive line"? Just ask Ben Bruns!

I've thought that AA (and Meyer, and the receivers) has taken a lot of heat for the shortcomings of recent offensive lines. It would be great to see a strong pass and run blocking unit on the field from Game One!

No kidding! I'll never forget Austin Flynn running for his life week after week...

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
No kidding! I'll never forget Austin Flynn running for his life week after week...

Good point about Austin Flynn running for his life every play. Does anyone else think most offensive linemen are created about equal? They all stand 6'4", weight about 300 lbs and can move a mountain, it's just some are lucky enough to have a line coach that knows what the heck he is doing? In Austin Flynns case the o line coach was Marty Fine who was canned at Indiana before we pick him up, Macs worst coaching hire.

Last edited:

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
He means there not going to burn his redshirt just to have him come in for a few plays.

Didn't mac the mediocre do that with a QB? Wasn't there a QB that he had throw one pass in a blowout loss to nebbie or somebody.

I can't remember the name, but it was definitely mac who did this. Only mac would do that, another in the what the **** were you thinking mac? moments that he was famous for.