its sad, but baylor scares me

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
they have a lot of momentum and they are taking advantage of it recruiting wise. they have 18 commits and only 3 of those do not have other BCS offers. 3 of them were offered by oklahoma and they chose BAYLOR. have we ever beat oklahoma for a recruit? i know david sims committed there, but then they told him no, so he doesn't count.

as excited as i am about our own recruits, it sure sucks to see a team like baylor destroying us in recruiting. when you compare the two classes head to head, it is pretty sad. granted it is still early, but still. its already an uphill battle for us in the big 12, but if baylor gets more momentum its gonna be even tougher. hopefully briles will jump ship if he has a few good years.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I agree about this general idea. I miss the old Baylor. It would be nice to have a couple of conference punching bags in Baylor and Kansas for the next few years.

However I think recruiting-wise we are doing just fine. I put little to no stock in recruiting rankings/offers/all that stuff. I trust CPR and the staff here to get us the right guys.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I have to say Art Briles is doing a great job down there.

Art Briles and Scott Drew are very similar. Get good recruits, but the results don't speak for themselves. Sure the talent is there, but it doesnt matter how much talent you have if you can't coach it.

I do think Briles is a pretty good coach, but for the talent he is getting, the results dont show it.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Art Briles and Scott Drew are very similar. Get good recruits, but the results don't speak for themselves. Sure the talent is there, but it doesnt matter how much talent you have if you can't coach it.

I do think Briles is a pretty good coach, but for the talent he is getting, the results dont show it.
I would say that the results are starting to show for Baylor some. He took a team that hadn't been to a bowl since 94 and their loses last year were to some extremely tough teams, TCU (13-0) Oklahoma State (11-2) Oklahoma (12-2) Texas A&M (9-4). They also lost to Texas Tech and got killed by Illinois in that bowl game (Bowl game shouldn't have happened), but for the most part I thought they did pretty well with the talent they had last year. As far as the Scott Drew part I couldn't agree more.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't buy the hype.

Baylor had its first winning season since '95, and only one other time in that span had more than 4 wins. Reached its first bowl since '94, then got routed by Illinois, another 7-6 team.

And all of a sudden it's a program to fear.

Not to say things don't change, or won't change, but I need more than one non-bad season before I start to think it isn't "just Baylor."

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I don't buy the hype.

Baylor had its first winning season since '95, and only one other time in that span had more than 4 wins. Reached its first bowl since '94, then got routed by Illinois, another 7-6 team.

Not to say things don't change, or won't change, but I need more than one non-bad season before I start to think it isn't "just Baylor."

If anything, ISU is the program to fear right now. Last year we made a mockery of Texas. The year before, it was Nebraska and we won a bowl game. Sure, we may not have a winning season, but we will completely ruin the season of someone who is having one.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't buy the hype.

I would agree and say that it isn't a team to really fear, but I think in the future it could be a pretty stable program that wins 6, 7 games every year and maybe even 8 every once in a while.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't buy the hype.

Baylor will never be better than the fourth or fifth best team in Texas, but that is still pretty good. Good enough to stomp most north teams at least. They have a huge recruiting advantage over us and their fans and facilities are beginning to wake up. Don't be surprised if you see Baylor consistently going to bowl games in the near future.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Baylor will never be better than the fourth or fifth best team in Texas, but that is still pretty good. Good enough to stomp most north teams at least. They have a huge recruiting advantage over us and their fans and facilities are beginning to wake up. Don't be surprised if you see Baylor consistently going to bowl games in the near future.

:rolleyes::twitcy::twitcy:

right.

BaylorHistory

May 30, 2011
Waco, TX
We are very happy with our class this year so far. We need to start beating Missouri, Tech, and oSu more but we have beaten KU/KSU/ISU on every recruit which is the first time in history we have done that. We are loading up on defense which was horrible last year and we should be more balanced in the future.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
Were you using Tiller? It'd explain the score...:yes:

briles spent some time under mike leach and he learned the spread formation. he was head coach at houston and was very successful.then he was hired away from houston to coach the baylor bears...he can step out his back door and can recuit a 40 mile radius around waco and pull in some decent ballers..
tom herman spent some time under mike leach .did he learn the spread?????
we have the disadvantage that we have to travel to california, texas, and to florida to pull in some decent footballl players.

i think turner gill is finding it quite hard to pull players into kansas. he may get fired if he does not produce this year..when u r at iowa state,kansas or at k state-it is hard to compete for texas recruits when you have north texas state,tcu,smu,
texas tech,baylor,texas,texas a and m,houston and the new team that will be just starting their first season at university of texas ay san antonio.
larry coker has assembled some pretty decent recruits the past 2 or 3 years. he stole a couple of kids in san antonio that coach paul rthoads really wanted..

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, Baylor is going to be a decent program. Briles is a darn good coach and he is a good recruiter with fertile recruiting close in.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't know a lot about Baylor but there are a couple issues with them having sustained success. Art Briles is almost 60 years old. He isn't going to be around forever. That's fine, he can build it up but I don't know that the size of Baylor and the institution itself can attract top tier coaches to sustain that. I think it's similar to ISU, though, with ISU if we had sustained success, like 8 win season consistently, I could us growing in terms of money while Baylor just doesn't have the alumni base to do that. I think in the future you could see CPR making a lot more money than current. I think Briles is in the 1.8 range and I don't know that Baylor could go much higher and justify it. Maybe they could but he still likely has limited time.

Baylor is getting better though. Don't compare them to the basketball team. Recruiting takes a few years to be seen on the field.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
they have a lot of momentum and they are taking advantage of it recruiting wise. they have 18 commits and only 3 of those do not have other BCS offers. 3 of them were offered by oklahoma and they chose BAYLOR. have we ever beat oklahoma for a recruit? i know david sims committed there, but then they told him no, so he doesn't count.

as excited as i am about our own recruits, it sure sucks to see a team like baylor destroying us in recruiting. when you compare the two classes head to head, it is pretty sad. granted it is still early, but still. its already an uphill battle for us in the big 12, but if baylor gets more momentum its gonna be even tougher. hopefully briles will jump ship if he has a few good years.
Two words: man up.