its sad, but baylor scares me

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We are very happy with our class this year so far. We need to start beating Missouri, Tech, and oSu more but we have beaten KU/KSU/ISU on every recruit which is the first time in history we have done that. We are loading up on defense which was horrible last year and we should be more balanced in the future.
Yeah, but how do you recruit against Texas who we beat last year.......

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I don't buy the hype.

Baylor had its first winning season since '95, and only one other time in that span had more than 4 wins. Reached its first bowl since '94, then got routed by Illinois, another 7-6 team.

And all of a sudden it's a program to fear.

Not to say things don't change, or won't change, but I need more than one non-bad season before I start to think it isn't "just Baylor."

Agree here. I wish ISU could have gotten this sort of "hype" when we were going/winning bowl games this past decade..... prob. because they are in the state of Texas. BS. I expect to beat them this year.....Griffen III or not....

all2matt

Mar 6, 2011
I don't buy the hype.

Baylor had its first winning season since '95, and only one other time in that span had more than 4 wins. Reached its first bowl since '94, then got routed by Illinois, another 7-6 team.

And all of a sudden it's a program to fear.

Not to say things don't change, or won't change, but I need more than one non-bad season before I start to think it isn't "just Baylor."

+1,
CPR > briles in the coaching game
CPR > briles in the development game
CPR < briels in the recruting game

plus the lose the one player that makes that team go this yr. they dont appear to me to have as high of cieling as some of the journalists and sport casters want to place upon them

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
+1,

plus the lose the one player that makes that team go this yr. they dont appear to me to have as high of cieling as some of the journalists and sport casters want to place upon them

The only reason that CPR would be less than Briles in the recruiting game is location.
Baylor can throw a rock from their campus and hit 50 3 star recruits. We have to convince TX, FL, and CA kids to leave their home state to come to IA.

In fact I think the quality of recruits that CPR is getting to come to the state Iowa means that he is a better recruiter than Briles since Baylor doesn't get that much better recruits.

Baylor is improving and Briles is a good coach. However, let's see what they look like without RGIII next year. They were extremely pedestrian when he was hurt a few years ago.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Perspective on Baylor really reflects a person's age. The last 15 years or so were the exception, not the rule. It's a traditionally good football program. But 90 percent of you guys aren't old enough to remember it.

Baylor beat ISU something like 35-0 back in 1988 or so. Absolute arse kicking from A to Z.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
+1,

Meh, Briles has a lot more proof he is a good coach that can turn a program around than Rhoads does. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade, however the facts will lie with Briles on this one.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I still have memories of the absolute pounding we took in Waco in 2008 burned into my brain. Our whole team just looked so awfully slow and unathletic, while RG3 and Wright were tearing us a new one up and down the field. Baylor ran that damn bubble screen for 10+ yards every time. 38-10. Yowza.

And to be surrounded by all 50 of Baylor's fans, with their fingers furled like bear claws, as I marched back to my car in defeat...

We really must make amends for this travesty.

Oh God, and that 2005 game...

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
briles spent some time under mike leach and he learned the spread formation. he was head coach at houston and was very successful.then he was hired away from houston to coach the baylor bears...he can step out his back door and can recuit a 40 mile radius around waco and pull in some decent ballers..
tom herman spent some time under mike leach .did he learn the spread?????
we have the disadvantage that we have to travel to california, texas, and to florida to pull in some decent footballl players.

i think turner gill is finding it quite hard to pull players into kansas. he may get fired if he does not produce this year..when u r at iowa state,kansas or at k state-it is hard to compete for texas recruits when you have north texas state,tcu,smu,
texas tech,baylor,texas,texas a and m,houston and the new team that will be just starting their first season at university of texas ay san antonio.
larry coker has assembled some pretty decent recruits the past 2 or 3 years. he stole a couple of kids in san antonio that coach paul rthoads really wanted..

LOL....There isn`t anything around Waco for 40 miles. Now if you go double that then you would be accurate.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
The issue with Baylor until recently can be traced to one guy... former AD Tom Stanton. (The saddest part was he was in the church supply biz before his hire... dumb move) In his craptacular tenure:

- He fired Chuck Reedy who had been at least decent as head football coach and did so in a way that many felt was premature
- He hired 3 coaches in football after that, of which only Guy Morriss was even remotely competitive.
- He stood by and let Kevin Steele stick around for 4 years despite being far worse than his crappy predecessor. This is taken from Baylor's ask the AD bit from November 2001, year 3 of 4 with Steele getting blown out worse than any BU coach... ever.
James (Dallas): Mr. Stanton: In the past, I have heard you say that hiring Dave Roberts was a mistake and you took responsibility for that. Similarly, I would imagine that you would agree that you were also responsible for firing Chuck Reedy and hiring Kevin Steele. While you may not be ready to admit that hiring Steele was a mistake, can you honestly say you still would have hired him had you known that Baylor would not win a Big XII game for at least 3 years and probably longer under his leadership? Baylor's football program is 13-51 overall and 3-44 in Big XII games under your tenure as Athletic Director. You are responsible for this. While it may be a "standup" thing to admit that you are responsible, there must also be consequences for you as Athletic Director since you are responsible for the current state of Baylor Football. Could you share with us what consequences, if any, you face in your role as Athletic Director as a result of your direct responsibility for the embarrassing state of our football program?

Tom Stanton: The only regret that I have is not bringing Kevin Steele to Baylor University two years earlier. My employment is the direct responsibililty of university administration, which understands where we are in the building process of our football program. I am a total believer in accountability, and I believe university administration is as well. I'm sure if the administration would not support me or my staff, they would effectively convey that information.
Athletic Director Tom Stanton Chat Wrap - Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com

Oh good god that is horrible. Thank god we have Ian McCaw running things now so this crap never happens again...
steele_mack_shoulder_pic.jpg

...aaaand the 2002 Cal Bears just scored again.

- He hired & kept around Dave Bliss because he was "a good christian guy". Great judgement call on that one bud.
- Gave small assistant coach salary budgets
- Took an athletic program that historically was the clear #3 in the final years of the SWC and beat it with an ugly stick. (We had winning records vs all but UT & ATM of the final 8 teams and were better than Tech)

Briles is finally turning the program around and the financial support the program is getting (Phil Bennett the new DC basically had a ton of cash to hire the assistants he wanted) dwarfs anything we have seen at BU since Grant Teaff was coach. We are an easy school to recruit to (within 3 hours of every major TX recruiting base and within 1.5 of DFW & Austin) and we have recruited well in every other sport. My full expectation is for Baylor to spend the next decade at a similar level of success to what Tech & OSU had over the last decade. If we can hold onto CAB, I do not feel that is unrealistic.

Briles has done a fantastic job with a sorry defensive staff up until now. When we hired him we lacked speed and depth on defense and had zero push from our OL in the run game. All of that has changed IMO.

(btw ISU is probably going to replace KU's spot of north team that can occasionally make a big time run but be solid otherwise that they enjoyed under Mangino. Rhoads is a very good coach. I think KU is in for a world of hurt unless Gill gets better assistants as his initial hires failed at stops with more relative talent to their competition. You won't have more talent at KU than you will face going against UT & OU.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Perspective on Baylor really reflects a person's age. The last 15 years or so were the exception, not the rule. It's a traditionally good football program. But 90 percent of you guys aren't old enough to remember it.

Baylor beat ISU something like 35-0 back in 1988 or so. Absolute arse kicking from A to Z.

Except when you're talking about a time span of 15 years, exception BECOMES the rule. You said it yourself - an entire generation only knows of Baylor as a suckfest. What Baylor did 15-20 years ago is irrelevant - Baylor can't sell recruits on it and it doesn't put arses in the seats.

Want a true example of exception to the rule? Iowa the last year of Haden Fry's career and the first 3 years of Kirk Ferentz's. With the exception of that 4 year blip and a year or two here and here, at least 8 wins and/or relevant bowl game is the rule.

But there's no such thing as a 15 year exception - when something goes on for that long it's a well-established rule.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I still have memories of the absolute pounding we took in Waco in 2008 burned into my brain. Our whole team just looked so awfully slow and unathletic, while RG3 and Wright were tearing us a new one up and down the field. Baylor ran that damn bubble screen for 10+ yards every time. 38-10. Yowza.

And to be surrounded by all 50 of Baylor's fans, with their fingers furled like bear claws, as I marched back to my car in defeat...

We really must make amends for this travesty.

Oh God, and that 2005 game...

did you forget about 2009 and 2004?

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
did you forget about 2009 and 2004?
2004- Close game that could have gone either way and finished with a 1 point margin. We outgained you 450 to 257. You had a fumble return td to help win it and a clear push off by Blythe to keep the final TD drive alive on a long catch IIRC. If ISU fans call 2005 a fluke, we reserve the right to do the same here.

2009- No RG3 and tons of injuries as well on defense and NFL drafted RB Jay Finley. Despite all this it was a 14 point final score with almost identical yards per play. Give us RG3 and we likely win IMO.

Congrats on the two wins here but neither was some epic beatdown. Anything in the Big 12 before that was in the dark ages for BU where most beat us or you should be embarrassed you didn't.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
We are greatly improved this year. I think we win easily.
Idk, I just watched the Illinois vs. Baylor game on the BTN. Count me as one thats not scared.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron