First day for Freshman - Strength and Conditioning

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Heard some good things about David Irving from a friend in the know today. Apparently he has the athleticism we were hoping for and got a steal. He broad jumped over 10' today, something only 4 other players on the entire team did and he's a true freshman DE. Pretty impressive.

Also heard some really good things about Robert Standard. Sounds like he has the frame to put on some weight and be a quality RB.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Irving and Miller WILL both be big time players for the Cyclones before its all said and done. You heard it here. But then again I think most of you have heard by now they have the potential.. I think they were big steals for us. And they aren't the only good guys we have coming in.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Irving and Miller WILL both be big time players for the Cyclones before its all said and done. You heard it here. But then again I think most of you have heard by now they have the potential.. I think they were big steals for us. And they aren't the only good guys we have coming in.

Steals in the sense that ISU seemed to be the only ones to find those guys, definitely.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008

I'll take the bet on Irving. I think Miller will be one of those guys that we all agree made a significant contribution to ISU football before he's done (although he's not ready this year). I will be surprised if Irving is ever more than a situational pass rusher.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'll take the bet on Irving. I think Miller will be one of those guys that we all agree made a significant contribution to ISU football before he's done (although he's not ready this year). I will be surprised if Irving is ever more than a situational pass rusher.

If he's broad jumping 10', he's going to be plenty athletic. I would bet that he ends up more than a situational pass rusher. He may need a few years to put on some muscle, but with those long arms, he should be able to keep OLs off him without really locking horns with them.

I'd like to see how Lemke, Nealy, Lampkin, Brackens and Daniels tested.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
If he's broad jumping 10', he's going to be plenty athletic. I would bet that he ends up more than a situational pass rusher. He may need a few years to put on some muscle, but with those long arms, he should be able to keep OLs off him without really locking horns with them.

I'd like to see how Lemke, Nealy, Lampkin, Brackens and Daniels tested.

mcknight was/is athletic. just sayin.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

In the big 12 you use a "situational pass rusher" as you call it, just about all the time.

Mizzou-every down
Texas-every down
ATm-every down
Okst-every down
Ksu-maybe not on first down or second and short
Ku-dont really know
Baylor-every down
Tech-every down
Oklahoma-every down

Besides that, if he gets to 280 or so he will be fine against the run not to mention you are taking it for granted that we will have a better option against the run

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
I was around for a bit and I was most impressed by Robert Standard.

To keep it short....he could become a feature back.
I'd love to have him at LB but his future is at RB.

Great young man to have in the program.

Reactions: LeaningCy

Apr 19, 2006
So do we know who has all made it to campus? I can't remember the academic risks, can anybody refresh my memory?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
mcknight was/is athletic. just sayin.

Well there we go. Case closed. One athlete had athleticism in a completely different sport and transferred after his freshman year, so logically another freshmen in football will not be able to contribute as anything more than a pass rusher in his entire career. :jimlad:

Football is really about developing talent and playing Juniors and Seniors. If you are starting sophomores and freshmen it usually means you are either too thin at that position or you have a stud playing. Just because a freshman's strength is athleticism doesn't mean that he can't ever learn the other things that go into playing a position and doesn't mean he can't use the skills he has to contribute.

I know athleticism doesn't mean that a player will absolutely be a contributor but size mixed with athleticism will allow him to at least contribute in spot duty relatively early in his career. I firmly believe that if Irving doesn't redshirt he will bring something to the DE position we don't already have (6'7" 250/260) and if he does redshirt he will contribute as a RS Freshman next year. We just don't have anyone with his skillset on our entire team.

Last edited:

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I was around for a bit and I was most impressed by Robert Standard.

To keep it short....he could become a feature back.
I'd love to have him at LB but his future is at RB.

Great young man to have in the program.

Isn't he only 5'8" and 180ish lbs?

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Offensive guys are out enjoying themselves tonight. I'd assume it was just defense today that were ran hard. Off guys said they max out on Mon. Teddy & Standard are good kids to talk to.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Well there we go. Case closed. One athlete had athleticism in a completely different sport and transferred after his freshman year, so logically another freshmen in football will not be able to contribute as anything more than a pass rusher in his entire career. :jimlad:

Football is really about developing talent and playing Juniors and Seniors. If you are starting sophomores and freshmen it usually means you are either too thin at that position or you have a stud playing. Just because a freshman's strength is athleticism doesn't mean that he can't ever learn the other things that go into playing a position and doesn't mean he can't use the skills he has to contribute.

I know athleticism doesn't mean that a player will absolutely be a contributor but size mixed with athleticism will allow him to at least contribute in spot duty relatively early in his career. I firmly believe that if Irving doesn't redshirt he will bring something to the DE position we don't already have (6'7" 250/260) and if he does redshirt he will contribute as a RS Freshman next year. We just don't have anyone with his skillset on our entire team.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make.
For one...Dave isnt near 6'7" yet.
He's exactly my height...6'4"-6'5".
You say he's 250-260? Not unless he swallowed a lead bar this morning.
He's about 225-230...tops.
Right now he looks more like a basketball player.

Great frame to put weight on in the right places.
Super athlete that will contribute in a year or two.

In 2 years he could be

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

In 2 years he could be

David Irving is taller than 6'4 to 6'5. I've talked to him before (nice kid) and I am 6'4 and he towers over me. I do agree that he looked around 220 but he has a nice frame and I see him playing at 6'7 255 to 265 during his time at ISU

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I took my info directly from Coach Paul Rhoads. He said they recruited him/he committed at 230 pounds and when spring rolled around they were pleasantly surprised that he was 250. Maybe it was 240 and 250 im not sure. My logic was that if he was 250 in spring I assume with another 4 or 5 months and then summer strength training he could put on some more weight. Height wise I have never seen him listed at anything other than 6'7" so that is what I go off of.

David Irving - Yahoo! Sports

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle...&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=205073882#davidirving

My point was at the poster who compared him to Eric McKnight which was beyond stupid.

That lead me to other tangents as I went haha. My point is that DE isn't so hard to learn that you can't get enough knowledge in 2 years to add to the athleticism that you already have and apply it on the field. It isn't like playing quarterback.

Last edited:

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009

In 2 years he could be
Might have been JaQuarius Daniels? He was one of the best bball players in Austin and fits your size description.

I'm surprised we're 17 posts in and no mention on Pompey? I thought he would be one of the most impressive.

Captain, love your insight, if you have any more tidbits I'm sure many of us would love to hear it. We still have 84 days to get through. Can't wait for football!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
From the video that I've seen, if he were ever only a "situational pass rusher", they would switch him to tight end--and still have a future FL player. The kid can run, and has amazingly soft hands.

David Irving is taller than 6'4 to 6'5. I've talked to him before (nice kid) and I am 6'4 and he towers over me. I do agree that he looked around 220 but he has a nice frame and I see him playing at 6'7 255 to 265 during his time at ISU
I did note that his hometown paper kept billing DI at 6'8".

That lead me to other tangents as I went haha. My point is that DE isn't so hard to learn that you can't get enough knowledge in 2 years to add to the athleticism that you already have and apply it on the field. It isn't like playing quarterback.
I seem to recall that at about 6'2" 215, Jason Berryman did okay rushing the passer simply using his speed and athleticism as a frosh.

....He said they recruited him/he committed at 230 pounds and when spring rolled around they were pleasantly surprised that he was 250. Maybe it was 240 and 250 im not sure.
I won't argue with anyone who has met him (which seems to be contrasting viewpoints), but having seen the videos of David's HS play, the way he twoered all of the other players, it would seem to me that if he were only 6'4", the rest of them must have been about 5'6".

If he was 250 on signing day, it was a lean 250. And he did look significantly bigger in photos from then than the previous fall.

I took my info directly from Coach Paul Rhoads...
The other thing that I took from Signing Day was that the staff said that Irving was the steal of the class. Anyone remember the last time they said something like that, and who they referred to?

Yeah, that's right--a kid named Jake Knott.