Steele Jantz-Jerome Tiller-James Capello-Jared Barnett...

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Sounds like it could be an interesting battle for starting QB for Iowa State. I see Jantz with a more accurate arm, and strong command of the offense. Tiller is very athletic and has some starting experience at Iowa State. Curious on how others see this battle. (and sorry if I left out Capello and Barnett)

Last edited:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Re: Steele Jantz-Jerome Tiller

I wouldn't count out Capello just yet. If he was able to get a handle on the offense during the season I see him as someone who combines those qualities.

He is more of a passer, but as we saw when he got a chance to play he can move too.

I don't care who wins, I just want someone in there who can complete passes and move us forward as a team. If that is a running quarterback then so be it, but I believe that we need more of a passer to truly make this offense hum.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Sounds like it could be an interesting battle for starting QB for Iowa State. I see Jantz with a more accurate arm, and strong command of the offense. Tiller is very athletic and has some starting experience at Iowa State. Curious on how others see this battle.

Careful, when you leave names out people get upset.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I still think it will be a four person race. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I think Jantz will win the battle for the reasons mentioned. I've heard suggestions that he may already have a better grasp of the offense than Tiller.

I'm really hoping we use Tiller in a Kerry Meier role if Jantz wins. There's absolutely no reason you can't be a back up QB and starting WR. With Tiller's athleticism and burst you'd have to think he'd be an immediate upgrade at a position where we desparately need a boost of athleticism.

I don't think Barnett and Capello are legitimate threats to win the battle just yet. Not convinced Capello ever will, and think Barnett will be positioned to take over when Jantz/Tiller take over.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009

As long as whoever it is can make accurate passes I will be pleased.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

I would be shocked if Jantz isn't the starter next year.

I hear good things about Barnett and I think Sam Richardson's video is the most impressive out of a HS QB we have had in a long while

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I think Jantz will win the battle for the reasons mentioned. I've heard suggestions that he may already have a better grasp of the offense than Tiller.

I'm really hoping we use Tiller in a Kerry Meier role if Jantz wins. There's absolutely no reason you can't be a back up QB and starting WR. With Tiller's athleticism and burst you'd have to think he'd be an immediate upgrade at a position where we desparately need a boost of athleticism.

I don't think Barnett and Capello are legitimate threats to win the battle just yet. Not convinced Capello ever will, and think Barnett will be positioned to take over when Jantz/Tiller take over.

The whole problem with putting Tiller at WR is that the third string guy at QB has to be pretty close to him. Obviously, it would be great if we could utilize him, but it's not just a simple as throwing him out there. If he is a lot better than the third string QB you can't risk the injury, at least not a lot of the time.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I would be shocked if Jantz isn't the starter next year.

I hear good things about Barnett and I think Sam Richardson's video is the most impressive out of a HS QB we have had in a long while

I agree with this. Scout actually has JQ ranked way above SR though. I have no idea how you could possibly do that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The whole problem with putting Tiller at WR is that the third string guy at QB has to be pretty close to him. Obviously, it would be great if we could utilize him, but it's not just a simple as throwing him out there. If he is a lot better than the third string QB you can't risk the injury, at least not a lot of the time.

Risking injury is a small price to pay for an immediate upgrade at a position.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Risking injury is a small price to pay for an immediate upgrade at a position.

Do we know Tiller is an immediate upgrade there?

Mike Holmgren once said Seneca would be a Pro Bowl receiver. They couldn't afford to put him there all of the time though because if he get's injured and the starting QB get's injured, you have lost a lot of ability at the QB position.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Well yes, but it the overthrown, under thrown passes I have seen for the last i don't know long kills me. It is amazing what a pass thrown in stride does for receivers. Opens up the their YAC abilities.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Well yes, but it the overthrown, under thrown passes I have seen for the last i don't know long kills me. It is amazing what a pass thrown in stride does for receivers. Opens up the their YAC abilities.

Which also makes the defense respect the pass and not use press coverage all day.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Jantz is the man to beat. Listen to the interviews from the coaching staff on Cyclones.com and youll see what I'm saying. I believe its a three way race with Jantz, Capello, and Barnett. Whoever wins the battle will have to work for the job and will make them better and make our other youngsters better down the road.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
You don't bring in a Juco QB to not play. I think the staff fully expects Jantz to start and it is his job to lose.

If some one beats him out I'm hoping it is either Capello or Barnett because I just don't think we win many ballgames with Tiller running the show.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

They'll have to hold on to the ball first.

The passing game has been maddeningly inconsistent over the past few years, but the receivers are just as much of, if not a bigger, problem than the QBs.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
An accurate QB can make average receivers look pretty darned good. I want the guy who can move the team and make the passes we need.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
IMO, it's easier to find some fast receivers who can get off the line of scrimmage than it is to find that laser accurate QB who can make other guys look better.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
What QB's redshirt and which ones could possibly transfer out after the season or possibly after spring ball?

Help Support Us

Become a patron