Need to know

Capello

Sep 21, 2010
Is it my imagination or are the campus police really gung ho about giving out parking tickets. James got several and i got one when we could not park on the grass and i thought i was legally parked but got a ticket when they told us they would be lenient because of the parking issues. Just wondering??

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Tell your son to quit parking where he shouldn't. It won't take long (due to being ticketed several times) before they have it towed on the spot. $100 was the going average for the tow when I was at ISU in the early to mid-2000's.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I wouldn't take them lightly, they have been bad for decades. I think my sister had to pay about $700 of old tickets before she could get her diploma.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
They're stiff. They have so lots of DPS trucks doing rounds every hour(to get new people every time a new class starts).

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Is it my imagination or are the campus police really gung ho about giving out parking tickets. James got several and i got one when we could not park on the grass and i thought i was legally parked but got a ticket when they told us they would be lenient because of the parking issues. Just wondering??

Yes, they are crazy gung ho. 10 years ago, DPS (campus police) were bringing in 3 million bucks a year just on parking tickets. That was 10 years ago. Who knows what it is now.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Is it really "gung ho" to give people tickets when they park where they shouldn't?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yes, they are crazy gung ho. 10 years ago, DPS (campus police) were bringing in 3 million bucks a year just on parking tickets. That was 10 years ago. Who knows what it is now.

considering theyve jacked the prices way up since then, its gotta be way, way more.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Ames and Iowa City are the only places in the state where they will arrest you for an unpaid parking ticket. Trust me, I know.
They have an unhealthy love for their mediocre job.

Reactions: AlleyAddict

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Unfortunately, Ames is notorious for its, shall I say, "unfriendly" parking enforcement.

I've told this story before on here, but once I was watching TV and heard some rustling outside. I go out there and find a parking cop writing a ticket for my car, which is parked in its own driveway. Cop says,"Your car is 1" on the grass." I was like WTH? I'm parked in my own driveway. He let me move it, but just an example of how they go looking for it.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
It is because it isn't the police giving out the tickets, it is the parking division at dps that exists solely for the purpose of giving out tickets that is doing this. The ISU cop I know told me that the police basically could care less where you park as long as it is in a spot. Parking division, however, hires students who do nothing but drive around all day looking for cars to give tickets to. I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I've heard that the parking people get paid extra based on the number of tickets they give out.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
They have been bad for a long time. Had a family member rack up over $2500 in parking tickets in the first semester of 2000 (Got a DUI, parked her car in front of Friley, didn't check it for 2 months - somehow, never towed). No idea how much that would be now.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Is it really "gung ho" to give people tickets when they park where they shouldn't?

Kinda.
If the cops had the capacity to ticket every single speeder, people would call them "gung ho".
It would obviously be legal, but very over-the-top.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Kinda.
If the cops had the capcity to ticket every single speeder, people would call them "gung ho".
It would obviously be legal, but very over-the-top.
Well not every person that parks illegally gets a ticket though do they?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
They have been bad for a long time. Had a family member rack up over $2500 in parking tickets in the first semester of 2000 (Got a DUI, parked her car in front of Friley, didn't check it for 2 months - somehow, never towed). No idea how much that would be now.

Pretty sure now they always tow after 3 tickets.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I think it's always been this way. My husbad tells me stories of when he was there 19yrs ago. You really have to learn where and when to park so they can't ticket you. Or just use CyRide :)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

It's not usually police that give out tickets. Students who work for DPS and can issue tickets for improperly parked vehicles and this allows for constant parking enforcement. There were days where I had accumulated multiple tickets on my car because a different student could come by every 1-2 hours and write up a new ticket. My own fault for not plugging the meters I guess...

Edit: JSmith pointed this out earlier

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'm sure glad you didn't find out about Parking "Services" during James' recruitment or he might have chosen another school.

Seriously they are gung-ho and have been so since before I attended in the mid '80's. They did raise the fines a few times because the fines they were charging before weren't enough of a deterrent. I heard countless people say it was worth the fine to get that space. They just looked at it like paying for parking like you do near most urban schools. If they happened to not get ticketed every time it was a big win.