MLB: Selig NOT going to overturn missed call...should he have?

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think he should have...if nothing else to relieve the stress on Jim Joyce...I feel for that guy...

The outcome of the game would not have been affected and it's a yes/no call...not an intepretive call.

I realize it may open a whole can of worms but it just seems like it would really have no negative effect and it would only be positive for Jim Joyce...you can tell that guy is heartbroken about it.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It is a can of worms...

What I'm wondering about is how can 2 perfect games be thrown within a week of each other? Has the the strike zone been changed that much in the last 30 years?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I read on MSNBC this morning that MLB threw out nearly 50 perfect games for a variety of reason (which they didn't delve into) back around 1990.

Not sure why you couldn't put one in that was rightfully earned.

In my mind, if you have the ability to correct the mistake - you should. This is a historical moment that is easily correctable.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I read on MSNBC this morning that MLB threw out nearly 50 perfect games for a variety of reason (which they didn't delve into) back around 1990.

Not sure why you couldn't put one in that was rightfully earned.

In my mind, if you have the ability to correct the mistake - you should. This is a historical moment that is easily correctable.

Mine, too. It's pretty simple.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Definitely not. What they should do is admit that their rules, namely lack of replay, is terrible and will cost this kid a perfect game. If they want to correct things like this they need to make it so it can be corrected during the game, not after.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I agree, give him the perfect game - he did actually pitch it and the only thing which prevented it was a terrible terrible terrible call. If they can throw out perfect games, they should be able to give them out.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Simple answer is no...In my mind, the league cannot undermine the umps on this.

The NBA does with their technical fouls but that is already a league where people believe that everything is rigged. Would the Celtics have won the Eastern conference finals if the league hadn't overturned Perkins technical? Not in game 6.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Selig is in denial. If he overturns it, then he has no argument that instant replay should be instituted, which he is vehemently opposed to. Basically he's refusing to admit that baseball has a problem, avenues are already in place to fix the problem, but his pride is getting in the way of doing the right thing. Because Selig is vehemently opposed to it, he is too prideful to admit that he is wrong.

isucy1234

Apr 2, 2009
Simply, yes. He should have.

Eventually, it's inevitable that instant replays will be present in the MLB. There isn't/won't ever be a better situation to use one in than this one. Period.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Definitely not. What they should do is admit that their rules, namely lack of replay, is terrible and will cost this kid a perfect game. If they want to correct things like this they need to make it so it can be corrected during the game, not after.

I think it's two separate issues, but you're right.

I suppose I don't understand why they have replay for foul/fair. But not for something seemingly more important like out/safe.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I think he should have, that guy deserved his name in the history books, but at the same time it makes plenty of sense why he wouldn't. There are many of examples of games where one missed call has affected the outcome. If Selig overturns this call, I guarantee he will have plenty of other people angry at him for not reversing other missed calls that have affected games. He can't give this call special treatment, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else. It sucks for baseball...but until they change something about instant replay this is how it's gonna be.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Simple answer is no...In my mind, the league cannot undermine the umps on this.

The NBA does with their technical fouls but that is already a league where people believe that everything is rigged. Would the Celtics have won the Eastern conference finals if the league hadn't overturned Perkins technical? Not in game 6.

And to think I almost thought the NBA was getting better/watchable in terms of officiating. Like the league execs weren't drooling over all the bandwagoning Lakers/Celtics fans from back in the 80's....

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

They talked about that on ESPN...they said those were mostly no hitters and they were thrown out because they were shortened games...not a full 9 innings.

Reactions: DaddyMac

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't think so and I don't think baseball should have replay either...it's already a slow game don't make it slower.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So lets say guy has a 3-2 count on a guy 2 outs in the 9th, pitching a perfect game. Ump calls ball 4 on a borderline pitch, is that reviewable?

Same principle as the out and safe call because there is the technology to determine if it was a strike or not..

Tough luck, but you cannot overturn the call.

Reactions: statsaholic

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
It's a tough decision.

If you would overturn this then what becomes fair game to also overturn???

It's a crappy situation. In this case, what makes babseball great, the human element, has put a black eye on the game. (For the moment)

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Yes he should have but not surprised he didn't. The guy is a terrible commissioner. This is just another terrible decision like the tie all star game and putting home field advantage on the line. I wish baseball could remove Selig from his position. He is a disgrace to the game of baseball.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
They also mentioned on ESPN that they (I think it was Selig) went back and took away Pedro Martinez's perfect game that he had through 9 innings because he lost it in the 10th inning.

So there is some sort of precedent.

It is a slippery slope...it's just too bad. Galarraga turned in the Tigers line up card to Joyce today (who's umping behind the plate) and Joyce was in tears.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
So lets say guy has a 3-2 count on a guy 2 outs in the 9th, pitching a perfect game. Ump calls ball 4 on a borderline pitch, is that reviewable?

Same principle as the out and safe call because there is the technology to determine if it was a strike or not..

Tough luck, but you cannot overturn the call.

There is the can of worms. How far do you take it?

I can completely see where you never allow replay for ball/strikes. Not much different to me than penalties being non-reviewable in football.

But it would seem to me the rest of the game should be open to review. Outs, fair/foul.

Fair and foul is the only thing reviewable currently right? Can't review catches or things like last night (obviously).

Take your example another direction.... 3-2, batter jacks one over the left field pole. Perfect game goes bye-bye.... but wait! Under further review it was deemed foul and he swings and misses on the next pitch to preserve the perfect game. So in some ways, they are already overturning the calls.

Someone said it earlier - need to make it so it can be corrected during the game.

For me, it's not an issue of changing the outcome of the game but rather giving the due to the historical significance of the game.

Last edited: