MLB: Selig NOT going to overturn missed call...should he have?

cycfan

Nov 8, 2006
I think it should be corrected. There is no downside to giving this kid the perfect game he deserves. It gives Galaragga his perfect game, gets Joyce off the hook and is simply the right thing to do because it hurts nobody while correcting an egregious error. The main argument against it is that it will open a can of worms for future requests to change calls, but I doubt this will happen. If I remember correctly, the George Brett pine tar game had the umpire call overruled after the game and I think they gave him back the HR and actually replayed the end of the game. That was what 30 years ago and this is the first time something like this has come up since?
If we can exonerate a convicted murderer because dna evidence proves he is innocent, why can't we correct an obvious error in a GAME.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I am very split on this. I feel the perfect game needs to somehow be recognized. The problem is this-Where do you stop? How far can this go. IMO I think he made the right decision. If you start overturning calls the day before the game, in a game that is officiated so much by perception, and not on black and white rules, then you open a can of worms no one wants to see.

I do think there needs to be instant replay on the field.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
It is a can of worms...

What I'm wondering about is how can 2 perfect games be thrown within a week of each other? Has the the strike zone been changed that much in the last 30 years?

More like you have a bunch of players that are no longer on steroids and there are almost no players left that hit for contact because players on steroids were taking their spot on the roster.

The decision would not have changed the outcome of the game, only the stats. Selig is making another poor decision. I am biased since I have not liked the guy since he wanted to contract the Twins.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I wish that he could but if he does overturn the call then this sets a horrible precedence for the future. Can you change a play that might affect an important game. The Matt Holliday play when he was with the Rockies comes to mind. You can't change an umpires call after the fact because then managers will be wanting to change any important call that affects their team.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think it should be corrected. There is no downside to giving this kid the perfect game he deserves. It gives Galaragga his perfect game, gets Joyce off the hook and is simply the right thing to do because it hurts nobody while correcting an egregious error.

My sentiments exactly; stated much more eloquently that I could.

I don't buy the slippery slope or can of worms argument; they're logical fallacies. Evaluate this case on its own merit.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think he should have overturned it. It seems like the perfect opportunity to do it. It wasn't like it was the 2nd out of the 6th inning that got screwed up. It was the last out. Nothing could have happened at that point to change the outcome of the game.

The way that Joyce and Detroit and the pitcher have handled this makes you really, really want Selig to do the right thing and overturn it. Sometimes you need to make an exception for something.

Apr 23, 2010
Denver, CO
I think he should have overturned it. It seems like the perfect opportunity to do it. It wasn't like it was the 2nd out of the 6th inning that got screwed up. It was the last out. Nothing could have happened at that point to change the outcome of the game.

The way that Joyce and Detroit and the pitcher have handled this makes you really, really want Selig to do the right thing and overturn it. Sometimes you need to make an exception for something.

if you change that call you open the flood gates to change every call that happend before or will happen after this point. keep the game pure, but the replay rules as they stand are not sufficient. i dont think balls and strikes should ever be able to be disputed but plays that change the outcome of the game should be able to be reviewed.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
No way. Human judgement and the chance of a call going for/against you is part of the stigma of baseball. Take away the human element and you ruin the game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
if you change that call you open the flood gates to change every call that happend before or will happen after this point. keep the game pure, but the replay rules as they stand are not sufficient. i dont think balls and strikes should ever be able to be disputed but plays that change the outcome of the game should be able to be reviewed.
See I don't think you do anything to the game if you reverse this call. You would do that if you reversed a call after the fact and it was the 2nd out in the 3rd inning or something. But not the very last out of the game.

Making exceptions is not an evil thing.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
While there at it they could fix the result of game six of the Royals/Cardinals WS

When I saw the replay, that's the first thing I thought of - Jorge Orta. I am a Cubs fan so I hate the Cardinals, but it was the exact same play. Personally, I feel having a World Series stolen from a team is a bigger deal than a perfect game stolen from an individual. Both are unfortunate, but you can't change things after the fact.

Harvey Haddix pitched perfect baseball for twelve innings and lost his game on an error in the 13th. Ernie Shore pitched a "perfect game" in relief of Babe Ruth, who was ejected after walking the lead-off batter. Neither of them are in the record book...

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When I saw the replay, that's the first thing I thought of - Jorge Orta. I am a Cubs fan so I hate the Cardinals, but it was the exact same play. Personally, I feel having a World Series stolen from a team is a bigger deal than a perfect game stolen from an individual. Both are unfortunate, but you can't change things after the fact.

Harvey Haddix pitched perfect baseball for twelve innings and lost his game on an error in the 13th. Ernie Shore pitched a "perfect game" in relief of Babe Ruth, who was ejected after walking the lead-off batter. Neither of them are in the record book...

Yes you can. The official scorekeeper has a day to reconsider hit/error calls and make a change to the official statistics. Of course, that doesn't affect the outcome of the game. Just like making a change in this case wouldn't.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I think he should have...if nothing else to relieve the stress on Jim Joyce...I feel for that guy...

The outcome of the game would not have been affected and it's a yes/no call...not an intepretive call.

I realize it may open a whole can of worms but it just seems like it would really have no negative effect and it would only be positive for Jim Joyce...you can tell that guy is heartbroken about it.

There's nothing quaint about baseball refusing to make getting it right a priority all these years. The spirit of sport and competition requires that performance on the field be rewarded, or not - correctly. Football, basketball, even Hockey have made this a priority. Baseball is just wrong on this one. TGhey need to just get it right.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
I know umps and players are different here... but look at it this way too:

If the first baseman booted the ball for an error on the 27th out, do you give him the perfect game? Wasn't the pitchers fault, it was an error.

In this case, the umpire is the one that had an error. Still part of the game.

In my opinion, a very good comment. I say, it is a game with traditions, and leave the instant replays out. Yes, there will be mistakes.. that is part of the game. If an umpire screws up enough, he isnt back. I think just because we have technology to do things doesn't mean that we have to do all the things.

And another point... I think the pitcher may have garnered himself almost an even greater position in history with his asterisk-near-perfect game (this asterisk is a positive one). And the class way in which essentially all the parties handled themselves, showing the people they might be role-models for how to handle things as adults and with reason. That is the big deal to me.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
It is baseball. Humans play the game and officiate the game. A perfect game is special because everyone involved made it possible to be perfect. Joyce made an imperfect call which makes it not a perfect game. If you overturn this, you have to overturn stolen bases, dropped catches, strikes, balls, missed bases, catchers interference, dropped 3rd strikes, did he go strikes?, is the pitcher on the rubber, is the batter in the box? etc. It's baseball. It's a beautiful game because of so many rules and judgements. The current rules of replay are stupid because that is not what the game is a about. It is about the players playing and the umpires making what they believe is the right call.

If you overturn the call, what does that really do? Puts a name in the history book with an asterik. I'm sure Galarraga is over it by now because baseball players know what baseball is and what happened last night is baseball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron