Shut up about Wayne Morgan

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Perhaps Morgan isn't coaching because he is sick of politics in college basketball.
The winningest coach in ISU history (% wise) for a coach's first three seasons was not good enough to keep him here because donor's with some money did not like him.

If Morgan is a loser, I want losers to coach this basketball team all the time.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why'd we lose a pair of scholarships then?

If we are comparing lost schollies and players, I think more players have been lost under the current regime per year. However, someone can reverify. The turnover hurts the current team for experience more than we want to admit.

If we had kept a Taggart, a Mike taylor, a Wesley, a Cory Johnson, even a Ross Marsden, we could have formed a more metally tough team. Instead we keep having to replace the roster spots and look like dees in the headlights come conference. The first ten minutes was an abomination.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
how bout focus on the positives and talk about how hamilton is becoming a real player. greg's coaching is not the downfall of this team.

Hamilton is a load and persistent. I am very pleasantly surprised and he does have lots more upside especially if he starts to shoot the 12-15 footer

He also makes fewer mistakes than his teammates. The team needs to get past making dumb decisions: bad shots, forced passes, stepping out of bounds, not fouling at key times, not keeping vision down court, throwing away lob passes, failure to go to the floor to get the ball, getting decent rebounding poisition before the ball hits the rim, watching the other team react, and poor out of bound passes.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Perhaps Morgan isn't coaching because he is sick of politics in college basketball.
The winningest coach in ISU history (% wise) for a coach's first three seasons was not good enough to keep him here because donor's with some money did not like him.

If Morgan is a loser, I want losers to coach this basketball team all the time.

I don't think we need anymore connections with D-1 scheduling from which the guy who ran it was being investigated for funneling AAU players to teams that were using them. Ummmm.... How about no.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
He was better than Mac, one 2nd round tourny apperance, an NIT final 4, and bringing in alot more big 12 caliber players dont lie. Just Sayin'

Yeah what amazed me about Wayne was that in his first year he went to the nit/nyc with a pair of freshmen guards.

I'm NOT saying that Wayne was a better coach than gmac...but one fact no one can dispute is that Wayne was a way better RECRUITER than mcdermott!!

After the 1975 football season I asked coach earle bruce why he only won four games...after hemming and hawing he finally said well....you have to realize that you cant play what you cant recruit....

Recruiting and lack of talent is McDermott's biggest problem.....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
maybe because he is is almost 60 and has recieved enough money from isu to retire

Wayne was a successful coach at ISU. That is the bottom line.

Tim and LE also had their primetime moments also. Although Wayne's basketball team looked disorganized, it was fun to watch most of time, and he did bring in some good players.

The current coach is having a tough time in conference as there are only about two to three teams that we can routinely beat. I just do not know when that may change. I think most people can write this year off, but it is the next two-three years that we are all thinking about. If we could not get it going this year, what can we expect for the next two years?

All comments aside, we are having a tough time at the guard position. We look totally out of sync working between the back court and front court. Unfortunately for development, the season is almost over. Of the guards, SC looks to be playing the best at this point although he is not big enough or quite fast enough to fully guard some of the Big 12 guards. However, he is young and has mono, so he will be much better in the future.

I just hope we are not on a Barry Collier path for the future.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
:biglaugh::biglaugh: We're currently 2-9 in Big 12 play, there's no excuses. He's in year four, no other coach gets this pass "I don't know what it takes to win in the Big 12." Even if that's a valid excuse for the first two years, which it's not, it's not one for the last two.

And yes, we had a great recruiter originally. how the **** do you think we got craig brackins in his second year? Brackins was a five star and a top 25 player. We also got DG, who was top 130 nationally.

Do a little research on him, he wasn't even THAT great at UNI. He was 49-41 in conference play in the MVC in something like six seasons. He's really not as great as you think.

Listen, this is a business. You don't pay a guy almost $1 million a year to sit around for two years and say "Well, I don't know what it takes...but I'm going to get rich doing it." I hope you don't own a business. There's no excuses for this, you think Mike Anderson had this excuse? NO...there's no ******* excuses for this. If the previous years were like the first year, I'd say okay this year...whatever. However, it's been the same every year with him.

He has been the WORST COACH since Lynn ******* Nance of the mid 70s. That's over 30 seasons. Give me a break!

I Agree..........btw Travis Ford osu coach has won 68% of his games in his first two years....NOT bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Wayne Morgan Wayne Morgan

Reactions: CyGuy33

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
First off....WAY BETTER CAREER(in fewer games) than McD!!!!
Secondly....What Violations....last I knew, there were none.(Welcome to prove me wrong)
And Third.......yes I'm ****** off tonight and taking it out on you, no offense, but open your eyes. Morgan>>>>>McDermott, period point blank. Better recruiter, better coach, and most certainly more passionate. Tired of people ripping Morgan over nothing more than winning games and doing the same that ALOT of major schools do with hiring "scheduling coordinators". We never suffered any violations from NCAA and until someone proves to me that the man was "crooked", I'll stick by him and his proven record!!!

"More Passionate"--You must have missed most of his years at Iowa State with that comment. Wayne seemed to be asleep most times on the bench. More importantly if you are correct, and he is this "great coach" then why doesn't he have a job coaching basketball anymore?

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
"More Passionate"--You must have missed most of his years at Iowa State with that comment. Wayne seemed to be asleep most times on the bench. More importantly if you are correct, and he is this "great coach" then why doesn't he have a job coaching basketball anymore?

I am not sure why Morgan isn't a coach. If we let GMac go right now, how many schools would be beating down his door?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If we had kept a Taggart, a Mike taylor, a Wesley, a Cory Johnson, even a Ross Marsden, we could have formed a more metally tough team. Instead we keep having to replace the roster spots and look like dees in the headlights come conference. The first ten minutes was an abomination.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch Taggart play at Iowa State or Memphis? "Mentally tough" is not quite the word I would use. Rather I would describe him as a "baby" who would rather "whine" then get back and play defense.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I am not sure why Morgan isn't a coach. If we let GMac go right now, how many schools would be beating down his door?

I'm not sure if people would be beating down his door, but I'm fairly certain he would have a head coaching position in two years.

Once again though my primary focus was on the idea that WM was more passionate. Clearly that is a false assertion.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Will posters stop bringing up Wayne Morgan's mediocre career? We are all frustrated with this season but using revisionist history about how good of a coach he was is not helping anyone. Don't forget his downfalls, violations and a majority of ISU fans calling for change when he was coach.

But this thread is not to rip Morgan - it is simply me begging you to stop bringing him up. We need to focus on Mcdermott and/or the future. Bringing up Morgan over and over again is like going through your ex girlfriends facebook photos and fuming at pictures of her kissing her new boyfriend. Don't do it to yourself - especially in a public forum.

lol..If I was part of the McDermott needs more time crowd I wouldn't want to hear about Morgan either.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Would it be fair to say the one problem with Morgan was not monitoring academic progress, so that when there was the exodus the players were not in great academic standing. I know Mac has said numeous times he had to be careful who he recruited the first few years because another casuality would lose us scholarships. This was one reason why I was willing to give Mac a little more time then was ideal.

Reactions: CyGuy33

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Will posters stop bringing up Wayne Morgan's mediocre career? We are all frustrated with this season but using revisionist history about how good of a coach he was is not helping anyone. Don't forget his downfalls, violations and a majority of ISU fans calling for change when he was coach.

But this thread is not to rip Morgan - it is simply me begging you to stop bringing him up. We need to focus on Mcdermott and/or the future. Bringing up Morgan over and over again is like going through your ex girlfriends facebook photos and fuming at pictures of her kissing her new boyfriend. Don't do it to yourself - especially in a public forum.

Most of the time Morgan gets discussed is when some poster makes a borderline ******** statement about how Gmac is a good coach and Morgan is a terrible coach or when somebody blames him for all of Gmac's failures.

Generally when this happens a reasonable person presents the facts of his career.

He did not have any violations until after he was coach (and the APR may not have happened with him still coaching and no massive player departures) and the majority of ISU fans were not calling for a change during his time as head coach... maybe after the last season a few were but his first two years were good.

I should probably note that his last season was better than any of Gmac's 4 years, and he won several more Big 12 games in 3 years than Gmac will in 4.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Let's also not forget all the players who left the program:
Wes Johnson-Bunch of crap
Corey McIntosh-Jealous of MT
Dodie Dunson-Had a learning disability
Ross Marsden-Wasn't good enough
Cory Johnson
Cameron Lee-Walk on who transferred for playing time
Clayton Vette-Personal problems
Marcus Brister-Knocked up gF
Wes Eikmeier-Wanted to play immediately
Clinton Mann
Lucca Staiger-Selfish D-Bag

The players who were kicked off the team:
Mike Taylor
L.A. Pomlee

Since GMac first started, 36 unique players have played for him.13 of them have either quit the program or kicked off. Meaning, over 36% of all players to play for GMac have left the program they originally bought into.

Yeah, that's really great..it's one thing when it's one or two players, but 13 of 36? .........................................

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The updated filter fixed it for you, Stewo... :wink:

Help Support Us

Become a patron