Shut up about Wayne Morgan

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Can you please explain why? I think it might be your head that needs examined.

If you are intelligent enough to look at the big picture of the direction of the program (I'm not talking about W's and L's) under WM vs. GM then the answer is right in front of you my friend.

Honor before victory. That means something at ISU.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
i'm glad the bolded left, you don't think there was any pressure from the coach to get rid of CJ so Hamilton could come in, are you complaining now about that too? Hamilton is going to be a rebounding machine when it comes to next year and the year after.

It's just more dissapointing that mac missed out on all those players when he could have been getting big 12 talent. thus, he has learned from some recruting mistakes.

Why would you be glad that our coach is missing on so many recruits.

And I would not rip on CJ, he would be an excellent role player for this team... he is scoring 16 pts with 8 rebounds a game, he has ability.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If you are intelligent enough to look at the big picture of the direction of the program (I'm not talking about W's and L's) under WM vs. GM then the answer is right in front of you my friend.

No. Accusing those who have success of cheating is what losers do to justify their losing. Its all based on your speculation anyway. I am sure we weren't doing much of anything differently than the Big 12 schools we compete with.

Regardless of that, I don't see how any reasonable person could like the direction the program is heading under Gmac.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

I am tired of hearing every tv announcer saying McD is a great guy, but hopefully he can pull a win out tonight.

I don't think any other team respects us. I am sure the opponents are like 'awesome we get to play iowa state, mark that this one as a win'. Right now this team's honor is that we are a terrible team. But hey I guess we arent rapists or murders.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
the first couple years he didn't realize what it took to succeed here. he didn't hire a top notch recruiter when he first came here either. i think he has figured it out. he now hired DROB. I'm going to say that you were one of the guys that said look at his past, he wins everywhere he goes and in his third year he improves such and such, well maybe it will take a bit longer. but i believe, just because you don't, doesn't mean he won't win games here.

Not his fault colvin threw a pass between craig's legs, not his fault that gilstrap came out sooo flat, and almost acted like he didn't care.

how bout focus on the positives and talk about how hamilton is becoming a real player. greg's coaching is not the downfall of this team.

Hell yes that is the coaches fault. If these guys don't play with passion, motivation.....that is ON THE COACH.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Morgans a loser, there's a reason he in the satelite tv business and not coaching!!!

Because he has a special-needs kid, built a brand new home for the kid the year he got fired, and wants to not move his family?

He could get a head coaching position, however, he wants a BIG job. Yes, a guy who went 55-39 in the Big 12 and went to the NIT Final 4 and NCAA 2nd Round Tournament can't get a job anywhere in the NCAAs.

Let's cut the ******** and logically think for a minute please.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
No. Accusing those who have success of cheating is what losers do to justify their losing. Its all based on your speculation anyway. I am sure we weren't doing much of anything differently than the Big 12 schools we compete with.

Regardless of that, I don't see how any reasonable person could like the direction the program is heading under Gmac.

Exactly.

Exactly, again.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Because he has a special-needs kid, built a brand new home for the kid the year he got fired, and wants to not move his family?

He could get a head coaching position, however, he wants a BIG job. Yes, a guy who went 55-39 in the Big 12 and went to the NIT Final 4 and NCAA 2nd Round Tournament can't get a job anywhere in the NCAAs.

Very well said my friend!!! Everybody seems to overlook WM's age and family situation while bringing up the BS argument "why is he not coaching now?".

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

My logic tells me that he was given the reins of not one, but two D1 programs. In both cases, there was a glimmer of some success to an outside observer. There were also red flags that were raised concerning doing what needed to be done behind the scenes to build a successful program. If I'm school number 3, I won't buy into the third times a charm theory.

The best comparison between Morgan and McDermott is about how much time they should be given to right the ship. If you advocate pulling the plug, you are creating a situation that severely limits the talent pool for a replacement coach. The coaching profession is much more sympathetic to the hand that McDermott has been dealt than the average fan. Many prospective coaches will not shy away from replacing a coach who lost support of the administration. Most will look for a better opportunity when it's debatable if the two previous coaches were given enough opportunity.

The pool of coaches chomping at the bit to take on the ISU job is not nearly as large as some imagine it to be. We have had two WOW hirings in the history of the program (Orr & John). The rest were either head scratchers or guys who you are hoping can make the leap to a power conference. The reality is that most did not wow the nation once they took over, nor did most of the guys who replaced them.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I am not sure why Morgan isn't a coach. If we let GMac go right now, how many schools would be beating down his door?

Probably every single team in the MOValley except for UNI and Creighton. :yes:

The guy is a mid major coach if there ever was one. He is Steve Alford 2.0. He tore it up in the MOValley, he stunk it up at a Major conference job for far too long, and he will go back toa mid major job and tear it up again.

Look... There are mid major coaches and there are Major Conference coaches.... It is what it is and based on results it is very clear what level he should be coaching at.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
nickwc- I'd say it's far more likely that the people trying to defend Mac now are the same ones that were trying to get rid of Morgan 4 years ago. They are likely the same ones that are trying to revise history under Morgan in a feeble attempt to make Mac look better.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
A couple more points about Morgan:

1.) His team that made the NIT final 4. I don't believe that team even makes the NIT with the current structure in place. You need to be much, MUCH better than a 16-13 ballclub or whatever we were to get in these days.

2.) I remember watching Morgan coached teams and the announcers (Fran F., etc.) would just scratch their heads at what the heck our team was doing. There was ZERO respect for Morgan's coaching abilities amongst any of his peers. His actions behind the scenes were on a fine line with the infractions committee of the NCAA and the athletes he was bringing to Ames have been proven to be dropouts, potheads, & criminals if you have followed their careers (See Theo Davis, P'Allen, etc.).

Honor before victory my friends.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The pool of coaches chomping at the bit to take on the ISU job is not nearly as large as some imagine it to be. We have had two WOW hirings in the history of the program (Orr & John). The rest were either head scratchers or guys who you are hoping can make the leap to a power conference. The reality is that most did not wow the nation once they took over, nor did most of the guys who replaced them.

Nobody said we need a WOW hire. We just want a hire that we can say....

"Hey.... look at that...."

"What is it?"

"I am not 100% sure but it looks like....... OH MY GOD!!!!!! It is.... It's a WIN!!!!!!!!!"

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
nickwc- I'd say it's far more likely that the people trying to defend Mac now are the same ones that were trying to get rid of Morgan 4 years ago. They are likely the same ones that are trying to revise history under Morgan in a feeble attempt to make Mac look better.

Just so nobody is confused.... I did not like WM and I most definitely do not like GMAC. They both suck tremendously only in different areas of the suckiness spectrum. Bottom line is that they both suck. End of Story.

Spam

May 21, 2008

1.) His team that made the NIT final 4. I don't believe that team even makes the NIT with the current structure in place. You need to be much, MUCH better than a 16-13 ballclub or whatever we were to get in these days.

2.) I remember watching Morgan coached teams and the announcers (Fran F., etc.) would just scratch their heads at what the heck our team was doing. There was ZERO respect for Morgan's coaching abilities amongst any of his peers. His actions behind the scenes were on a fine line with the infractions committee of the NCAA and the athletes he was bringing to Ames have been proven to be dropouts, potheads, & criminals if you have followed their careers (See Theo Davis, P'Allen, etc.).

Honor before victory my friends.

Sure. But I don't agree with those that say we have to choose between honor and victory. Mac may bring honor. But we need honor AND victory. And he isn't getting it done. If not, why not promote the life skills coordinator to head coach?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Sure. But I don't agree with those that say we have to choose between honor and victory. Mac may bring honor. But we need honor AND victory. And he isn't getting it done. If not, why not promote the life skills coordinator to head coach?

My post had nothing to do with GMac. It only pertains to WM's tenure.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
All the bull aside, the bottom line is Morgan had winning seasons, top 10 wins at home and on the road, and post season success. GMac has had none of these. Those are the facts you have to live with Morgan bashers, despite your best attempts to revise history.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Well the problem is you are remembering that team incorrectly (I think you are remembering LE's NIT team the year before). That team won over 20 ball games so it entered the NIT with somewhere around 18 or 19 wins. Plus, that team was 7-9 in the Big 12 and was a bubble team for the NCAA Tourney much of the year.

So, your belief is clearly based on an a faulty memory of that teams' record. Yes that team would have been in the NIT easily today. The constant use of revisionist history is one thing that is consistent among all Wayne Morgan bashers... they make things up to fit their view of the situation rather than looking at facts.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Well the problem is you are remembering that team incorrectly (I think you are remembering LE's NIT team the year before). That team won over 20 ball games so it entered the NIT with somewhere around 18 or 19 wins. Plus, that team was 7-9 in the Big 12 and was a bubble team for the NCAA Tourney much of the year.

So, your belief is clearly based on an a faulty memory of that teams' record. Yes that team would have been in the NIT easily today. The constant use of revisionist history is one thing that is consistent among all Wayne Morgan bashers... they make things up to fit their view of the situation rather than looking at facts.

THIS!!!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My take - just because Morgan had a much more successful tenure than McDermott has had doesn't mean I pine for the return of that tenure either. While it was definitely more successful, there is certainly no guarantees he'd still be this successful 4 years later, and a lot of people want to project that kind of success when it may not be warranted. I'm a big believer that we won in spite of Morgan's shortcomings - complete lack in discipline of play, the inmates literally ran the place, hell, he wa known to take naps on the bench - how's that for coaching? I honestly believe that if Morgan were coaching the cast of players that we have right now our record would be a hell of a lot worse over the last 4 years than it is. Then again, to his credit, the cast he'd be working with right now would likely be much better. But then again, maybe not - the program has been in a parabolic decline since some nobody school from Virginia knocked is out of the first round of the NCAA Tournament a decade ago...